• 2020 Recruiting

#15122  by tya1
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 pm
JohnW wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm
According to twitter Garrett Hien, 6-9 F, from Concord NC has committed.
Hien's highlights remind me of Jonny Lawrence's - he is a good looking shooter who is also a tough cover near the basket. Needs to muscle up some but has the frame to do so. Has some quick moves near the hoop and can handle the ball. High ceiling type player.

The Verbal Commits page lists nine other offers - Samford, Wofford, Mercer, Winthrop, App. State, Elon, Toledo, Navy, and San Diego - in addition to the Paladins. LINK
 #15124  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:08 pm
gman wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:23 pm
JohnW wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm
According to twitter Garrett Hien, 6-9 F, from Concord NC has committed.
Great pickup for the Paladins. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8693492/5c ... 15f86cb3e8
Watching the video I see a little "Clay Mounce" in him....good shooter, can put the ball on the floor...maybe not a true banger in the post but a stretch 4 or a big 3......
 #15135  by tya1
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Watching the video I see a little "Clay Mounce" in him....good shooter, can put the ball on the floor...maybe not a true banger in the post but a stretch 4 or a big 3......
The players mentioned as possible recruits this year seem to split into three groups - point guard, wing, and post. If Hien is a possible wing in the mold of Mounce then the bigger players may still be in the mix. We did offer a number of shooting guard/small forward types which hints that is still a focus. I can see Hien as a possible "tweener." Leaves some options.

Commitment alert article from Phenom Hoop Report site.
LINK
 #15140  by PaladinPower
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 pm
To me, Garrett seems more like a Matt Rafferty-lite. I’ve seen sites list him anywhere from 6’7 to 6’9. In the article posted above, CBRtold him he can see him playing positions 1-4. Tells me he is an elite ball handler, shooter, and board man.

He was teammates with fellow recruit Jackson Threadgill. I thought I read a rumor that the two may be a packaged deal, but that could just be heresay. JT has many similar offers from mid major schools.
 #15164  by Paul C
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:44 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 pm
To me, Garrett seems more like a Matt Rafferty-lite. I’ve seen sites list him anywhere from 6’7 to 6’9. In the article posted above, CBRtold him he can see him playing positions 1-4. Tells me he is an elite ball handler, shooter, and board man.

He was teammates with fellow recruit Jackson Threadgill. I thought I read a rumor that the two may be a packaged deal, but that could just be heresay. JT has many similar offers from mid major schools.
the reason I'm going with more of a Mounce comparison is that Hien looks more comfortable on the perimeter than Rafferty, better off the bounce, and more comfortable shooting 3s. But agree that some of Rafferty's "feel" for the game is present in what limited footage I've seen of Hien.
 #15167  by PaladinPower
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:28 pm
Welp.... Spoke too soon. Jackson Threadgill has trimmed his list to 5 schools: Wofford, Mercer, UNCG, Elon, Charlotte.
 #15172  by NCPaladin22
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:34 pm
Sure Threadgill was off the board once we got Anderson. Highlights look like a point guard for his team. I would imagine our last spot would be for a scoring guard. Gurley and Slawson will probably play a lot of minutes for the next few years!
 #15174  by tya1
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 pm
NCPaladin22 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:34 pm
Sure Threadgill was off the board once we got Anderson. Highlights look like a point guard for his team. I would imagine our last spot would be for a scoring guard. Gurley and Slawson will probably play a lot of minutes for the next few years!
Most of the highlights for Threadgill I have seen showcase his scoring . There is one ironically named highlight package called "DON'T REACH!! Jackson Threadgill can do more than shoot the rock" that consists of nothing but highlights of Threadgill shooting the rock. About half the shots are catch-and- shoot and the others are one-on-one moves to drive and shoot. Not a single assist, rebound, steal, etc.

The timing is interesting, too. One day after Hien commits Threadgill announces his final five. Almost as if they were competing for the same position. Maybe just a coincidence.
the reason I'm going with more of a Mounce comparison is that Hien looks more comfortable on the perimeter than Rafferty, better off the bounce, and more comfortable shooting 3s. But agree that some of Rafferty's "feel" for the game is present in what limited footage I've seen of Hien.
The player we offered this time that reminds me of Rafferty is Burke Smith, the 6'11" center from Richmond, VA. Smith, by the way, has announced that he will take official visits to Rice, Boise State, and Ohio. Those schools seem to be about the three farthest from his home. I wonder if he is one of those guys who take unofficial visits to schools close to home and saves the official visits for more distant schools.
 #15861  by tya1
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:35 pm
Just a little updating -

Justus Cooper, the wing from Arkansas, has committed to Arkansas-Ft. Smith.

Jackson Threadgill had narrowed his list to five - Wofford, UNCG, Mercer, Elon, and UNC-Charlotte - but is apparently going to expand it. He just got a new offer from Georgia.
 #15925  by tya1
 Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 am
Kaleb Scott, the 6'7" 230 forward from Holly Springs, NC (near Raleigh,) has announced three official visits. His first visit will be to Furman on Sept. 21. He will also visit Georgia State on Sept. 28, and UNC-Charlotte on Oct. 5th. He has unofficial visits planned to App. State on Sept. 7 and Col. of Charleston on Sept. 20th. According to Verbal Commits he also has offers from East Carolina, George Mason, Wofford, UNC-Asheville, and Elon.

LINK
 #16023  by tya1
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:26 pm
Conner Kochera, 6'4" wing from St. Viator HS in Arlington Heights, IL, has set three official visits.

He goes to William & Mary on the first weekend of September. Then he visits Wofford and Furman. Other schools currently involved are Holy Cross, Utah State, UC-Davis, and Lipscomb.

LINK
 #16146  by tya1
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:24 pm
Mason Madsen, 6'3" guard, committed to Cincinnati along with his 6'5" twin brother Gabe. Both had plenty of offers but Gabe was the more highly recruited brother - he had picked up some ACC, Big Ten, and Big 12 offers in addition to the mid-major offers.
 #16221  by tya1
 Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:00 am
Jackson Sivills, the 6'6" forward from Paducah, KY, was on campus this weekend for an official visit. I think it was his first official visit.

LINK
 #16226  by PaladinPower
 Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:26 am
Love seeing all these guys with multiple offers choosing to do an official visit at Furman. Coaching staff is on top of it!!
FUKA61 liked this
 #16352  by Monday
 Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:39 pm
Question:
Sivills was here this past weekend, Kochera will be here either this weekend or next, then Scott on the 21st.
Are these visits based around the team's schedule or the recruit's? Should we read the visit order as our team preferences, such as Sivills is number one on our board, Kochera is number two, and Scott three? If that isn't the case, how does the team manage schalorship offers if the first priority isn't the first visit?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.