• Series with NDSU? (FU @ NDSU 2024 - NDSU @ FU 2025)

#15870  by AstroDin
 Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 am
I just posted this on AGS.

I find the game interesting but IMO it has to have other benefits for both schools.

Recruiting:
Would coming to South Carolina help NDSU with it's recruiting footprint?
I know the Bison recruit Florida, not sure about SC, NC, and GA. From this angle paying a visit to Greenville could help them wrap a recruiting showcase. A plus for NDSU.

Would coming to North Dakota help FU with it's recruiting footprint?
No. Furman sits in fertile recruiting territory. FU recruits GA, SC, TN, NC, FL, AL heavily - since CCH has became HC add TX, and OH. The Dakota teams have built their programs with local talent plus they get talent from the west coast. I'd rate this a minus for Furman.

Fans:
Would NDSU fans travel to GSP? Greenville is now considered a destination city, we've shown we can put on quite a show (NCAA BB). The upstate is a football area, Clemson is 30 miles away, SC is 90 miles away, Wofford is 30 minutes away. If NDSU came to town I'd bet it would be a sold out. 18,000 to 20,000.

Would Furman fans travel to the ND? This fan would, I've had the pleasure to travel extensively in ND/SD for work. I consider several people in SD as my best friends - your great people. If Furman is building into what it appears, and by 2020 or 20201 a top ten team. People in purple would make the trek. How many? 500+ Not as much as NDSU fans travel.

Finally is there a rivalry, or a demand for the game? No. If NDSU wanted to make an east coast trek - it makes more sense to play JMU right now. If Furman makes the playoffs this season and sent out to Fargo and makes it a game or shock's everyone and beats the mighty Bison at home - game on. Right now Furman has to raise the bar and take our program to the next level.

What's not being talked about. Furman just made a new AD hire. He's a 'Nova' basketball guy. My guess is Furman is putting an emphasis on Basketball. This past season woke up a sleepy little giant — Furman BB, and Furman BB fans. I hope football doesn't get crunched by the elevation of basketball. I'll bet you could see packages you play us in BB and we'll come up and play a football game. I won't be surprised to see a FU/Nova home and home or another FU/CAA matchup it just makes more business sense.
DeepPurple liked this
 #15871  by gofurman
 Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:19 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 am

I just posted this on AGS.

I find the game interesting but IMO it has to have other benefits for both schools.

Recruiting:
Would coming to South Carolina help NDSU with it's recruiting footprint?
I know the Bison recruit Florida, not sure about SC, NC, and GA. From this angle paying a visit to Greenville could help them wrap a recruiting showcase. A plus for NDSU.

Would coming to North Dakota help FU with it's recruiting footprint?
No. Furman sits in fertile recruiting territory. FU recruits GA, SC, TN, NC, FL, AL heavily - since CCH has became HC add TX, and OH. The Dakota teams have built their programs with local talent plus they get talent from the west coast. I'd rate this a minus for Furman.

Fans:
Would NDSU fans travel to GSP? Greenville is now considered a destination city, we've shown we can put on quite a show (NCAA BB). The upstate is a football area, Clemson is 30 miles away, SC is 90 miles away, Wofford is 30 minutes away. If NDSU came to town I'd bet it would be a sold out. 18,000 to 20,000.

Would Furman fans travel to the ND? This fan would, I've had the pleasure to travel extensively in ND/SD for work. I consider several people in SD as my best friends - your great people. If Furman is building into what it appears, and by 2020 or 20201 a top ten team. People in purple would make the trek. How many? 500+ Not as much as NDSU fans travel.

Finally is there a rivalry, or a demand for the game? No. If NDSU wanted to make an east coast trek - it makes more sense to play JMU right now. If Furman makes the playoffs this season and sent out to Fargo and makes it a game or shock's everyone and beats the mighty Bison at home - game on. Right now Furman has to raise the bar and take our program to the next level.

What's not being talked about. Furman just made a new AD hire. He's a 'Nova' basketball guy. My guess is Furman is putting an emphasis on Basketball. This past season woke up a sleepy little giant — Furman BB, and Furman BB fans. I hope football doesn't get crunched by the elevation of basketball. I'll bet you could see packages you play us in BB and we'll come up and play a football game. I won't be surprised to see a FU/Nova home and home or another FU/CAA matchup it just makes more business sense.
Astro, SAME HERE - we are just now returning to football relevance. I sure hope this doesn't come to pass. no reason we can't do both ! but yeah, this thought scares me
 #15875  by Flagman
 Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 am
My streak might end.
 #15882  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:54 am
Flagman wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 am
My streak might end.

And yet the opportunity of watching the Dins play at Paladin Stadium against NDSU would present itself, pretty nice trade off!
 #15899  by Paul C
 Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm
An OOC FCS game that involves air travel is probably a non-starter, unless there is a compelling strategy behind it.

We get nothing out of playing them "up there" aside from maybe a preview of the field and the environment to prepare for a possible playoff matchup.

Having said all that, it would be a great game to host here....and that might be reason enough....
 #15903  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm
An OOC FCS game that involves air travel is probably a non-starter, unless there is a compelling strategy behind it.

We get nothing out of playing them "up there" aside from maybe a preview of the field and the environment to prepare for a possible playoff matchup.

Having said all that, it would be a great game to host here....and that might be reason enough....

And that right there would indeed be the purpose, to host a nationally relevant game in Paladin Stadium again
 #15904  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 pm
Top 3 home and home series we could land would be what?

NDSU?
JMU?
Jacksonville St?

Those are 3 top 10 programs, with a lot of recent success and large fan bases, possibly the 3 best teams we could land to host at Paladin Stadium

Outside of that maybe being able to host an ivy school like Harvard would be cool as well
 #15918  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:57 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 pm
Top 3 home and home series we could land would be what?

NDSU?
JMU?
Jacksonville St?

Those are 3 top 10 programs, with a lot of recent success and large fan bases, possibly the 3 best teams we could land to host at Paladin Stadium

Outside of that maybe being able to host an ivy school like Harvard would be cool as well
Mercer has done the Ivy scheduling with Yale. We should.
Your list of top 3 is good, but I would add the following 7-10 “not as highly ranked currently” teams to a list of good possibilities for to try to schedule for home-and-home OOC FCS games:
Richmond
W&M
Towson
Georgetown
Bucknell
Indiana State
Penn,Princeton,Columbia, Harvard
(presumably the Ivy’s easier to fly to/from GSP than the other 4)
... And I do realize people on here prefer the SC, GA, AL, TN, KY possibilities over schools in the mid-Atlantic and northeast and Indiana, but I’m giving my own preferences nonetheless.
Also, I’d like to see schools such as SCSU and NCCU on the OOC FCS schedule for home-and-home.
 #15919  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:29 am
Too many other teams to play than SCS. We've played them a lot and I have no desire to start playing them again. Been there, done that. Like I said there are many others we could play and haven't. Same goes for PC, GWU etc. Let's play some different teams. Not a big fan of the ongoing Colgate thing either. Besides that Orangeburg is one of the hottest places on earth in early September.

Here are some other upcoming SoCon home and home series that would be nice for FU:
UTC-James Madison, E. Illinois, N. Alabama
Mercer- Yale
Samford-Kennesaw St.
VMI-Princeton, Cornell, Bucknell
WCU-E. Kentucky, Montana
 #15926  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:16 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:29 am
Too many other teams to play than SCS. We've played them a lot and I have no desire to start playing them again. Been there, done that. Like I said there are many others we could play and haven't. Same goes for PC, GWU etc. Let's play some different teams. Not a big fan of the ongoing Colgate thing either. Besides that Orangeburg is one of the hottest places on earth in early September.

Here are some other upcoming SoCon home and home series that would be nice for FU:
UTC-James Madison, E. Illinois, N. Alabama
Mercer- Yale
Samford-Kennesaw St.
VMI-Princeton, Cornell, Bucknell
WCU-E. Kentucky, Montana
We need to play PC at least one more time. I don't want the last time we ever played them to be a loss.
fufanatic, MNORM liked this
 #15970  by MNORM
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:14 am
I could see some long-term benefits from playing a team in Texas. We've started making headway in recruiting Texas the past two classes and a good competitive game there could result in good exposure. There are eight FCS programs in Texas now, six if you take away the SWAC programs.
 #15973  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:01 am
Furman @ NDSU 2021
NDSU @ Furman 2024

That would be:

Furman 2022
Colgate
@ NC State
@ NDSU

NDSU 2022
@ North Dakota
Furman