• Powell and NGU

#1580  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:39 pm
He has them ranked #1 in the country in DII. Didn't we have a chance to hire him? I know it is a different animal but he sure looks like he has got the job done at NG in a short amount of time.
FU69 liked this
 #1582  by gman
 Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:10 am
He will be the next HC at S. Carolina. The man can flat out coach, and he has great contacts throughout the country.
FU69 liked this
 #1585  by fufanatic
 Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm
Former Furman assistant and great man. Awesome personality, caught Dallas Braden's perfect game on Mother's Day, can't imagine a player not wanting to play for him. But I believe he took the NGU job before the Furman position opened. Could be wrong on that part though.
FU69 liked this
 #1586  by Flagman
 Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:12 pm
I think you're right, fanatic.
 #1598  by SidBreamScores
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:24 am
Landon is indeed a great guy, solid coach and fantastic recruiter. The same can be said for his pitching coach/assistant head coach Jon Coutlangus. My son loved playing for them.

And what they have been able to accomplish in 4 years is stunning-from 8 wins 4 years ago to 40 (and counting) and a #1 ranking this year.

But, their blueprint for engineering such a dramatic turnaround at NGU would not work at Furman. At all. Every starter for NGU--EVERY one--is a D1 transfer from a power 5, a decent mid major conference, or a baseball-factory-JUCO. And, with one exception, same for the starting rotation. NGU is 40-6 because they have better players than everyone else. He has SEC, ACC, Big South guys playing against D2 guys. Even some of the 2nd stringers at NGU are D1 transfers. Landon's approach is common for many of the more dominant D2 programs such as Mt Olive.

Not disparaging Landon in any way -- it's amazing he can recruit all these guys to Tigerville SC.

But this approach wouldn't fly at Furman. He wouldn't be able to create the talent gap he enjoys at NGU because he wouldn't be able to get all these transfers into school (for numerous reasons); and even if he could, the SoCon aint Conference Carolinas. As good as these guys are, they wouldn't have the same impact in the SoCon.

Of course, that's not to say, this year at least, NGU couldn't compete with SoCon teams. They could. I wouldn't want the Paladins to play them a best of 7 series.
FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.