• OOC 2020 ?

#15787  by cavedweller2
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 am
It is 2019. We play Ga St. and Va. Tech. After this year it will become more difficult to convince FBS to schedule us regardless of conference.
 #15790  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 am
Paul C wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:55 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:46 am
Paul C wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:01 am
it amazes me it took so long for Furman to find a new AD with all the qualified candidates we seem to have
snide
that's my middle name :)
mine too...apparently. We must be related
I don’t guess birth certificates typoed d for p
 #15791  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:51 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 am
It is 2019. We play Ga St. and Va. Tech. After this year it will become more difficult to convince FBS to schedule us regardless of conference.
FBS teams may be already increasingly seeking only FBS opponents regardless of conference.
 #15793  by Yadkin
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:27 am
On the contrary...more FBS teams are deciding to play FCS teams. All that fear mongering that FBS games were going way was proven to be false.
 #15794  by Yadkin
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:31 am
Furman’s toughest challenge is finding OOC FCS foes. Davidson won’t play. Neither will G-Webb. Stetson turned down FU’s offer to play them on their own field last year. All those Christmas list, admissions office Northeastern foes somebody keeps throwing up here are $75K travel propositions. Write the check and make it happen.
 #15797  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:14 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:27 am
On the contrary...more FBS teams are deciding to play FCS teams. All that fear mongering that FBS games were going way was proven to be false.
Exactly. remember that ban the Big10 put on playing FCS teams? That lasted less than a year. SEC and ACC have pledged to play FCS. For the foreseeable future FCS/FBS games will continue. Furman has an FBS game thru 2025.
 #15798  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Furman’s toughest challenge is finding OOC FCS foes. Davidson won’t play. Neither will G-Webb. Stetson turned down FU’s offer to play them on their own field last year. All those Christmas list, admissions office Northeastern foes somebody keeps throwing up here are $75K travel propositions. Write the check and make it happen.
I think there are plenty of schools to go around with the OVC and Big South. They need to play SoCon opponents too.
 #15801  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 pm
Yadkin wrote:
G-Webb seriously won't play us? We used to play them regularly back when Furman was even better than we anticipate them being this year. And don't they regularly play Wofford?
 #15802  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:01 pm
It seems to me that with our new AD just coming from Villanova, we should be able to get a home and home with the Wildcats in the near future. Very good school, great city and the football is very competitive . I think they won a FCS National Championship before the current NDSU behemoth took over, didn't they?
 #15804  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:12 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 pm
Yadkin wrote:
G-Webb seriously won't play us? We used to play them regularly back when Furman was even better than we anticipate them being this year. And don't they regularly play Wofford?
Right, why would GWebb and SC State play Wofford (this year) and not us? I like the CSU game.. that's a good one. I'm w Jackal - Big South and OVC
 #15808  by fupaladin01
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:38 pm
Villanova won it all in 2009. They've had a Furmanesque fall from prominence (picked 9th in the CAA this year). I think routinely playing the CAA is a must because so many voters and FCS media types consider it the premier conference- or at least one of the power 3.

Even going .500 against CAA foes for 3-4 years would start turning heads. Not only would it increase the likelihood of our getting ranked higher (which I believe we all agree helps our playoffs outlook fair or not), but it also would get us familiar with teams we must best in order to advance to a quarter or semi-final.

Colgate was a great opponent to schedule despite their belonging to a relatively weak (Patriot) conference. But after we clobbered them up in NY 45-14, they wanted badly to avoid the beatdown they'd likely receive in Greenville so they took the bad weather report as an excuse to renege on the home-and-home agreement. Sly move for them, as it allowed the narrative of Colgate being a power (they went 10-1 reg season allowing only 4 defensive touchdowns all year- 2 against a ranked Army team) and received a seed e.i. , first round bye. Granted, they made a last-second FG to beat JMU in the 2nd round, a team that was injury-ridden, had just lost its head coach, and had an uncharacteristic 5 turnovers, but it was still seen by many to be an upset. (Rant over. Maybe.)

So, if we are indeed getting back to the dominance that we used to enjoy, I figure we have just a couple chances to schedule OOC competition against good-but-not-great teams before they realize there's not much to be gained by losing to us. CAA and good Southland teams like JaxSt will soon be our best bet I think.

Of course, if we manage to go 2-0 against FBS this year, we won't get any good OOC to schedule us- and I might be ok with the trade-off :)
 #15809  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:00 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:38 pm
Villanova won it all in 2009. They've had a Furmanesque fall from prominence (picked 9th in the CAA this year). I think routinely playing the CAA is a must because so many voters and FCS media types consider it the premier conference- or at least one of the power 3.

Even going .500 against CAA foes for 3-4 years would start turning heads. Not only would it increase the likelihood of our getting ranked higher (which I believe we all agree helps our playoffs outlook fair or not), but it also would get us familiar with teams we must best in order to advance to a quarter or semi-final.

Colgate was a great opponent to schedule despite their belonging to a relatively weak (Patriot) conference. But after we clobbered them up in NY 45-14, they wanted badly to avoid the beatdown they'd likely receive in Greenville so they took the bad weather report as an excuse to renege on the home-and-home agreement. Sly move for them, as it allowed the narrative of Colgate being a power (they went 10-1 reg season allowing only 4 defensive touchdowns all year- 2 against a ranked Army team) and received a seed e.i. , first round bye. Granted, they made a last-second FG to beat JMU in the 2nd round, a team that was injury-ridden, had just lost its head coach, and had an uncharacteristic 5 turnovers, but it was still seen by many to be an upset. (Rant over. Maybe.)

So, if we are indeed getting back to the dominance that we used to enjoy, I figure we have just a couple chances to schedule OOC competition against good-but-not-great teams before they realize there's not much to be gained by losing to us. CAA and good Southland teams like JaxSt will soon be our best bet I think.

Of course, if we manage to go 2-0 against FBS this year, we won't get any good OOC to schedule us- and I might be ok with the trade-off :)
interesting note - Villanova plays Colgate this year first game ! tomorrow

along w Samford v Youngstown state.. go samford/ go SoCon
 #15811  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 pm
We have another home and home against Colgate coming up in a couple of years.
 #15814  by Flagman
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 pm
We have another home and home against Colgate coming up in a couple of years.
I've already been up there twice. Let's try some place different.
Please.