• Offensive RBs

#15767  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:39 pm
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2019/8/ ... backs.aspx

This seems to keep being said in many of our write-ups ----- good stuff as we are getting the depth we want now though probably a year away from full depth .. "Devin was really solid last year. He is one of those guys we didn't want to have to play two years ago as a true freshman but had to because of circumstances"

The reason I say we are still a year away is guys like Devin may now be redshirted and he wasn't. If he came into the program now maybe he would get a redshirt like Abrams. As of last year we were still playing freshman like Watkins, Hodge and Bell - though now that I look at it we only have 5 true Sophomores so that's great. only 5 guys who did not redshirt last year. so maybe we are about where we need to be - there will always be a few standouts that get on the field
 #15777  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:37 am
...as opposed to Defensive RBs?
AstroDin liked this
 #15786  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:26 am
gofurman wrote:

This seems to keep being said in many of our write-ups ----- good stuff as we are getting the depth we want now though probably a year away from full depth .. "Devin was really solid last year. He is one of those guys we didn't want to have to play two years ago as a true freshman but had to because of circumstances"

The reason I say we are still a year away is guys like Devin may now be redshirted and he wasn't. If he came into the program now maybe he would get a redshirt like Abrams. As of last year we were still playing freshman like Watkins, Hodge and Bell - though now that I look at it we only have 5 true Sophomores so that's great. only 5 guys who did not redshirt last year. so maybe we are about where we need to be - there will always be a few standouts that get on the field
I don't buy it that - redshirting is a reason why Furman is a year away. No doubt based on paper Furman will be a very experienced team next year. This will be year three of the CCH era. Clay came in, he had a vision for the program, and he needed players that could play now. He had no choice.

Devin playing as a true freshman - led him to his standing today as one of the top SoCon runningbacks. Same goes for Watkins playing as a true freshman. Now here comes Wayne Anderson, the kid can flat out play if you looked at his high school film, I had little doubt he will be on the field in 2019. It's a reality.

Maybe after a complete cycle of players - an Anderson, Wynn, Watkins can't find a spot.

One note on the running backs - gotta feeling Jasper will second this. Watching drills several times this pres-season the backs are impressive catching the ball. It won't matter who is on the field RB or TB they can all catch the ball.
 #15788  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:14 am
They sure can catch the ball and can run like crazy after they do. We seem to be throwing to them more this year as well.
FUKA61 liked this
 #15803  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:03 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:26 am
gofurman wrote:

I don't buy it that - redshirting is a reason why Furman is a year away. No doubt based on paper Furman will be a very experienced team next year. This will be year three of the CCH era. Clay came in, he had a vision for the program, and he needed players that could play now. He had no choice.

Devin playing as a true freshman - led him to his standing today as one of the top SoCon runningbacks. Same goes for Watkins playing as a true freshman. Now here comes Wayne Anderson, the kid can flat out play if you looked at his high school film, I had little doubt he will be on the field in 2019. It's a reality.

Maybe after a complete cycle of players - an Anderson, Wynn, Watkins can't find a spot.

One note on the running backs - gotta feeling Jasper will second this. Watching drills several times this pres-season the backs are impressive catching the ball. It won't matter who is on the field RB or TB they can all catch the ball.
I admit I probably should not have said we are 'a year away'... I just meant what I bolded in your statement. Would they all play as true FR at NDSU?? I doubt it. The real goal is for maybe only 3 to play as true. FR. Think of CH tenure this way... yr 1 he has to play who he has to play - v little depth. CH has repeated that many times. Year two he has guys he recruited but was only able to sell "Furman as a school" and not a winning tradition.. though the recruiting was good. Year three now he is selling "Furman + good football". It takes 5 years for it to fully be your team.. easily.

I didn't meant this 2019 team isn't good. I hope they are great. Just meant the same as you.. if some of the 2017 guys came in now (not specifically RBs) I think we might have been able to Redshirt them. We are v close to where we want to be w depth now. CH even says if Wynn came in to a better situation he would have redshirted him. Which means Anderson must be good to play as a true Fr now !