#15682  by furpop16
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:41 am
dinhead wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am
I checked some of those on your list and din't find anything. Either nothing or they haven't released their schedule. The "local" teams you mentioned, we likely will go to Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern and host Upstate.
No doubt a heavy dose of the Big South. There's even been talk of the two conferences agreeing to a regular non-conference schedule against each other. Every team schedules half the other conferences teams and plays the remaining half the following year. It helps solve everybody's home game scheduling challenges. Of course the powerful SoCon teams will chose to supplement their home non-conference schedules with the most obscure colleges known to man while complaining about how the top teams are "ducking them ! "
I edited my above post, because I had unintentionally omitted Big South. But please note that even after my edit, there would be only 3, AT MOST, Big South on my suggested schedule each year, not 5-6 Big South each year.
We open at Gardner Webb, Tue Nov. 5th: https://gwusports.com/news/2019/8/16/ga ... edule.aspx

Gardner-Webb announced their non-conference schedule last Friday. Don't know how we missed it ... we must be slippin'.
 #15686  by Flagman
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:35 pm
This thread has gotten so long that I hope when the schedule is released, it'll be in a new thread.
 #15688  by gman
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:13 pm
Flagman wrote:
This thread has gotten so long that I hope when the schedule is released, it'll be in a new thread.
Even a new thread would quickly grow to one where too many complain about the teams we are playing.
FU03times, paladinfan12 liked this
 #15691  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:16 pm
9/6/18 was the date when we released our schedule for 2018-2019. While trying to find that date, I happened across information about how late some other schools were last year, including 9/4/18 for Samford and 9/14/18 for both ETSU and Mercer last season.
Since there is so much discussion about how late so many schools are getting their schedules finalized this year, we should not be too surprised if we do not know the 2019-2020 schedule until about September 25, 2019 (5 weeks from now and 6 weeks in advance of the season starting).
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
FU03times liked this
 #15692  by Flagman
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:13 pm
Flagman wrote:
Even a new thread would quickly grow to one where too many complain about the teams we are playing.
I’d like to give this two likes.
 #15694  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:11 pm
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:
dinhead wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I checked some of those on your list and din't find anything. Either nothing or they haven't released their schedule. The "local" teams you mentioned, we likely will go to Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern and host Upstate.
No doubt a heavy dose of the Big South. There's even been talk of the two conferences agreeing to a regular non-conference schedule against each other. Every team schedules half the other conferences teams and plays the remaining half the following year. It helps solve everybody's home game scheduling challenges. Of course the powerful SoCon teams will chose to supplement their home non-conference schedules with the most obscure colleges known to man while complaining about how the top teams are "ducking them ! "
I edited my above post, because I had unintentionally omitted Big South. But please note that even after my edit, there would be only 3, AT MOST, Big South on my suggested schedule each year, not 5-6 Big South each year.
We open at Gardner Webb, Tue Nov. 5th: https://gwusports.com/news/2019/8/16/ga ... edule.aspx

Gardner-Webb announced their non-conference schedule last Friday. Don't know how we missed it ... we must be slippin'.
Yeppers, pretty much knew we would go to GWU and CSU and a home game with Upstate just didn't know when. That will be a tough opener at GWU. Don't know what they have coming back but it was all we could do to beat them here last year. They won the Big South and led eventual NC Virginia by 14 in the NCAA.
 #15698  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:
dinhead wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Yeppers, pretty much knew we would go to GWU and CSU and a home game with Upstate just didn't know when. That will be a tough opener at GWU. Don't know what they have coming back but it was all we could do to beat them here last year. They won the Big South and led eventual NC Virginia by 14 in the NCAA.
Wow. Only 77 days from now, our first game will be over at this hour; and we very possibly will be coming home at 0-1 with an away loss at Gardner-Webb. Don’t like that outlook, but excited nonetheless. Gardner-Webb is definitely an impressive team for us to start against.
 #15702  by soconjohn
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 pm
Affirm, what's your deal? You're chalking up GW as an automatic loss when Furman brings back more starters?
 #15706  by gman
 Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:57 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:
dinhead wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Wow. Only 77 days from now, our first game will be over at this hour; and we very possibly will be coming home at 0-1 with an away loss at Gardner-Webb. Don’t like that outlook, but excited nonetheless. Gardner-Webb is definitely an impressive team for us to start against.
0-1 :?:
 #15708  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:32 am
gman wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:57 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:
dinhead wrote:
apaladin wrote:

0-1 :?:
That's what our record would be, unless we somehow have a game prior to November 5. Note, however, I did say "very possibly". Did not say we definitely will lose.
 #15709  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:35 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 pm
Affirm, what's your deal? You're chalking up GW as an automatic loss when Furman brings back more starters?
I did say "very possibly", not "automatic". Did you think I said "automatic"? It's their first game after that fantastic end-of-season last March in which they won their conference, went to the NCAA tournament, and did well in Columbia versus Virginia. Their students and fans will be there and will be excited.
They've got an impressive pre-conference schedule. In addition to Furman and Wofford, they will be playing UNC, UofSC, Virginia, Tech, and Wichita State. They may lose to Furman, but they will very much be needing every win they can get in the early season because the competition will not be getting easier.
 #15718  by cavedweller2
 Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:14 am
Flagman wrote:
I think they should be combined into one long continuous thread with no pages.
 #15725  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 pm
GWU did lose 2 of their top 3 scorers 18+ and 13+ per game. They do return Perez, the freshman that hurt us last year when he scored 23 points and has 7 rebounds. Outside of Perez(15+) no one returns that averaged double digits. They have one that was close 9.7.
soconjohn liked this
 #15729  by soconjohn
 Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:31 pm
Affirm, I guess I probably did, so I apologize for my mis-interpretation of what you meant...I mean, I would say this game won't be easy for sure, but I would think Furman would be a slight favorite...However, it is a good mid-major and a loss wouldn't be horrible, but I'd give a slight advantage to Furman--even on the road--in the opener...Apaladin is spot on here...They lost two pretty good players, and while Perez is very good, but losing guys like Efianayi and Laster is big...Losing a guy like Laster is big because he was so good on the boards in addition to being an efficient scorer in the paint...Perez is a great shooter, but there's no question losing those two hurts...I will say as long as coach Craft at GW, they will be a perennial title contender in the Big South...Great coach and an up-and-coming program in mid-major hoops for sure.
 #15778  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:12 am
As expected you can mark SC off the list. Outside of Clempson, SC will not play a single in state school. Thanks Mr. Martin.

As expected, we play at Charleston Southern Nov. 12th.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.