• Roster update

#15653  by gofurman
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:27 pm
JohnW wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:06 pm
DL Devonte Jones is no longer listed on the roster. Big loss.
Oh man. That is a BIG loss. Dam ! Sucks
 #15658  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:32 pm
I don't even remember that Jones guy being expected to play at all this year, does not rank as a big loss
 #15659  by Paul C
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:07 pm
Not a big loss for this season, but might hurt a few years down the road. Good news is we have a couple recruiting cycles to make it up. These things happen.
 #15661  by Jasper
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:29 pm
I spoke with him a bit at the fanfest on Saturday. This kid lost a ton of weight from his HS senior season and appeared small in the midst of the d line table. I don't recall if he played at all in the scrimmage. I don't think he figured in the plans at all for this year's D line. As someone already said, this stuff happens all the time.
 #15662  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 am
Paul C wrote:
Not a big loss for this season, but might hurt a few years down the road. Good news is we have a couple recruiting cycles to make it up. These things happen.
Right... Like PaulC, I meant he was a loss for the future as the recruiting pundits and many of our own thought very highly of him. Not a big deal this year but he was one of the top 5/10 recruits we landed for sure ...
I mean, Adrian Hope didn't play his first year and that woulda been a HUGE loss. The goal is not to play guys their freshman year.
 #15663  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:29 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 am
Paul C wrote:
Right... Like PaulC, I meant he was a loss for the future as the recruiting pundits and many of our own thought very highly of him. Not a big deal this year but he was one of the top 5/10 recruits we landed for sure ...
I mean, Adrian Hope didn't play his first year and that woulda been a HUGE loss. The goal is not to play guys their freshman year.

You would have to compare someone who quite FU and went on to play football successful somewhere else for a fair comparison, yes Adrian Hope did not play as a freshmen but he also stuck around and then produced, some guys just don't pan out after HS football
 #15664  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:57 am
JohnW wrote:
Unfortunate. I wish him the best.

I had a sneaking suspicion that adding a late transfer along the offensive line was made possible by an available roster spot.

It is probably a wash for this season. Furman moved Caleb Auer to defense to add depth on that side of the ball. They also add an offensive lineman to fill in Auer's spot.

I do not believe we have any defensive linemen slated to graduate this season (except Auer, I guess), so we'll just pick up the spot in recruiting hopefully.
 #15667  by Jasper
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:

I had a sneaking suspicion that adding a late transfer along the offensive line was made possible by an available roster spot.

It is probably a wash for this season. Furman moved Caleb Auer to defense to add depth on that side of the ball. They also add an offensive lineman to fill in Auer's spot.

I do not believe we have any defensive linemen slated to graduate this season (except Auer, I guess), so we'll just pick up the spot in recruiting hopefully.
We will lose Alex Hanff and Jonah Tubbs after this season. Maybe a red shirt junior as well.
 #15668  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:32 am
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:

We will lose Alex Hanff and Jonah Tubbs after this season. Maybe a red shirt junior as well.
We tend to identify DTs and DEs separately, though a lot of 3-4 defenses don't really distinguish those positions. We will have some flexibility there.

I agree, though, this is going to have to be a focus of the 2020 class. I do not think that will necessarily increase pressure to do so, as recruiting the DL has been a high priority for this staff and should be, in my opinion, always top priority at this level.
 #15670  by MNORM
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 am
Jasper wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:29 pm
I spoke with him a bit at the fanfest on Saturday. This kid lost a ton of weight from his HS senior season and appeared small in the midst of the d line table. I don't recall if he played at all in the scrimmage. I don't think he figured in the plans at all for this year's D line. As someone already said, this stuff happens all the time.
Yeah, I don't recall him being out there in the scrimmage at all. I even commented to my son about 2/3 through that Devonte seemed to be sorta hanging out by himself on the sidelines.
 #15684  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:32 am
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
JohnW wrote:

We tend to identify DTs and DEs separately, though a lot of 3-4 defenses don't really distinguish those positions. We will have some flexibility there.

I agree, though, this is going to have to be a focus of the 2020 class. I do not think that will necessarily increase pressure to do so, as recruiting the DL has been a high priority for this staff and should be, in my opinion, always top priority at this level.
This last year and this year will hit DL harder than most other positions (we returned all OL this year, most RBs, TEs, WRS, most all LBs etc). DL - Last year we lost Jaylan Reid and Okonya.. this year we lose Hanff, TIbbs and Auer. Not a bad thing, just something I am sure the coaches are watching.

I guess from the guys they mentioned in the article that will leave 2020 Seabrook at DE, Sochovka and Lawrence at DT, and all 3 NGs - Stokes, Hodge and Coleman.

Hoping Jack Barton etc turn out to be great ones !
 #15744  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 am
A great looking group…
Two points -

1. We don't talk about Devin Abrams much, but I think we're going to soon enough.

2. Isn't that Darius Morehead in coach attire? Looks like he'll be helping out with the program, which is nice to see.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.