• Coverage

#15601  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:51 am
Does anyone know why the decision has been made to not give any practice updates or scrimmage updates on the official site? I think this is a very bad move. The local TV and print media rely on these reports as their source to "cover" Furman. It's not like in the old days when the paper and TV stations actually came out and covered things. The only one that actually gets "covered" is Clempson. We are trying to be Greenville's team and grow the fan base and sell tickets. This is not the way to do it by getting no coverage in the local media. For example the last coverage we got was the start of practice over 2 weeks ago. We used to get a little coverage now we are getting zero.
 #15603  by Paladin91
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:51 am
Does anyone know why the decision has been made to not give any practice updates or scrimmage updates on the official site? I think this is a very bad move. The local TV and print media rely on these reports as their source to "cover" Furman. It's not like in the old days when the paper and TV stations actually came out and covered things. The only one that actually gets "covered" is Clempson. We are trying to be Greenville's team and grow the fan base and sell tickets. This is not the way to do it by getting no coverage in the local media. For example the last coverage we got was the start of practice over 2 weeks ago. We used to get a little coverage now we are getting zero.
As much as FU wants to be Greenville's team, it will always be in the shadow of Clemson, especially now as the Nat'l Champion. I'd say 9.5 out of every 10 people in the Greenville area are more interested in Clemson and could not care less about FU football. Most people regard FCS as Division 2 football - the SOCON is not the ACC or SEC. I think the best bet of coverage is through the likes of Keeler and Dan Scott. The best thing FU can do is win games. Clemson is one of the top followed football teams in America - for newspapers this means money. Why spend time on FU column when there are a lot more people that care about Clemson's next news story. Simple supply and demand.
 #15604  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:28 am
I realize all that but the non-Furman fan does not know about Dan or Scott and certainly will not seek them out. That is fine for all of us loyal fans but we are trying to rebuild the fanbase after many years being down. That is why we need the Furman brand in the local media. By not providing any information to the media outlets we will get no coverage. Like I said they are not going to cover FU on their own.
 #15605  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
I realize all that but the non-Furman fan does not know about Dan or Scott and certainly will not seek them out. That is fine for all of us loyal fans but we are trying to rebuild the fanbase after many years being down. That is why we need the Furman brand in the local media. By not providing any information to the media outlets we will get no coverage. Like I said they are not going to cover FU on their own.
I will back AP in the sense that I have heard Wofford is on the local news more than we are. They too are in 'Clemson's area'. Any TV coverage is good coverage. Are we on the local TV reports? Maybe we are, I am asking. Because if not, we need to be - heck, high schools are on the TV Friday night.
Affirm liked this
 #15607  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:06 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
I will back AP in the sense that I have heard Wofford is on the local news more than we are. They too are in 'Clemson's area'. Any TV coverage is good coverage. Are we on the local TV reports? Maybe we are, I am asking. Because if not, we need to be - heck, high schools are on the TV Friday night.
GF-We have not been mentioned on channel 4 since the first practice over 2 weeks ago. Wofford has been mentioned several times. Here is what is on the WC website this morning.
https://woffordterriers.com

Zero on the FU website about yesterday's scrimmage or even fanfest. We have always had reports on practice and fanfest. All I am asking is why no reports this year?
 #15610  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:55 pm
I'm an outsider as one who does not consumer local upstate coverage. I am pretty familiar with the "other side" of newsrooms, though, so here are a few thoughts:

1. Sports reporters are going the way of the dinosaur. Around the country, local papers are cutting back staff in Arts/Sports reporting. So, there are just fewer people available to cover sports (if any at all). It's not necessarily an "anti-Furman" decision.

2. If you did survive cuts as a sports reporter, there's a 100% chance you are going to be assigned to mostly cover the big fish - Clemson. They draw the most water.

3. Follow the money.
 #15613  by Flagman
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:52 pm
I have given up hoping for increased coverage of Furman athletics in any local media. Clemson gets front page coverage on a regular basis in the Greenville/Gannett News, not to mention sports page coverage. As a die-hard Furman fan, I rely on Scott Keeler's reports and the UFFP and you guys who post the YouTube and Facebook videos posted here. I realize this won't rebuild our fan base like we all want, but the reality is, we're not the team of the Greenville News, and that prevents us from growing in Greenville. The lack of information about practice on the "new" website may be intentional. We certainly don't want to release too much information for our opponents to access. Coach Hendrix will be doing an internet show with Dan Scott. Perhaps we can suggest that someone (Sports Information) publish a "newsletter" with "insider" information available by subscription. Coach Richey has a Roundball Club which meets several times during the basketball season. Coach Richey is very open with "inside" information for the members. This costs $500.00 per season. I suggested this to Coach Hendrix, but have not followed up. The proceeds of the Roundball Club go to the basketball program (they also pay for the lunches). This could be a wonderful opportunity for the football program.

Someone needs to help me with my Twitter account, so I can eliminate the clutter and get regular Furman stuff.
 #15614  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:12 pm
Good idea Flagman. I too have just about given up on local coverage. I will give them credit for giving FU basketball good coverage last year but only after FU broke into the top 25. I still bug channel 4 when they ignore happenings at FU. The day JD was announced as AD channel 4 didn't mention it. I emailed them and they did have a story the next night but most of the times they just ignore me. It definitely is a losing battle. I still think we need coverage on the website. Doesn't have to be detailed to the point inside info is given away. Without it we will get no local coverage.
 #15615  by Paladin91
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:23 pm
Does Furman's athletics department have any kind of media liason that communicates with the TV stations? If not, maybe it's worth a try.
 #15616  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:12 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Does Furman's athletics department have any kind of media liason that communicates with the TV stations? If not, maybe it's worth a try.
That should be the SID department you would think. That is why I don't understand the no practice reports policy this year. i have always thought when the SID department issued a press release.it was sent to the media outlets.
 #15618  by Flagman
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:52 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:12 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
That should be the SID department you would think. That is why I don't understand the no practice reports policy this year. i have always thought when the SID department issued a press release.it was sent to the media outlets.
I'm sure the press releases are sent to the local media outlets. It's their choice not to use it.

As far as a media liason is concern, out media outlets, primarily, WYFF and Greenville News, don't have anyone who knows how to get to Furman, or anyone to serve in that capacity on their end. They're all in Clemson.
apaladin liked this
 #15622  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:55 pm
I'm an outsider as one who does not consumer local upstate coverage. I am pretty familiar with the "other side" of newsrooms, though, so here are a few thoughts:

1. Sports reporters are going the way of the dinosaur. Around the country, local papers are cutting back staff in Arts/Sports reporting. So, there are just fewer people available to cover sports (if any at all). It's not necessarily an "anti-Furman" decision.

2. If you did survive cuts as a sports reporter, there's a 100% chance you are going to be assigned to mostly cover the big fish - Clemson. They draw the most water.

3. Follow the money.

Jackal, sure.. follow the money.. but if Wofford is getting more coverage than us so that doesn't follow our logic. They don't present as a 'bigger fish' than Furman in any way and yet they are getting more air time. So AP has a point when comapring Woff and FU. That's apples to apples.

Or another example - "The day JD was announced as AD channel 4 didn't mention it. " THAT should have been on the news. A new AD at a Division 1 school ??? NO EXCUSE THERE
QCGlue liked this
 #15626  by gman
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:11 am
When is everyone going to understand that very few under the age of 60 watch the news on tv or read a newspaper?
din23 liked this
 #15629  by cavedweller2
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 am
I get daily detailed emails from the coaching staff with very specific information as to performance, expected depth chart and injuris.

Dont ya'll?
FUKA61, FUBeAR, Mr. Taggart liked this