• Schedule

#15507  by dinhead
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am
I checked some of those on your list and din't find anything. Either nothing or they haven't released their schedule. The "local" teams you mentioned, we likely will go to Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern and host Upstate.
No doubt a heavy dose of the Big South. There's even been talk of the two conferences agreeing to a regular non-conference schedule against each other. Every team schedules half the other conferences teams and plays the remaining half the following year. It helps solve everybody's home game scheduling challenges. Of course the powerful SoCon teams will chose to supplement their home non-conference schedules with the most obscure colleges known to man while complaining about how the top teams are "ducking them ! "
 #15512  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:41 am
dinhead wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am
I checked some of those on your list and din't find anything. Either nothing or they haven't released their schedule. The "local" teams you mentioned, we likely will go to Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern and host Upstate.
No doubt a heavy dose of the Big South. There's even been talk of the two conferences agreeing to a regular non-conference schedule against each other. Every team schedules half the other conferences teams and plays the remaining half the following year. It helps solve everybody's home game scheduling challenges. Of course the powerful SoCon teams will chose to supplement their home non-conference schedules with the most obscure colleges known to man while complaining about how the top teams are "ducking them ! "
I edited my above post, because I had unintentionally omitted Big South. But please note that even after my edit, there would be only 3, AT MOST, Big South on my suggested schedule each year, not 5-6 Big South each year.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #15513  by CharlieFU
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:07 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 pm
Update to the above games. Both ETSU and UNCG are playing at Kansas so that makes 2 Big 12 game for the SoCon. IMHO I would much rather play a P6 team on the road than play a nobody at home and win by 40-50 points. I am a season ticket holder and I would gladly give up 1-3 home games a year for quality road games but that doesn't seem to be the case. We used to count on SC and Clempson for a game or 2 per year but since Martin and Brownell have arrived they will not play FU.
If you listen to Coach's last podcast, you will hear a good explanation of most of this--including playing at least two non D1 games. I got no problem with current scheduling philosophy--and there are good reasons to play a couple of cupcakes at home, fan appreciation notwithstanding.
 #15514  by CharlieFU
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am
CharlieFU wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Update to the above games. Both ETSU and UNCG are playing at Kansas so that makes 2 Big 12 game for the SoCon. IMHO I would much rather play a P6 team on the road than play a nobody at home and win by 40-50 points. I am a season ticket holder and I would gladly give up 1-3 home games a year for quality road games but that doesn't seem to be the case. We used to count on SC and Clempson for a game or 2 per year but since Martin and Brownell have arrived they will not play FU.
If you listen to Coach's last podcast, you will hear a good explanation of most of this--including playing at least two non D1 games. I got no problem with current scheduling philosophy--and there are good reasons to play a couple of cupcakes at home, fan appreciation notwithstanding.
Further, we used to play only 14-16 conf games. Now it is 18, which means fewer opportunities for OOC games.
 #15571  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:49 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am
CharlieFU wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Further, we used to play only 14-16 conf games. Now it is 18, which means fewer opportunities for OOC games.
Not only has the SoCon conference games increased so have most of the big boys. The ACC is going to a 20 game conference schedule this year. I assume the maximum games has now increased to 31?
 #15646  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm
One of the best websites for early season tournaments is now showing FU in the Battle For Atlantis tournament, however this is the schedule they are showing:
Nov. 27th UT-Arlington vs. Furman
Nov. 28th UT-Arlington vs. Elon
Nov. 29th Furman vs. Elon with a question mark.
So, if there are only 3 teams in Elon this would make sense. Is there a 4th team?
As part of this tourney UT-A has on campus games with Gonzaga and Oregon and Elon has on campus games with Michigan and UNC. These games are between Nov. 15 and Nov. 20th.
If indeed there are only 3 teams at Elon surely FU will get 2 on campus games too. Then again maybe not. Why is this sort of thing kept so secret?
FYI this site lists WCU and Citadel as the only 2 SoCon teams not participating in some sort of a tourney.
 #15648  by fufanatic
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm
One of the best websites for early season tournaments is now showing FU in the Battle For Atlantis tournament, however this is the schedule they are showing:
Nov. 27th UT-Arlington vs. Furman
Nov. 28th UT-Arlington vs. Elon
Nov. 29th Furman vs. Elon with a question mark.
So, if there are only 3 teams in Elon this would make sense. Is there a 4th team?
As part of this tourney UT-A has on campus games with Gonzaga and Oregon and Elon has on campus games with Michigan and UNC. These games are between Nov. 15 and Nov. 20th.
If indeed there are only 3 teams at Elon surely FU will get 2 on campus games too. Then again maybe not. Why is this sort of thing kept so secret?
FYI this site lists WCU and Citadel as the only 2 SoCon teams not participating in some sort of a tourney.
If true, I wonder if Elon/UT Arlington will be neutral site games like last year? Also, I would personally be pumped about playing any of those big schools, especially Gonzaga and Oregon. Knock out both games on one road trip.
dornb liked this
 #15660  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:10 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:34 pm
Looks like both games are going to be played at Elon. https://utamavs.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
Yes we already knew that, the question is will FU play Elon for the second game or will there be a 4th team? Will FU just play UT-A? Will Furman get on campus games like Elon and UT-A? If there is indeed no other team at the Elon part then the only 2 teams left for Furman to play are Seton Hall and Alabama. If there is another team at the Elon part then who knows. FU may only get one other game or no other games.
 #15669  by gman
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:16 am
Nothing like using Twitter to find a game! NC Central would be a good opponent.

FU03times liked this
 #15671  by fufanatic
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:22 am
Yikes, what a disaster this is for the smaller schools. Feel like more and more that mid/low major conferences need to start pairing up like the bigger conferences are doing. It wouldn't make for the most exciting matchups, but doing a SoCon-Big South and a SoCon A-Sun challenge every year would be two non-conference games automatically. Getting the Colonial to do that would be amazing, but they would probably say no. Conference USA would be another good one.
 #15672  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am
How about the Sunbelt. App. St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St. Coastal Carolina. All very driveable.
fufanatic liked this
 #15673  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am
gman wrote:

Wow, on 8/19 we still have openings. Doubt this has ever happened before. I guess we are holding out as long as we can for another D1 game or 2 before adding non NCAA teams. NC Central is already playing at Wofford.
 #15675  by fufanatic
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am
How about the Sunbelt. App. St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St. Coastal Carolina. All very driveable.
Would be fine with that too, but remember we wouldn't always get those teams. We could just as easily get sent to Texas State or Arkansas State or somewhere that's a flight for a not very impressive opponent. Probably would still be worth it though.
 #15681  by tya1
 Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am
gman wrote:

Wow, on 8/19 we still have openings. Doubt this has ever happened before. I guess we are holding out as long as we can for another D1 game or 2 before adding non NCAA teams. NC Central is already playing at Wofford.
A few days ago I read that only 174 NCAA D1 teams had announced their basketball schedules - that is less than half of the teams.

Plenty of teams still finalizing things.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.