• New AD Will Have a Challenge

#14747  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 pm
Among the many challenges the new AD will face will be the future OOC football schedules. Immediate attention will be needed for next year's schedule as we only have one OOC game on the schedule. Between 2020 and 2025(6 seasons) we have one home OOC game scheduled. Here is what is on the schedule for the next 6 years. As you can see many holes to fill.
at Tennessee
at NC Stete
Colgate(Home)
at Colgate
at Clempson
at Kennesaw
at SEC team TBA
at Ole Miss
at Clempson
 #14756  by Affirm
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm
We don't have a basketball schedule yet either! I actually realize, or have the impression, that at least this year, maybe every year, basketball schedules are up to the head basketball coach. In any case, I expect that 1 of the many, many questions that must be asked of our candidates in interviews will be "how will you go about getting or helping get good non-conference games, especially in football and men's basketball; and what evidence do you have, regarding your experience, connections, and negotiating abilities, that would lead us to believe you will have success getting or helping get good non-conference games?"
 #14757  by Affirm
 Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 pm
Among the many challenges the new AD will face will be the future OOC football schedules. Immediate attention will be needed for next year's schedule as we only have one OOC game on the schedule. Between 2020 and 2025(6 seasons) we have one home OOC game scheduled. Here is what is on the schedule for the next 6 years. As you can see many holes to fill.
at Tennessee
at NC Stete
Colgate(Home)
at Colgate
at Clempson
at Kennesaw
at SEC team TBA
at Ole Miss
at Clempson
I realize your comment is about HOME OOC games. The following is about away games vs. FBS.
at Tennessee
It seems that all FBS schools would have all their non-conference games set already for 2020 and 2021.
at NC Stete
Colgate(Home)
at Colgate
at Clempson
at Kennesaw
at SEC team TBA
Maybe we could get on the schedule of these that do not have an FCS yet for 2023:
Alabama, LSU, Miss State, TAMU, UF (who by the was has 2 FCS this year, has EWU next year, and has Samford in 2021), UGA (who by the way has ETSU next year & Murray State this year), Missouri (has 1 or 2 FCS most years, but none yet for 2023), USC (has Wofford in 2022), UT again, Vanderbilt (has 1 each year 2019,2020, 2021).
at Ole Miss
Other schools that have 2024 openings appear to include:
Alabama, Auburn, LSU, TAMU, UF, UGA, USC, UT, VU; also Boston College, Louisville, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, GT, Miami, North Carolina (which by the way has 1 FCS school every year through 2023, but none for 2024), Pitt, Virginia Tech; also East Carolina, USF, and Charlotte (by the way, Garder-Webb plays at ECU AND at Charlotte this year, and plays at GT next year; Charlotte OUGHT to play us, now that they are established in FBS and they play 1 FCS every year now through 2022 with 3 of the 4 FCS schools that have to travel much farther than we would have to travel to get to Charlotte; plus Charlotte dropped us after they had scheduled us early in their history of having a team, so they "owe us a game");
at Clempson
Only a minority of the SEC schools and only a minority of the ACC schools have any FCS schools scheduled for 2025 or beyond; exceptions are, for 2025, FU-Clemson, Citadel-Ole Miss, North Dakota-Missouri, EKU-Louisville, Campbell-NCSU, WCU-Wake Forest
And, only these few FBS vs FCS games that I see for 2026: VMI-VT, EKU-Ole Miss, Charleston Southern-Clemson, Bethune-Cookman-USF.
And,only these 2 for 2027: Colgate-Colorado, Wofford-Clemson.
Only this 1 for 2028: Campbell-NCSU.
Regarding FCS opponents, I have repeatedly brought up wanting home and home with the likes of:
Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Rhode Island, Albany, Georgetown, Delaware, Richmond, W&M.
Good that we can get home and home again with Colgate; and I would like for us to get schools like the above added to the schedule.
It appears that generally the FCS schools do not like to schedule out too far with other OOC FCS because they are probably waiting to be asked by an FBS for money and publicity; and some of the FBS schools do not like to schedule out very far with any FCS because they need OOC home or away vs other FBS and are waiting to see what they may be able to schedule.
 #14759  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:30 am
I can tell you the 2023 SEC game is not Georgia and high probability it is not SC. My guess is Alabama mainly because they have or will play just about every other SoCon by 2023. I like some of your FCS OOC potential teams except Georgetown which has the second worst football stadium second only to Charleston Southern. There are plenty of FCS teams within 5 hours driving rather than traveling to the far reaches of the NE. I would like a home and home with Montana and James Madison.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #14763  by Affirm
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:30 am
I can tell you the 2023 SEC game is not Georgia and high probability it is not SC. My guess is Alabama mainly because they have or will play just about every other SoCon by 2023. I like some of your FCS OOC potential teams except Georgetown which has the second worst football stadium second only to Charleston Southern. There are plenty of FCS teams within 5 hours driving rather than traveling to the far reaches of the NE. I would like a home and home with Montana and James Madison.
$50,000,000 donation to Georgetown athletics by Peter/Susan Cooper led to $22,000,000 renovation to Georgetown’s on-campus stadium. It will be partially finished for this fall. To go play a prestigious school at their place, and have them also come to us, would be very good. They regularly host football teams from Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate. Georgetown is as easy to get to as some of the “within 5 hours schools” that you mention (who are they, by the way????) and much more interesting to me.
And your comment about “far reaches of the NE? I left off Maine deliberately. But even Maine would be much easier to get to than Montana. However, yes, I’d love Montana game.
 #14764  by Affirm
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am
The “within 5 hour schools” non-SoCon that I know of:
Savannah State
SC State
NCCU
NC A&T
Kennesaw State
Jacksonville State
Jacksonville Univ FL (no?; I agree)
Davidson (no?; I agree)
Presbyterian (no?; I agree)
Charleston Southern (stadium issue)
Tennessee Tech
Campbell
Eastern Kentucky
Is that about all?
Any others?
I still say we need to consider those NE schools (in PA, NY, MA, RI) plus Georgetown plus Richmond plus W&M plus Towson plus Delaware plus Duquesne etc. Many of those northern schools are
“more like Furman” than a lot of those “southern schools within 5 hours” are. Maybe we should at least seek a mixture of those northern (academic similarity) AND those southern schools (geographic proximity).
 #14770  by Davemeister
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:02 am
Want to see Bill & Mary and The Spiders on the schedule. Far enough to be considered a Road Trip, close enough to be easily arranged. Both are interesting destinations.
MNORM, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #14789  by Affirm
 Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:02 am
Want to see Bill & Mary and The Spiders on the schedule. Far enough to be considered a Road Trip, close enough to be easily arranged. Both are interesting destinations.
Glad someone besides me values interesting destinations. I agree with you about those 2.
 #15575  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 am
I’ve noticed that the Alabama coach wants all FBS Power 5 teams to play at least 10 Power 5 opponents each regular season. If that catches on broadly, it will be increasingly difficult and/or decreasingly “lucrative” for Furman to get money games which we need, especially with Power 5 teams.