• Saturday scrimmage

#15358  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:45 pm
jumping ahead.. but tomorrow was listed as a scrimmage at noon.

If anyone goes I would be interested to hear the report !

Thanks in advance.
 #15380  by Jasper
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm
A good and spirited practice scrimmage on a blistering hot day. The temperature had to be north of 100 degrees on the sun drenched field but it was a tough, hard nosed scrimmage anyway. I have learned that CCH doesn't like to show much in these scrimmages so this was basic blocking and tackling football with everyone getting sufficient reps to show their wares. Defensively, Landon Lawrence, Donovan Perryman and the entire secondary stood out despite receivers getting good separation in their routes. Both Gordon and Bell made great catches on well covered passes.
In the QB competition, both Grainger and Sisson continued to impress. No separation as yet as far as I can see. Shiflett was playing wideout today. Don't know if that was temporary or permanent. The offensive line is extremely deep and quick off the ball. At 6'4" and a fast 305, Jordan Harris is a scary sight pulling out and leading on the off tackle runs.
Both Wayne Anderson and Austin Jones had nice punt returns today. I am hearing good things about both freshman as well as fellow frosh LB Josh Agbenou and C Evan Jumper. Looks like PT for those 4 freshmen at least.
FUKA61, PalaDad, AstroDin liked this
 #15381  by Flagman
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:28 pm
I noticed a few hobbling wounded this afternoon while in P-H. One wrapped ankle on a scooter, one wearing a boot, and one on crutches. Any details?
 #15383  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm
A good and spirited practice scrimmage on a blistering hot day. The temperature had to be north of 100 degrees on the sun drenched field but it was a tough, hard nosed scrimmage anyway. I have learned that CCH doesn't like to show much in these scrimmages so this was basic blocking and tackling football with everyone getting sufficient reps to show their wares. Defensively, Landon Lawrence, Donovan Perryman and the entire secondary stood out despite receivers getting good separation in their routes. Both Gordon and Bell made great catches on well covered passes.
In the QB competition, both Grainger and Sisson continued to impress. No separation as yet as far as I can see. Shiflett was playing wideout today. Don't know if that was temporary or permanent. The offensive line is extremely deep and quick off the ball. At 6'4" and a fast 305, Jordan Harris is a scary sight pulling out and leading on the off tackle runs.
Both Wayne Anderson and Austin Jones had nice punt returns today. I am hearing good things about both freshman as well as fellow frosh LB Josh Agbenou and C Evan Jumper. Looks like PT for those 4 freshmen at least.
Another big thanks to Jasper for the report !!! He is keeping us informed. Much appreciated - seriously
PalaDad liked this
 #15388  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:00 am
PalaDad wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 pm
Thanks to Scott Keeler and his Furman Sport Report, attached is more info on today’s scrimmage.

http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2019/ ... l?spref=tw
good stuff - just a singular quote " Shiflett has spent more time at quarterback than receiver over the opening week of preseason practice, Furman coach Clay Hendrix said that will probably flip moving forward. " Sounds like Shiflett will be a WR this year and have more chance at QB next year. I could see that - tough to come in fall and learn a system in a few weeks
 #15389  by AstroDin
 Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am
Not sure why it just hit me - I guess cause I figured the quarterback dance would continue for a while. Shiflet at wide receiver is a replacement for Cam Burnette. Cam is listed on the ECU roster at 6-2 205, Shiflet is listed at 6-2 205 — identical. Cam was a big body athletic receiver, he had speed but I'd not call him a breakaway guy. Shiflet was an excellent dual-threat quarterback, passed for over 5,000 yards and 52 touchdowns and rushed for 2,000 yards and 25 touchdowns. Those stats would have been a good bit higher if Shiflet wouldn’t have broken his ankle early his senior year - I will also bet that he’s at an ACC or SEC school right now if he played a full senior season. I have no way to make an educated comparison but Shiflet IMO is a high-level 3star athlete. With his size and speed, he's a matchup problem at the FCS level and with the players, he'll be grouped with - this gives the coaches a lot to play with.

My point our receiving corp is going to be an underestimated group coming into 2019. Gordon, DeLuca, Bell, Armstrong and now Shiflet. When you throw in Ryan Miller a hybrid TE/WR this is a dangerous group.
Jasper, Davemeister liked this
 #15390  by Jasper
 Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:17 am
AstroDin wrote:
Not sure why it just hit me - I guess cause I figured the quarterback dance would continue for a while. Shiflet at wide receiver is a replacement for Cam Burnette. Cam is listed on the ECU roster at 6-2 205, Shiflet is listed at 6-2 205 — identical. Cam was a big body athletic receiver, he had speed but I'd not call him a breakaway guy. Shiflet was an excellent dual-threat quarterback, passed for over 5,000 yards and 52 touchdowns and rushed for 2,000 yards and 25 touchdowns. Those stats would have been a good bit higher if Shiflet wouldn’t have broken his ankle early his senior year - I will also bet that he’s at an ACC or SEC school right now if he played a full senior season. I have no way to make an educated comparison but Shiflet IMO is a high-level 3star athlete. With his size and speed, he's a matchup problem at the FCS level and with the players, he'll be grouped with - this gives the coaches a lot to play with.

My point our receiving corp is going to be an underestimated group coming into 2019. Gordon, DeLuca, Bell, Armstrong and now Shiflet. When you throw in Ryan Miller a hybrid TE/WR this is a dangerous group.
You are pretty much on target with those assumptions. Shiflett is a very good athlete who will be a big asset to Furman and should be on the field in some capacity. It was not reasonable to expect him to really compete right away for the QB slot. He has not been coached at that position on a college level and I understand he ran out of a direct snap/shotgun style offense in HS. That was obvious in his footwork and faking on day one. He will be a big help in the receiving corps as long as he realizes he is not going to have the ball thrown at him 15-20 times a game and we need our wideouts to block on the edges.
 #15391  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 am
Anyone know why we are not getting any practice reports on the official site? The local TV channels rely on these reports for their reporting. For example Wofford had a full report of their Saturday scrimmage on their website and channel 4 had a report on their scrimmage last night with no mention of Furman because their was no report on the Furman site. We want local coverage but we have to give coverage to get coverage. Thanks to Scott Keeler for his in depth report and others.
 #15392  by THPaladin
 Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:51 am
Not surprised at all that Shiflett will focus more on receiver as it appears and less on QB for the short term. He is just too good of an athlete to have standing around until he learns the specifics of the offense. But... I would expect him to continue to learn the system and compete again in spring. Tons of upside.
 #15393  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:37 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Likely.

Furman runs two types of receivers - flanker and split end. The split end is usually a bigger guy that will line up on the line of scrimmage opposite the TE. The flanker is mostly going to be off the line and moving around the formation a good bit.

At his size, Shiflett seems tailor made for the split end position. He's big, fast, and athletic. Adding him to the WR mix will allow Furman some flexibility. Whomever is out there, though, is going to have to throw some blocks.

I liked Burnette a lot. He was a very strong receiver downfield. What Shiflett may bring is more of an ability to get loose in traffic underneath. Burnette was excellent getting downfield and high pointing a throw, but Furman really didn't seem to work him underneath like they would with other SEs like Deluca.