• Defensive Line

#15367  by Jasper
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:15 am
Great report came out this morning on the D line. This is another unit that has a ton of experience. CCH lists 8 players that he expects to see most of the action as of right now at the 3 spots: T, NG and DE. The only one without extensive experience is Cameron Coleman who was redshirted and then ill. He is back and adds a big body inside. I would not be surprised if one or more of the freshman stick their heads into the picture but I think coach would prefer to redshirt them for a season. Of note is that Landon Lawrence has moved back inside to tackle after putting on about 30 lbs. in the weight room.
 #15371  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Furman Preseason Preview: Defensive Line

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- When sizing up Furman's defensive line a week into the preseason, head coach Clay Hendrix speaks confidently about a contingent of eight players he expects will command playing time at the three positions this fall.

"Those guys have played a lot of football, and there are a lot of names people know. They are solid and very much a blue collar bunch who bring it every day."

The Paladins, who lost two starters off last year's defensive front, including All-SoCon nose guard Jaylan Reid (40 starts) and end Chinedu Okonya (27 starts), count seven letterman among the group of returnees, four of whom boast starting experience.

Three seasoned performers are firmly in the picture at the end position: Dru Seabrook (6-3, 242, R-Jr.), Jonah Tibbs (6-3, 274, Sr.), and Alec Hanff (6-4, 243, R-Sr.).

Seabrook has seen action in 20 games and owns five sacks in his career. In the spring Tibbs made the move to end from tackle, where he had registered action in 33 games and tallied 24 starts. Hanff, meanwhile, a veteran of 17 contests, is looking to return to the field after missing the 2018 campaign with a knee injury. Two years ago he was credited with 20 tackles and 3.5 sacks in Furman's 9-4, NCAA FCS playoff campaign.

"Dru has had a good camp so far, really solid. He's bigger and stronger, has played a lot of football for us, and is a good pass rusher. We're very pleased with how he's played.

"Jonah is a guy who can play a couple of spots. He's coming off a very productive season, and we're certainly counting on him for that again.

"Alec missed most of last year after playing a good bit in 2017. He's had a good camp and is proven."

The two players listed at defensive tackle include Matt Sochovka (6-4, 265, R-So.), who played in three games and made one start last year before an injury ended his season, and Landon Lawrence (6-3, 270, Jr.), who has logged action in 23 games.

"Matt has battled injuries since he's been here, but he's healthy now and we're high on him. He has a great motor and is an effort guy who has ability and likes to play. He's really solid in there.

"Landon is playing his best ball now and has improved physically to the point he can now hold up inside. There's no way he should have been thrown in there (in the interior defensive line) two years ago, but we had to because of need. Now that's paying off."

Set to fill the vacuum at nose guard post-Jaylan Reid are three players: Parker Stokes (6-1, 278, Jr.), Taylor Hodge (5-9, 251, So.), and Cameron Coleman (6-3, 295, R-Fr.).

Two years ago Stokes was among several true freshmen pushed into the mix to develop needed depth. Now with 23 games of experience and 50 tackles to his credit, he is positioned to help ensure the middle of Furman's defense is in capable hands.

"I think Parker has a chance to have a great year. He's powerful and has a lot better speed than people realize."

Hodge made an impact as a true freshman in 2018, working as a backup at tackle where he was credited with 15 tackles in nine games.

"Taylor's not a big guy, but he's very strong. We feel like we can utilize his strength more at nose guard, but he can be a swing guy for us."

Coleman is the only player in the group of eight defensive linemen lacking playing time, having redshirted a year ago and missed most of spring practice due to illness.

"Cameron's finally healthy and gives us a big, imposing body in there."
 #15372  by Jasper
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm
Landon Lawrence looked like a completely different player. He is bigger and more aggressive than I have ever seen him. he stood out in today's scrimmage.
 #15373  by JohnW
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:14 pm
No mention of London Lewis. Highly prized recruit. Wonder what's going on there?
 #15374  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:48 pm
JohnW wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:14 pm
No mention of London Lewis. Highly prized recruit. Wonder what's going on there?
First let me say I love the article on the DL. Most prominent quote "He shouldn't have been playing as a freshman but we had to".. that was in there a few times. Glad to see we are getting depth now !!!

I too wondered of London Lewis.. He is an imposing figure (59) in the picture yet no mention of him?
 #15378  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:40 pm
Hendrix mentioned in post scrimmage comments that Caleb Auer has moved to DT. Roster reflects same.
 #15382  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:39 pm
Again, it is bad form to copy and paste an entire article from an outside source.
The reason I do it is because I like to keep the information available as the year progresses... I guess I could just do it for me to my personal email. Where I am coming from - I have sometimes just pasted links and then gone back to read about a certain player and the link didn't work anymore ... so you see my reasons

Anyway, Go Furman !
 #15384  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:27 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Again, it is bad form to copy and paste an entire article from an outside source.
The reason I do it is because I like to keep the information available as the year progresses... I guess I could just do it for me to my personal email. Where I am coming from - I have sometimes just pasted links and then gone back to read about a certain player and the link didn't work anymore ... so you see my reasons

Anyway, Go Furman !
Reposting an article in full or failing to include the link is poor etiquette. Someone else wrote it - you didn't. Others who might have been inclined to read the source article now may not because you copy and pasted it here.

If you want to keep it for posterity, then print it out and put it in a folder or something.
AstroDin liked this
 #15385  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:27 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Anyway, Go Furman !
Reposting an article in full or failing to include the link is poor etiquette. Someone else wrote it - you didn't. Others who might have been inclined to read the source article now may not because you copy and pasted it here.

If you want to keep it for posterity, then print it out and put it in a folder or something.
Cool - yeah, it's a "I want to refer to it later" thing.. I hear what you are saying
 #15401  by soconjohn
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:32 am
I thought Parker Stokes played really well Saturday in the scrimmage.
Last edited by soconjohn on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin liked this
 #15402  by soconjohn
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:36 am
On the copy and paste stuff, I usually just post the link and then everyone knows the source....As long as you give the person who wrote it credit, I don’t see any problem with copying and pasting the whole thing other than it just takes up a lot space on the thread...As usual, Hunter Reid does an awesome job with these previews...Love reading his work and I feel like he does a good job of asking coach the right questions to get those most in-depth info for these previews...You certainly don’t get that luxury with most SIDs around the country
paladinfan12 liked this
 #15403  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:46 am
soconjohn wrote:
On the copy and paste stuff, I usually just post the link and then everyone knows the source....As long as you give the person who wrote it credit, I don’t see any problem with copying and pasting the whole thing other than it just takes up a lot space on the thread...As usual, Hunter Reid does an awesome job with these previews...Love reading his work and I feel like he does a good job of asking coach the right questions to get those most in-depth info for these previews...You certainly don’t get that luxury with most SIDs around the country
As I understand the proper procedure, you always link the article and never repost the content in full. If you want to pull a few quotes and identify them as such or paraphrase the writing in your own words, that's fine. This goes for just about anything, whether a blog post, an article on Furman's athletics site, or an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal.

At bottom, it isn't any of our content to repost here in full. In the same way it isn't appropriate to copy and past all of Scott Keeler's work, or yours for that matter, it isn't proper to repurpose all of Hunter Reid's either. In essence, it drives web traffic away from the website meant to generate it.
din23, soconjohn liked this
 #15407  by fufanatic
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:46 am
soconjohn wrote:
In essence, it drives web traffic away from the website meant to generate it.
I think this is the big thing ... maybe not as much for a college athletics website (still should be respectful though), but journalists and reporters rely on those clicks. Hard to make a case that you're a needed asset if no one is clicking on your work.
 #15416  by soconjohn
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:48 pm
That’s why I always post the link and make a few comments in my own words on it...Jackal is right here, although I know gofurman was just trying to highlight a good article on the Furman DL.