• Schedule

#15359  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:16 am
UT-Arlington picked up games with Oregon and Gonzaga. Since Elon plays UNC and Michigan that leaves Seton Hall, Iowa State, Alabama and Southern Miss. Southern Miss plays at Iowa which makes no sense since they both are going to Atlantis. That leaves Alabama and Seton Hall. I think we will get Alabama and whoever the other team is will get Seton Hall. In other words we will get the short end of the stick and get only one other game instead of the 2 other games that Elon and UTA got. I thought the Alabama game would be in conjunction with the at Auburn game but the dates don't match up.
 #15365  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:00 pm
Yep, tried to find who the fourth team is that will be in Elon but can't find anything. Whoever Elon plays on Friday we will play on Saturday. The start of practice is literally 2 months away and a lot of teams still have not announced their schedules.
Interesting that so many schedules have still not been announced, if what you say is true (and I think it is).
...[additional off-the-topic commentary:
... Contrast that basketball scheduling to FBS football where the 2020 -yes, 2020 - Gamecocks schedule is getting huge coverage/discussion in the newspaper this week. (Talk is about how they’ll need to rack up 7 wins in their first 8 in 2020 to get to an 8-win season in 2020. Unmentioned, of course, is that a [likely] win by USC over Clemson this November, plus [likely] bowl success, will give USC a boost heading into 2020, and a relatively high end-of-2019 ranking.)]
 #15366  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 am
apaladin wrote:
Yep, tried to find who the fourth team is that will be in Elon but can't find anything. Whoever Elon plays on Friday we will play on Saturday. The start of practice is literally 2 months away and a lot of teams still have not announced their schedules.
Interesting that so many schedules have still not been announced, if what you say is true (and I think it is).
... Contrast that basketball scheduling to FBS football where the 2020 -yes, 2020 - Gamecocks schedule is getting huge coverage/discussion in the newspaper this week. (Talk is about how they’ll need to rack up 7 wins in their first 8 in 2020 to get to an 8-win season in 2020. Unmentioned, of course, is that a [likely] win by USC over Clemson this November, plus [likely] bowl success, will give USC a boost heading into 2020, and a relatively high end-of-2019 ranking.)]
 #15370  by gman
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:35 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 am
apaladin wrote:
Shamecocks football is certainly off topic. Move this post to FBS football.
 #15376  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:48 pm
Primary comments were about how late it seems to be that we (and others) have not yet finalized 2019 basketball regular season schedule. The shamecock commentary was “additional”, parenthetical, and secondary. The post you want moved should not be moved.
 #15399  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 pm
I've been doing a little research and here is what I have come up with in regards to Furman and the Southern Conference:
Furman: Known OOC games: Auburn
Only VMI, Wofford and UTC have released schedules: One interesting game is we play New Years Day at VMI at 1PM.
Furman plays at all 3 on the road before getting the home game.
SOCON GAMES VS. ACC:
WOFFORD: UNC, DUKE
WESTERN CAROLINA: FLORIDA STATE
UTC: FLORIDA STATE, VIRGINIA TECH
VMI: VIRGINIA TECH
UNCG: HOME WITH NC STATE
TOTAL: 7 GAMES SOCON VS ACC NOTE: CLEMPSON AND NC ST. HAVE RELEASED ONLY PARTIAL SCHEDULES.

SOCON GAMES VS. SEC:
FURMAN: FURMAN
ETSU: LSU
UTC: TENNESSEE
CITADEL: GEORGIA
WOFFORD: MISSOURI
TOTAL: 5 GAMES SOCON VS SEC NOTE: SC, MSU, ARK., ALA, TA&M, VANDY HAVE NOT RELEASED SCHEDULES.

SOCON GAMES VS. BIG TEN:
NO GAMES-NOTE: OSU AND ILLINOIS HAVE NOT RELEASED SCHEDULES. MINN AND MSU ARE INCOMPLETE

SOCON GAMES VS. BIG EAST:
UNCG: GEORGETOWN,
SAMFORD: GEORGETOWN
WCU: XAVIER
ST. JOHNS: MERCER
BUTLER: WOFFORD
TOTAL: 5 GAMES SOCON VS. BIG EAST

I DID NOT FIND ANY SOCON GAMES VS THE BIG 12 OR PAC 12 BUT MAY HAVE MISSED ONE. GOING BY THE ABOVE ALL SOCON TEAMS ARE STRUGGLING TO GET GMAES WITH THE 6 BEST CONFERENCES. ONLY SEVENTEEN GAMES VS THE 6 BEST CONFERENCES. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GO UP A LITTLE WHEN ALL SCHEDULES ARE RELEASED.
WOFFORD HAS 4, UTC HAS 3, WCU AND UNCG HAVE 2 EACH. EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE.
Affirm, FU03times liked this
 #15405  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:54 pm
I've been doing a little research and here is what I have come up with in regards to Furman and the Southern Conference:
Furman: Known OOC games: Auburn
Only VMI, Wofford and UTC have released schedules: One interesting game is we play New Years Day at VMI at 1PM.
Furman plays at all 3 on the road before getting the home game.
SOCON GAMES VS. ACC:
WOFFORD: UNC, DUKE
WESTERN CAROLINA: FLORIDA STATE
UTC: FLORIDA STATE, VIRGINIA TECH
VMI: VIRGINIA TECH
UNCG: HOME WITH NC STATE
TOTAL: 7 GAMES SOCON VS ACC NOTE: CLEMPSON AND NC ST. HAVE RELEASED ONLY PARTIAL SCHEDULES.

SOCON GAMES VS. SEC:
FURMAN: FURMAN
ETSU: LSU
UTC: TENNESSEE
CITADEL: GEORGIA
WOFFORD: MISSOURI
TOTAL: 5 GAMES SOCON VS SEC NOTE: SC, MSU, ARK., ALA, TA&M, VANDY HAVE NOT RELEASED SCHEDULES.

SOCON GAMES VS. BIG TEN:
NO GAMES-NOTE: OSU AND ILLINOIS HAVE NOT RELEASED SCHEDULES. MINN AND MSU ARE INCOMPLETE

SOCON GAMES VS. BIG EAST:
UNCG: GEORGETOWN,
SAMFORD: GEORGETOWN
WCU: XAVIER
ST. JOHNS: MERCER
BUTLER: WOFFORD
TOTAL: 5 GAMES SOCON VS. BIG EAST

I DID NOT FIND ANY SOCON GAMES VS THE BIG 12 OR PAC 12 BUT MAY HAVE MISSED ONE. GOING BY THE ABOVE ALL SOCON TEAMS ARE STRUGGLING TO GET GMAES WITH THE 6 BEST CONFERENCES. ONLY SEVENTEEN GAMES VS THE 6 BEST CONFERENCES. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GO UP A LITTLE WHEN ALL SCHEDULES ARE RELEASED.
WOFFORD HAS 4, UTC HAS 3, WCU AND UNCG HAVE 2 EACH. EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE.
Well, then do we have prospect this season for any games vs. schools from the
AMERICAN (AAC) or
Conference USA (CUSA) or
the A10?
For example:
Memphis
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Navy
Tulsa
Cincinnati
UTSA
Rice
Charlotte
Dayton
Davidson
Fordham
George Washington
UMass
Richmond
CofC
Etc.
?
Or the Ivy League (is it really too cost-prohibitive in time or money for us to fly our team to Philadelphia, Boston, and NYC?)?
(If it’s Presbyterian, USC Upstate, UNCA, Gardner-Webb, Winthrop, SC State, Charleston Southern, Campbell, Radford, Longwood, those will of course be good opponents as well. Just hoping we can minimize the non-D-1 schools on the schedule.)
 #15409  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am
I checked some of those on your list and din't find anything. Either nothing or they haven't released their schedule. The "local" teams you mentioned, we likely will go to Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern and host Upstate.
 #15420  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am
I checked some of those on your list and din't find anything. Either nothing or they haven't released their schedule. The "local" teams you mentioned, we likely will go to Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern and host Upstate.
I guess by "nothing" you mean they have released their schedules. I guess for those that have released their schedules, we would likely already know about it through the grapevine if we were on such schedules (unless they only released it very recently, maybe in the last 24 hours, not more).
By I also suppose that for the ones you checked that have not released schedules, and for the ones that you did not check that have not released schedules, there may still be some hope of getting a game.
I am not surprised that we have some games scheduled with Big South. That is fine. Still, I have hope that we will get some games against teams such as the others that I mentioned in AAC, A10, CUSA, Ivy League.
And of course I still hope that we actually do find Furman on the schedules of some of those other conferences you named, since several schools have not yet released their schedules: Big East, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC12, Mountain West.
 #15425  by Monday
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Has BR mentioned in the podcast about the possibility of something like the ACC-Big Ten Challenge? There are several conferences regionally that are equal to the SoCon (OVC, Big South, ASun). I would find that exciting, but I feel I'm also in the minority of posters on this board who like other mid-majors as OOC foes. In the past few years it would have been awesome to draw Murray St, Lipscomb, Radford, Belmont, Campbell, or FGCU. Or maybe, challenge the Patriot League and work that precious moneyed Mid-Atlantic region, but their basketball sucks.
 #15431  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 pm
Monday wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Has BR mentioned in the podcast about the possibility of something like the ACC-Big Ten Challenge? There are several conferences regionally that are equal to the SoCon (OVC, Big South, ASun). I would find that exciting, but I feel I'm also in the minority of posters on this board who like other mid-majors as OOC foes. In the past few years it would have been awesome to draw Murray St, Lipscomb, Radford, Belmont, Campbell, or FGCU. Or maybe, challenge the Patriot League and work that precious moneyed Mid-Atlantic region, but their basketball sucks.
“Precious moneyed”?
Who do you include in that category?
Who are the precious non-moneyed, the non-precious moneyed, and the non-precious non-moneyed?
Do you actually believe that those schools you mention, though fine potential opponents, would necessarily be better publicity AND better basketball than playing some A-10 and Ivy League and CAA and Patriot League?
 #15456  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 am
If you listen to CBR's latest podcast (8-13 one)he said they are at least 2 weeks out, maybe 4 before releasing the schedule. If it is 4 that would be the middle of September and only a couple of weeks from the start of practice. By what he said Auburn may be the only Power 5(yes I know that's a FB term) we play this year or at least that is the only one he mentioned. Expect to see at least 3 non-D1 games again, maybe more. He mentions being told no by 75-80 teams about coming to Timmons. When they say no there is not much you can do. He also mentioned trying to get games with similar conferences and has not had much success. He said he would really like to get 15 homes games and that pretty much means another non-D1 game for the 31st game. We play 31 games this season? As far as that 31st game I would rather go on the road and play any D1 game than to have another non D1 game at home. He did say they had some contracts out that they are waiting on. This scheduling thingy has apparently gotten really tough. First day of practice is September 24th.

FYI season opens Nov. 5th The ACC now plays 20 conference games and ACC teams open with a conference game.
 #15457  by JoeyFreshwater
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 am
Maybe he should call his peers and ask what they do as far as scheduling. We can’t be the only school that has scheduling challenges.
 #15461  by JoeyFreshwater
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 am
I realize that he’s probably thought of it. Just interesting to me you don’t really hear of other schools that Furman likes to emulate have these types of issues. And last time I emailed John dangelo, my email was ignored

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.