• Full Pads Practice

#15323  by Jasper
 Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm
The team went to full pads today after a day off yesterday for photos and the "pads were poppin" pretty good. It's funny how the defense catches up to the offense quickly once they go full contact. You can sense some hot competition going on in the trenches with so much depth on both sides of the ball. Same can be said of the secondary. I find it hard to evaluate without film so I will leave the pecking order for the coaching staff to determine in another week or so.

I don't mean to concentrate on the QB battle but it's really the only one that is visible to the naked eye from a distance. There are four good football players competing for the job with the year to year improvement of Jack Hardin and the transfer of the athletic Luke Shiflett joining the contest between Grainger and Sisson. CCH has a tough job in my view. Sisson continues to impress with his knowledge of the offense, poise and passing ability. Grainger makes the FU running game lethal when he is at the helm. With our stable of running backs, defenses then have 3 excellent runners to contend with. I believe we have scrimmages on Saturday this week and next and that should go a long way in determining the initial pecking order in this group. I would not be surprised to see a two QB situation to start the season at least.

My overall impression is that this is the most talented and deepest team I have seen in the decade I have been following the Paladins. There is no question in my mind that this coaching staff knows what to do with talent based in past performance in the Hendrix Era. Should be a fun season to be a fan.
FUKA61, AstroDin, PalaDad and 1 others liked this
 #15325  by fufanatic
 Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:41 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm
The team went to full pads today after a day off yesterday for photos and the "pads were poppin" pretty good. It's funny how the defense catches up to the offense quickly once they go full contact. You can sense some hot competition going on in the trenches with so much depth on both sides of the ball. Same can be said of the secondary. I find it hard to evaluate without film so I will leave the pecking order for the coaching staff to determine in another week or so.

I don't mean to concentrate on the QB battle but it's really the only one that is visible to the naked eye from a distance. There are four good football players competing for the job with the year to year improvement of Jack Hardin and the transfer of the athletic Luke Shiflett joining the contest between Grainger and Sisson. CCH has a tough job in my view. Sisson continues to impress with his knowledge of the offense, poise and passing ability. Grainger makes the FU running game lethal when he is at the helm. With our stable of running backs, defenses then have 3 excellent runners to contend with. I believe we have scrimmages on Saturday this week and next and that should go a long way in determining the initial pecking order in this group. I would not be surprised to see a two QB situation to start the season at least.

My overall impression is that this is the most talented and deepest team I have seen in the decade I have been following the Paladins. There is no question in my mind that this coaching staff knows what to do with talent based in past performance in the Hendrix Era. Should be a fun season to be a fan.
Thanks for the report. I'm honestly expecting for this to be the most complete Furman team since at least 2006. That doesn't necessarily mean a deep run in the playoffs, but the pieces appear to be just about in place for a great season.
PalaDad, FUKA61 liked this