• 2020 commitments

#15277  by JohnW
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am
There are a number of R-JRs that I think will go ahead and graduate, and there will be (hopefully not many) some other casualties. Of course this is an unknown. I guessed a number of 14-16 and I think it could go as high as 18.
 #15284  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am
There are a number of R-JRs that I think will go ahead and graduate, and there will be (hopefully not many) some other casualties. Of course this is an unknown. I guessed a number of 14-16 and I think it could go as high as 18.

FIrst let me say I am impressed with these recruits !!

That said, I guess I was really hoping we could return 4 starting OL next year (all but Godwin) ! I believe that is where the game is won..in the trenches and trenches takes size, strength and years of training.. Maybe we can keep one or two like Layton . People get excited about new OL recruits but I would far rather an all-conference R-Senior like Layton come back !!

As FUBeAR has said - Recruit, RETAIN and DEVELOP
 #15289  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:14 pm
gofurman wrote:

That said, I guess I was really hoping we could return 4 starting OL next year (all but Godwin)....Maybe we can keep one or two like Layton . People get excited about new OL recruits but I would far rather an all-conference R-Senior like Layton come back !!
WTF are you talking about?

Don't go jumping off the bridge because someone says "hey some RS Jr's might not come back" and you assume it's the whole starting OL

We have 11 RS Jr's. It's reasonable to assume some that are not starters won't return.
fufanatic liked this
 #15292  by fufanatic
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:

That said, I guess I was really hoping we could return 4 starting OL next year (all but Godwin)....Maybe we can keep one or two like Layton . People get excited about new OL recruits but I would far rather an all-conference R-Senior like Layton come back !!

Don't go jumping off the bridge because someone says "hey some RS Jr's might not come back" and you assume it's the whole starting OL

We have 11 RS Jr's. It's reasonable to assume some that are not starters won't return.
I have a feeling that the list of legit starters that chose not to come back for one more season after graduating is very small over the last 20 years. In fact, I can't name one off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's been a few.
 #15294  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:00 pm
Dang peeps. Calm down ... I think that initial response was truly a little harsh.

However, JUST THIS YEAR Q Weems was leaving as a returning starter at CB and had to be coaxed back. I’ve seen it several times. Heck, use to be Georgia Southern couldn’t believe any of our R-Jr would leave when they did w one year of football eligibility left. But they did.

Hope all of ‘em return !
 #15295  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm
Here is a summary of our 9 (5 D, 4 O) commits to date with other offers listed....

3 DB's
2 LB's
2 OL's
1 WR
1 RB

Caden Richards DB (6-1, 180) Gaffney SC (Mercer, Richmond)
Ty Youngblood LB (6-0, 210) Greeneville, TN (Army, Navy, AFA, ETSU, Richmond)
Evan DiMaggio LB/TE (6-3, 225) Buford, GA (Colo St, Liberty, Central Fl, Akron, Coastal Car, UNCC, AFA, Cincy)
Jack Rhodes DB/OLB (6-1, 188) Alpharetta, GA (Jax St, Ivies, Coastal Car, EKU)
Micah Robinson CB (5-11, 160) Westlake, GA (Jax St, Wofford, So Ill, Tenn Tech, Tenn St, So Ill, APSU)
Kendall Thomas RB (5-8, 175) Round Rock, TX (AFA, Dartmouth, Princeton)
Ambe Caldwell WR (6-1, 182) Atlanta, GA (So Ill, AFA, Columbia, Yale, Fordham)
EJ Wilson OL (6-4, 290) Xenia, OH (Colo St, Akron, YSU, EKU, Ivies, AFA, Navy, Colgate)
Dylan Davis OL (6-3, 260) Bradenton, FL (Illinois, Iowa St, Army, Cornell)
AstroDin, Jasper, MNORM liked this
 #15296  by AstroDin
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
Here is a summary of our 9 (5 D, 4 O) commits to date with other offers listed....

3 DB's
2 LB's
2 OL's
1 WR
1 RB

Evan DiMaggio LB/TE (6-3, 225) Buford, GA (Colo St, Liberty, Central Fl, Akron, Coastal Car, UNCC, AFA, Cincy)
Micah Robinson CB (5-11, 160) Westlake, GA (Jax St, Wofford, So Ill, Tenn Tech, Tenn St, So Ill, APSU)
EJ Wilson OL (6-4, 290) Xenia, OH (Colo St, Akron, YSU, EKU, Ivies, AFA, Navy, Colgate)
Great job Paul - I was just thinking about where does Furman stand… lots to excited about by this class so far.
FUKA61 liked this
 #15300  by Jasper
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:01 pm
Paul C wrote:

3 DB's
2 LB's
2 OL's
1 WR
1 RB

Most of them either have ivy or service academy offers. That makes them smart kids who want to go to a really good school. That seems to be the vein that CCH is mining and it seems to be paying off very well. I think this year's team is loaded with talent and depth and a recruiting class like this has begun will keep that ball rolling.
 #15301  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:04 pm
That's a pretty impressive list of early signees.
 #15305  by JohnW
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:26 pm
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:

It happens every year and there has been the occasional member of the 2-deep. Already two of the guys I thought likely have reclassified as seniors. So we're up to twelve.
 #15308  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:50 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm
A Weems was not coaxed back. He showed up in coaches office and said he wanted to play. Straight from coach’s mouth.
Sorry, I was told he was coaxed back by one of the people who posts here often.
 #15311  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm
Let's worry about next offseason next offseason.
Jackal, I hear ya. Just one question then - how often do we lose Redshirt Juniors who are getting a lot of playing time? I ask because it did happen when I was in school. Maybe it's very rare now?

IE, I guess I am asking do most R-Juniors who are getting a lot of PT return for a 5th year now? .. I will send you a PM too.
 #15312  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:59 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm
Let's worry about next offseason next offseason.
Jackal, I hear ya. Just one question then - how often do we lose Redshirt Juniors who are getting a lot of playing time? I ask because it did happen when I was in school. Maybe it's very rare now?

IE, I guess I am asking do most R-Juniors who are getting a lot of PT return for a 5th year now? .. I will send you a PM too.
Not everyone realizes this, but Playing College Football is REALLY, REALLY HARD.

Each individual has to make the decision whether or not they want to continue playing, not just every season; sometimes it’s e’ry dang day!
Paladin82 liked this