• A STUPID loss

#1427  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 pm
Paladins down 5-2 in the 9th rallied for 2 runs and had runners at first and second and still no outs. Guess what we do next? Yep the old bunt with a good hitter, Jake Crawford at the plate. After he fouls it off for strike 2, he bunts again and whiffs and rally is officially killed yet again and Paladins lose 5-4. This one is again on Harker.
furman88, Flagman, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #1428  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 pm
Yep, bad idea
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FU69 liked this
 #1429  by hawg
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm
I was dumbfounded. I did not think Brett was as married to the %^#$ bunt as was his predecessor. OK, first four guys get on, two runs in, now down 5-4 with the damned CLEANUP hitter at the plate, nobody out. Was it OK to bunt here with someone who prolly does not practice it much or well? Maybe. Was it OK to bunt with 2 strikes? HELL NO. He made a pass at a ball that was high and nearly a foot outside, strike 3. Now even if he had gotten it down, successfully, that would be 1 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Now they will OF COURSE walk hitter #5 to get a force everywhere and we put the game in the hands of #6 and #7. This was a brain fart of significant value.
While I'm here, have they change the rule such that a batted ball is foul if it strikes home plate?? Seriously?? This call has been made in the last two games I have attended. Kinda renders the Baltimore Chop useless as a strategy. And it was a game changer this time.
FU69 liked this
 #1430  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 pm
I don't see how a batted ball that hits home plate is foul as the entire plate is in fair territory.
FU69 liked this
 #1444  by tim
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:03 pm
Small ball will hurt you
FU69 liked this
 #1475  by Flagman
 Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:47 pm
I listened to Coach Harker’s explanation on Dan Scott’s show. Still looks like a dumb move.
FU69 liked this
 #1499  by The Jackal
 Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am
Again, virtually the only time a sacrifice bunt makes sense is when you are playing for a single run late in the ball game. Tie game in the 8th with the winning run on first and nobody out; that sort of thing.

It seems especially a bad idea in a offense friendly college environment and certainly with one of your better hitters at the dish.
FU69, MNORM liked this
 #1548  by hawg
 Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 am
When your staff / defense is giving up 7 runs per game, things need to be considered differently, ESPECIALLY with regard to bunts in early innings.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.