• Jonathan Jean transferring

#1437  by FU03times
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:30 pm
Jonathan Jean just announced on his social media he will be transferring out of Furman. Sad to see him go, he is such an important piece of the team, like every other player...Does anyone know anything more, like why he’s making this move?
 #1439  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm
I guess I'm a bit confused too ... he's played three years here, no redshirting or anything. Is he graduating early and transferring for his final year as a grad transfer? If not, can you transfer to a school as an undergrad for just one year? Best of luck to him. Certainly a bummer, probably more off the court than on, but I get it if he wants to play. Will be curious to see where he goes.
 #1440  by Paul C
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm
Not surprised at all. Has some skills and talent and deserves to go somewhere where he will get some PT. It wasn't going to be here. Alex Hunter and Andrew Taylor will be our PG rotation next year. Maybe Jaylon Pugh plays some instead of red-shirting.

Also frees up a scholly for a late signee if someone comes available we really like.

A great kid. Great attitude even when things didn't go his way. Hope he finds a place where he can make a difference, because he can.
Jasper liked this
 #1442  by Monday
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm
Bummer. Great guy, he was fantastic with all the little kids who showed up to games.

Best of luck, Mook!

Maybe, we can use that extra scholly on a big.
 #1443  by tya1
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 pm
I think that is the first player to transfer from Furman in over three years. A few months ago it was said that only Furman and North Carolina of 351 D1 schools could claim that long a period without a transfer.

Do you think we might be open to a transfer into the program? There are a few players we recruited previously who are on the move this year.
 #1448  by Fessor
 Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 am
Nice kid. Good representative of the school. Sorry to hear this news. I hope he finds what he's looking for.
 #1451  by paladinfan12
 Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 am
tya1 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 pm
I think that is the first player to transfer from Furman in over three years. A few months ago it was said that only Furman and North Carolina of 351 D1 schools could claim that long a period without a transfer.

Do you think we might be open to a transfer into the program? There are a few players we recruited previously who are on the move this year.
I can't imagine Richey would look into that unless there were multiple kids tranferring out.

Too bad to hear about Jean, not surprised though. He just wants to play, and he wasn't going to do much of that here.
 #1453  by Jasper
 Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am
I don't blame him at all. He is a great kid with some very good basketball skills that was not playing here for whatever reasons. The young man is a talented player who deserves significant court time and I hope it gets it at the right place. It was obvious that was not going to happen at Furman. Very fine young man who was a credit to this university. I am very sorry to see him leave but understand his decision completely and wish him the very best.
 #1455  by fufanatic
 Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am
I understand wanting playing time, I just didn't realize you could transfer to a school for one year unless it's as a graduate transfer. If it's not, I hope he's figured out a way to make sure all his courses transfer so he can graduate on time. He's played in double-digit games every year, so I don't think he can claim a red shirt.
 #1460  by JohnW
 Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 pm
This makes sense of a story I saw earlier about a kid that de-committed from Drake when Medved left. He mentioned Furman as being one of the schools that had gotten in touch with him. I knew we didn't have a scholarship and wondered about Andrew Brown's health. His name is Messiah Jones, 6-5 155 SF, from Simeon HS in Chicago.
Fessor, FU69 liked this
 #1465  by paladinfan12
 Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 am
fufanatic wrote:
I understand wanting playing time, I just didn't realize you could transfer to a school for one year unless it's as a graduate transfer. If it's not, I hope he's figured out a way to make sure all his courses transfer so he can graduate on time. He's played in double-digit games every year, so I don't think he can claim a red shirt.
Jean did not redshirt, so I believe he can sit out a year and then play next year - unless he goes to a DII school where he could play right away.
 #1467  by fufanatic
 Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 am
fufanatic wrote:
Jean did not redshirt, so I believe he can sit out a year and then play next year - unless he goes to a DII school where he could play right away.
Good point. In addition to actually getting real playing time, I wonder if he's thinking that he could walk away with an undergraduate and graduate degree by transferring to another DI school? Sit out a year due to transfer rules and finish up degree and then immediately jump into graduate classes during final year of eligibility. Would be a smart way to work the system a bit.
 #1470  by soconjohn
 Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:44 am
The staff is doing something right...They recruit great people....I am gonna miss Jean, but at the same time, I am happy he will get a chance to get more playing time somewhere else...Check this youtube video out on Quintez Cephus...Another great person...
FU69 liked this
 #1552  by fufanatic
 Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:17 am
So it sounds like Jonathan will take classes at Furman through the summer, transfer to a DII school for a year to play hoops, and then come back to Furman to finish his degree. I've never heard of such a situation, but it sure says a lot about him, the Furman coaches and the program that all that can be worked out, there's no hard feelings and it's a win-win for Jonathan in that he gets to play and still graduate from Furman. Awesome answer to a tough situation.
MNORM, Jasper, gman and 4 others liked this
 #1556  by paladinfan12
 Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:08 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:17 am
So it sounds like Jonathan will take classes at Furman through the summer, transfer to a DII school for a year to play hoops, and then come back to Furman to finish his degree. I've never heard of such a situation, but it sure says a lot about him, the Furman coaches and the program that all that can be worked out, there's no hard feelings and it's a win-win for Jonathan in that he gets to play and still graduate from Furman. Awesome answer to a tough situation.
That is an odd situation. I wonder if the school will bill him tuition for the year he comes back to Furman.