Fessor wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:02 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 pm
Fessor wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:36 am
FU3 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 pm
High Point???? Forbes has them as the #311 Private College in the country (Furman #87) #152 in Liberal Arts University’s (Furman #45). The current endowment is $65 million with $150 Million plus in long term debt. Caught and being passed... hardly.

Ask FU administration who they are losing students to.

BTW, that US News ranking is what is called a "trailing indicator".

Speaking of the endowment what's been the growth rate under the current Furman President?
When the facts don’t fit the narrative change the goal posts. High Point is never mentioned in any conversations about competition I have had with Furman administrators and luckily I get to have a conversation with one every day.
Let's just say I don't share the high opinion of the current administration, or the performance of the Board of Trustees for that matter. Leadership of Furman is weak.

I'm still waiting on a list of accomplishments.
So, what do You say needs to happen differently before You can say "Leadership of Furman is not weak"? And do You have ideas of things that You could do to help, even slightly help or perhaps greatly help, those things happen?
 #14413  by Fessor
 Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:07 am
Paul C wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:16 pm
Fessor wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 am
And on a deeper and even more serious level, are we going to be able to continue to retain our superb president Elizabeth Davis long term?
No kidding. In the 5 years she's been here all hires (athletically at least - AD, BB, FB) have been golden. My daughter said all the students took to her quickly as well. Pres. Davis is a real gem.
Accomplishments?

I don't share your opinion. I see a school (Furman) that is being caught and passed by schools (e.g., Elon; High Point) that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Furman.
Elon whose basketball team couldn’t keep it within 20 at their place and High Point whose basketball team sucks and who doesn’t even play football?

You made the most bizarre statement of 2019. So far.
Talking about the schools and competition for quality students, not athletics..
 #14415  by Paul C
 Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 am
Ok I’ll buy that. Both schools have made big strides there but Elon especially pulls aggressively from the Northeast....
 #14416  by fufanatic
 Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:25 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 am
Ok I’ll buy that. Both schools have made big strides there but Elon especially pulls aggressively from the Northeast....
And they don't even have men's lacrosse!
 #14417  by Affirm
 Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 pm
In response to several posts in this thread, I am mentioning the following about Elon.
1. In the classification of Regional Universities, US News has Elon #1 - above Samford, Rollins, Stetson, App State, Coll of Charleston, etc. (Of course, FU is a different classification, I.e., National Liberal Arts Colleges. In that, we are #51,
and we really should be striving to be at least in the top 40 in that classification.)
2. Elon’s football team caused a whole lot of traveling Paladins fans a great deal of heartache and disappointment last September.
3. At least on the outside (I did not see inside), Elon’s brand new basketball arena is impressive.
 #14430  by Affirm
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 am
Who have been the Furman AD’s since Lyles Alley?
Where did each of them go?
My actual question is this: what previous FU AD’s moved up immediately to a next position of a similar quality of job as what MB is now going to?
And my point is that the FU AD job should be quite attractive nationally, at least regionally, so we should have some good candidates.
Is there the need to, and are there resources to, increase our salary and benefits for the job? As someone noted already, there are some difficult tasks and decisions ahead for whoever gets this job.
And on a deeper and even more serious level, are we going to be able to continue to retain our superb president Elizabeth Davis long term?
Since no one answered my questions, I have done a little research and found the following. Not sure of the years that Baughman was at FU, nor who was between Lyles Alley and him or between him and Gary Clark. I still want someone to fill in that info. Here's some about Baughman than I did find:
Dutch Baughman Was Director of Athletics at Furman University, Virginia Tech, and Oregon State University. served as the Senior Associate Commissioner of the Southwest Conference from 1982-1987, From 1997 to October 1, 2015, Dutch retired as the Executive Director of the Division 1A Athletic Directors’ Association, after 18 years in that position.
…common theme …through Dutch’s entire career was his emphasis on the well-being of the student-athlete and support for each sports program; not just the high profile sports. Dutch speaks regularly around the country on a variety of topics and serves as a member of the Board of Directors of several organizations and businesses. In addition to his work in intercollegiate athletics, Dutch served three years in the United States Marine Corps, and was an account executive with Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith. …is a graduate of the TCU Ranch Management Program and has managed a 50,000 acre cattle ranch. … has been married for 45 years to the former Jacquelyn Lear, … reside in Southlake, Texas
 #14431  by Affirm
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:39 pm
It was Lyles Alley from ________ (some year after 1944) to 1975.
(*)
It was Dutch Baughman from 1979 to 1983.
(*)
It was Gary Clark from 2000 to 2015.
It was Mike Buddie from 2015 to 2019.
Who were the names and the years for whoever else we had in the AD position between 1975-1979 and between 1983-2000?
And who has the year that Alley officially began to serve as AD?
About Lyles Alley:
Jesse Lyles Alley was born on July 9, 1908 in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He spent the early years of his life on a dairy farm sharecropped by his father and uncles. After his grandfather was injured in a mule wagon accident, the family moved into town. For a time following their relocation, Alley helped to support his family by selling newspapers in the street. His childhood friend and future Furman University president, Dr. Gordon Blackwell was an instrumental factor in setting the foundation for Alley’s future career at Furman. As boys, the pair built a basketball goal and, guided by the “faint glow” of a “10-watt light bulb,” learned how to shoot baskets together. Upon Alley’s graduation from Spartanburg High School, the Blackwell family helped rally the community to gather the funds necessary for him to accept his athletic scholarship at Furman and attend the university.
Late summer night practices coupled with natural athletic ability led Alley to become a star college athlete. A testament to his athletic affinity, he graduated from Furman in 1933 as a four-year letterman in track, baseball, football, and basketball, earning twelve letters in total. Alley had a successful beginning to his post-graduate athletic career. He coached the Southern Bleachery basketball team in Taylors, South Carolina during the 1930s and the undefeated Miami Senior High School football team in 1942. He served in the Navy during World War II, and, after his return, accepted a position in Furman athletics. Over a 33 year career at his alma mater, Alley served as an assistant football coach, head basketball and baseball coach, a faculty member in the Physical Education Department, and the university’s athletic director. In total, he supervised twenty seasons of basketball, and Alley retired from coaching in 1966 as Furman’s most successful coach overseeing 245 victories.
In 1975, Alley officially ended his association with Furman University athletics when he stepped down from the position of athletic director. Although he was an athlete, coach, and administrator during his time at Furman, Alley’s legacy is arguably rooted in his contributions to the university’s basketball program. When Alley received the head coaching position for the team in 1945, athletic funds for the university were low. Players sometimes traveled to and from games “in cars belonging to Alley and his friends.” However, under Coach Alley’s leadership, the team “shot” to national prominence in the 1950s. He personally recruited Frank Selvy, Furman’s first All-American player who, in 1954, set a national collegiate record when he individually scored 100 points in single game against Newberry College. Another of Alley’s players, Darryll Floyd, soon joined in sharing the honor of designation as an All-American athlete and gained further positive attention for Furman’s athletics. In addition to the successes of individual players, Alley’s entire basketball program received widespread recognition as national scoring champions from 1953 to 1956 and his 1951-1952 team celebrated as the nation’s most improved.
After his retirement from Furman, Alley stayed busy working as an executive at a local box manufacturing company co-founded by his son. In 1984, Furman established an athletic scholarship in Coach Alley’s name. He received news of the honor at a surprise ceremony held at halftime during a Furman basketball game. His induction into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame and the Furman Athletic Hall of Fame further celebrated Alley’s prestige as a coach and athlete. Lyles Alley passed away March 16, 1990 at the age of 81, bringing to an end a lifetime spent in connection with Furman and the Greenville community.
 #14432  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:14 pm
Wasn’t Dick Sheridan AD during some of the time he was coaching at Furman? Didn’t Ray Parlier succeed him? Then George Bennett and John Block for a few years in the late 1990s? That takes care of most if not all of the 80s and 90s that you are missing.
 #14439  by fufanatic
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Wasn’t Dick Sheridan AD during some of the time he was coaching at Furman? Didn’t Ray Parlier succeed him? Then George Bennett and John Block for a few years in the late 1990s? That takes care of most if not all of the 80s and 90s that you are missing.
I'm almost positive John Block was right before Clark and served for several years. Believe he was a history professor at some point. Maybe he was the faculty rep for athletics? I don't know. Quite a weird leap though, but to be honest I can't say whether he was a good AD or a bad one, so I guess I can't judge the decision too much.
 #14441  by furpop16
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 pm
Fessor wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:02 pm
I'm still waiting on a list of accomplishments.
I’m afraid you’ve caught me wearing purple-colored glasses. I can’t provide any objective accomplishments, only a subjective sense. Nevertheless, I feel good about the money I’ve spent there and am satisfied with her performance.
 #14447  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:38 am
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
I'm almost positive John Block was right before Clark and served for several years. Believe he was a history professor at some point. Maybe he was the faculty rep for athletics? I don't know. Quite a weird leap though, but to be honest I can't say whether he was a good AD or a bad one, so I guess I can't judge the decision too much.
George Bennett from 1986 to 1989, per a CU web page. So that gets it down to 18 years still to find out.
John Block was an excellent history professor, as well as a Furman graduate who played basketball for Furman.
I think Parlier was after Bennett; and that Parlier was mid-1990’s.
David Shi was president 1994-2010, so possibly he selected Parlier, Block, and Clark.
 #14464  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm
OK, here's what I believe is a complete list, since Lyles Alley.
It was Lyles Alley from ________ (some year after 1944) to June 1, 1975.
It was John C. West (who had been Associate AD under Alley) as Director of Men's Athletics June 1, 1975-August 1, 1979
It was Dutch Baughman from 1979 to 1983.
It was Dick Sheridan serving as both AD and Head Football Coach beginning September 1983 to 1986.
It was George Bennett from 1986 to 1989.
It was Ray Parlier from Aug 3, 1989, after George Bennett left. Parlier was initially Interim AD and was named AD in November 1989 (typo corrected -89, not 83). Parlier stepped down July 31, 1995.
(David Shi had begun his tenure as president in 1994.)
It was Bob Warming August 1, 1995, through March 1996.
It was John Block as interim AD from March 1996, until July 1, 1996.
The AD position was eliminated July 1, 1996, when Dr. Block officially became VP for Intercollegiate Athletics. That position performed all the duties of an AD.
It was Gary Clark from September 1, 2000, to 2015.
(David Shi continued his tenure as president until 2010.)
It was Mike Buddie from 2015 to 2019.
(Elizabeth Davis had begun her tenure as president in 2015.)
****My appreciation to staff of Furman University Libraries who provided much of the above information. ****
Average tenure, excluding Clark, for the 8 since Lyles Alley, is about 3.5 years. Let’s aim for someone, for our next AD, who we can expect to stay 4 to 5 years, getting the best AD we can get, not just settling for someone because we think they’re “OK” and we expect they will stay 12-15 years. We’re fortunate MB stayed 4 years.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.