• Mike Buddie to Army

#14318  by Jasper
 Wed May 29, 2019 1:09 pm
I have not seen a formal announcement as yet but am hearing that Mike Buddie is leaving for the AD job at West Point.
Last edited by Jasper on Wed May 29, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #14320  by Flagman
 Wed May 29, 2019 2:50 pm
This stings!
 #14321  by fufanatic
 Wed May 29, 2019 2:54 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:50 pm
This stings!
Yes it does, but we got 4 really great years out of him and I certainly respect the institution he's leaving us for. We can say for certainty that the department is better now than when he took over. I have faith that Elizabeth Davis will put in the same effort and care into finding a quality replacement than she did when hiring MB.
FU3, FUKA61, Jasper and 2 others liked this
 #14325  by Flagman
 Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 pm
When you hire quality people, this is going to happen. Other people will want them; especially after the job Mike has done for the Paladins. I hope he likes cold winters.
Jasper liked this
 #14330  by Affirm
 Wed May 29, 2019 10:48 pm
I am sad he is leaving Furman so soon, but not in the least bit surprised. My guess is that he will continue working his way up, and that he will be at a BCS level or Power Five level within 7 years from now - if he so desires.
At Army, he will have a lot more money and resources and staff assistance/support and student (cadet) support and nationwide connections with which to work.
Other than that, I will say:
GO ARMY BEAT NAVY
furpop16, Jasper liked this
 #14334  by soconjohn
 Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 am
I suspect he'll want his job back once he meets Jeff Monken...lol....Kidding...Best of luck to him...Mike is a really nice guy and good at his job...He is a good listener and is open to suggestions from fans, media etc...He will be missed, but I am glad for what he did for Furman.
 #14335  by Affirm
 Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 am
Who have been the Furman AD’s since Lyles Alley?
Where did each of them go?
My actual question is this: what previous FU AD’s moved up immediately to a next position of a similar quality of job as what MB is now going to?
And my point is that the FU AD job should be quite attractive nationally, at least regionally, so we should have some good candidates.
Is there the need to, and are there resources to, increase our salary and benefits for the job? As someone noted already, there are some difficult tasks and decisions ahead for whoever gets this job.
And on a deeper and even more serious level, are we going to be able to continue to retain our superb president Elizabeth Davis long term?
 #14347  by furpop16
 Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm
affirm wrote:
And on a deeper and even more serious level, are we going to be able to continue to retain our superb president Elizabeth Davis long term?
No kidding. In the 5 years she's been here all hires (athletically at least - AD, BB, FB) have been golden. My daughter said all the students took to her quickly as well. Pres. Davis is a real gem.
fufanatic, FUKA61 liked this
 #14383  by Fessor
 Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 pm
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:
No kidding. In the 5 years she's been here all hires (athletically at least - AD, BB, FB) have been golden. My daughter said all the students took to her quickly as well. Pres. Davis is a real gem.
Accomplishments?

I don't share your opinion. I see a school (Furman) that is being caught and passed by schools (e.g., Elon; High Point) that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Furman.
 #14385  by Paul C
 Fri May 31, 2019 9:16 pm
Fessor wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:
Accomplishments?

I don't share your opinion. I see a school (Furman) that is being caught and passed by schools (e.g., Elon; High Point) that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Furman.
Elon whose basketball team couldn’t keep it within 20 at their place and High Point whose basketball team sucks and who doesn’t even play football?

You made the most bizarre statement of 2019. So far.
 #14386  by FU3
 Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 pm
Fessor wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
affirm wrote:

Accomplishments?

High Point???? Forbes has them as the #311 Private College in the country (Furman #87) #152 in Liberal Arts University’s (Furman #45). The current endowment is $65 million with $150 Million plus in long term debt. Caught and being passed... hardly.
 #14390  by Fessor
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:36 am
FU3 wrote:
High Point???? Forbes has them as the #311 Private College in the country (Furman #87) #152 in Liberal Arts University’s (Furman #45). The current endowment is $65 million with $150 Million plus in long term debt. Caught and being passed... hardly.

Ask FU administration who they are losing students to.

BTW, that US News ranking is what is called a "trailing indicator".

Speaking of the endowment what's been the growth rate under the current Furman President?
 #14398  by FU3
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 pm
Fessor wrote:
FU3 wrote:

Speaking of the endowment what's been the growth rate under the current Furman President?
When the facts don’t fit the narrative change the goal posts. High Point is never mentioned in any conversations about competition I have had with Furman administrators and luckily I get to have a conversation with one every day.
 #14402  by Fessor
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:02 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 pm
Fessor wrote:
FU3 wrote:

When the facts don’t fit the narrative change the goal posts. High Point is never mentioned in any conversations about competition I have had with Furman administrators and luckily I get to have a conversation with one every day.
Let's just say I don't share the high opinion of the current administration, or the performance of the Board of Trustees for that matter. Leadership of Furman is weak.

I'm still waiting on a list of accomplishments.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.