• A. D. Search

#14341  by cavedweller2
 Thu May 30, 2019 10:50 am
Dan Radakovitch - Pickens U
 #14342  by 76MrMoto
 Thu May 30, 2019 11:00 am
Below is official announcement of Mike's departure;

"Mike Buddie leaves Furman to accept AD role at Army West Point
Mandrallius Robinson, The Greenville News Published 10:32 a.m. ET May 30, 2019 | Updated 10:35 a.m. ET May 30, 2019

Mike Buddie is no longer the athletic director at Furman University. Buddie vacated his position to accept the same role at Army West Point. Buddie was introduced during a ceremony in New York on Thursday morning.

Buddie had guided Furman's program since July 2015. Under his direction, Furman secured a multi-year apparel deal with Nike, won 30 Southern Conference championships and qualified 17 teams for NCAA Tournaments.

Buddie was also instrumental in the successful bid to bring the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament to Greenville in 2017.

"We'll truly miss Mike and all that he has brought to Furman, but we're excited for him as he pursues this new opportunity," Furman president Elizabeth Davis said in a statement.

Davis said Furman will "begin a national search immediately" for Buddie's replacement."
 #14345  by fufanatic
 Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 am
I have faith that Elizabeth Davis will find an outstanding candidate, and I would be stunned if it wasn't an external hire. I personally prefer a smaller school AD that wants to move up a notch or two. They understand how to work with a smaller budget, less name recognition, etc. Having said that, MB clearly knew what he was doing coming from an ACC school in Wake, so I think both could work.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on what big decisions could be on the horizon? My first thoughts are what to do with MBB, baseball and lacrosse (all for different reasons), and how it's going to impact a school like Furman when the next realignment happens or when the pay structure for student-athletes shifts. Could also be thinking about what to do with Timmons and how to make Furman more connected with Greenville.
 #14346  by apaladin
 Thu May 30, 2019 12:31 pm
Why so much love for a woman AD? Nothing wrong with it but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is NC State's and that hasn't worked out so well. They may or may not be a good hire but with the current state of FU athletics it's prolly not a good time to be experimenting. The UNCA AD has no experience dealing with football either. IMHO we need someone with D1 experience. D1 is a whole different game compared to D2 and lower.
 #14348  by Paul C
 Thu May 30, 2019 1:43 pm
Top25 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 pm
Rob Carson
How can you promote the spouse of a current HC to the role of her immediate supervisor?
apaladin liked this
 #14349  by FU3
 Thu May 30, 2019 1:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
Why so much love for a woman AD? Nothing wrong with it but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is NC State's and that hasn't worked out so well. They may or may not be a good hire but with the current state of FU athletics it's prolly not a good time to be experimenting. The UNCA AD has no experience dealing with football either. IMHO we need someone with D1 experience. D1 is a whole different game compared to D2 and lower.
I could care less if it is a woman or man just as long as they are effective for Furman athletics. Off the top of your head you would be absolutely wrong about the number of female D1 AD's (that would be 35). I don't think Pitt. Washington and Penn State to name a few have women AD's for experimentation purposes.
MNORM, Paladin575 liked this
 #14350  by fufanatic
 Thu May 30, 2019 2:10 pm
FU3 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
I could care less if it is a woman or man just as long as they are effective for Furman athletics. Off the top of your head you would be absolutely wrong about the number of female D1 AD's (that would be 35). I don't think Pitt. Washington and Penn State to name a few have women AD's for experimentation purposes.
Yep. Like most things in our society, just because we (society) are slow to implement something that's different, doesn't mean that it's not worth doing. Women play college sports, they get degrees in business, they know how to fundraise. I'm quite certain that one would make a successful AD. Flipping through the list, it seems that there are several women ADs at a level that's similar to Furman's. I hope we consider all candidates and make the best decision possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... _directors
 #14352  by apaladin
 Thu May 30, 2019 2:23 pm
Just need the best possible person regardless of sex, color, creed, national origin etc. It is a pivotal time in FU athletics and we just need the best possible leader.
furpop16, Jasper, Davemeister and 2 others liked this
 #14356  by Mr. Taggart
 Thu May 30, 2019 4:48 pm
Chris Colvin at Conference Carolinas and Brian Reese at Lander are two strong names with Furman ties.

On the imitation is the sincerest form of flattery front, I would sure give Danny Morrison a call to see if he wants to get back into the small school AD gig.
 #14357  by fufanatic
 Thu May 30, 2019 5:24 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:48 pm
Chris Colvin at Conference Carolinas and Brian Reese at Lander are two strong names with Furman ties.

On the imitation is the sincerest form of flattery front, I would sure give Danny Morrison a call to see if he wants to get back into the small school AD gig.
Thought briefly about CC myself. I believe he was Gary Clark's right hand man for several years. I think he just got that gig at the Conference Carolinas very recently. Not sure if he would want to leave so soon/what else is on his resume post Furman.
 #14360  by Top25
 Thu May 30, 2019 8:28 pm
anybody associated with Davidson, Shi or GC should automatically not be considered
bj93, Fessor, 76MrMoto and 4 others liked this
 #14361  by Affirm
 Thu May 30, 2019 8:54 pm
Not that we could possibly get her, but I wish we could get a clone of the Colgate AD.
Her name is Dr. Nicki Webber Moore.
 #14362  by Affirm
 Thu May 30, 2019 9:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
“The one at NC State” was already succeeded by the man who MB is succeeding at Army.
I do not see any reason to not take another look at Janet Cone of UNCA. Just because UNCA does not have football? I think that Furman alumna Janet Cone is a good prospect we should consider again.
Fessor liked this
 #14363  by Affirm
 Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
“The one at NC State” was already succeeded by the man who MB is succeeding at Army.
I do not see any reason to not take another look at Janet Cone of UNCA. Just because UNCA does not have football?
I think that Furman alumna Janet Cone is a good prospect we should consider again.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.