• Put up or Shut up

#14277  by apaladin
 Sun May 26, 2019 11:36 am
Sorry, not what I was saying. Used to a D1 school could compete in DIII football. Now they have to play at the D1 level(FCS). They didn't have to do anything different such as add scholarships, all that really changed was the label.
Division one schools have to compete in all sports at the D1 level. They cannot play down. Does not apply to D2 and D3 as they can play up in a couple of sports under certain circumstances. This may help clarify especially the last paragraph:

Schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women, with at least two team sports for each gender.[4][5] Teams that include both men and women are counted as men's sports for the purposes of sponsorship counting.[4] Division I schools must meet minimum financial aid awards for their athletics program, and there are maximum financial aid awards for each sport that a Division I school cannot exceed.[6] Several other NCAA sanctioned minimums and differences distinguish Division I from Divisions II and III.[5] Members must sponsor at least one sport (not necessarily a team sport though) for each sex in each playing season (fall, winter, spring), again with coeducational teams counted as men's teams for this purpose.[7] There are contest and participant minimums for each sport, as well as scheduling criteria. For sports other than football and basketball, Division I schools must play 100 percent of the minimum number of contests against Division I opponents—anything over the minimum number of games has to be 50 percent Division I. Men's and women's basketball teams have to play all but two games against Division I teams; for men, they must play one-third of all their contests in the home arena.[8]

In addition to the schools that compete fully as D-I institutions, the NCAA allows D-II and D-III schools to classify one men's and one women's sport (other than football or basketball) as a D-I sport, as long as they sponsored those sports before the latest rules change in 2011.[9] Also, Division II schools are eligible to compete for Division I national championships in sports that do not have a Division II national championship, and in those sports may also operate under D-I rules and scholarship limits.[10]
Affirm liked this
 #14308  by Bootie
 Tue May 28, 2019 11:09 am
FU3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:51 pm
Bootie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm
I wouldn't miss lacrosse if it was gone.
Well that should settle it then.
If only I was that powerful.

Not sure what your getting at with your reply, FU3. I'm allowed to have an opinion, right? Just sharing.
 #14309  by Bootie
 Tue May 28, 2019 11:15 am
Jasper wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Bootie wrote:
May I ask if you know the game at all or have watched some games? The reason I am asking is that I think the "rollout" for the lax program here at Furman was terrible.
Sure... I've never watched a game. I might've seen a cumulative total of 5 minutes of lacrosse in my life. I'm not trying to disparage the game or those who do enjoy it, I'm just sharing my opinion on how interested I am in it.
 #14317  by Jasper
 Wed May 29, 2019 1:02 pm
Bootie wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:15 am
Jasper wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Bootie wrote:
May I ask if you know the game at all or have watched some games? The reason I am asking is that I think the "rollout" for the lax program here at Furman was terrible.

Sure... I've never watched a game. I might've seen a cumulative total of 5 minutes of lacrosse in my life. I'm not trying to disparage the game or those who do enjoy it, I'm just sharing my opinion on how interested I am in it.
And that is your prerogative by all means. Thank you for your honest response. It is what I thought it would be.
 #14379  by JohnKX512
 Fri May 31, 2019 4:31 pm
This may seem odd to everyone, but the NCAA Lacrosse championship is the largest attended NCAA sport outside of football. Just because LAX is new here and is new to us, doesn't mean it isn't high profile. It offers a sport that Furman can compete in and is just as relative as all sports. (Seventh in attendance, only behind football and basketball, I also included the FCS championship attendance this year....)

Title............................................. Year.........................................Attendance
Big 12 Champ..............................2018........................................83114
SEC Championship.....................2018........................................77141
College Playoff ......................... 2019.......................................74814
NCAA Basketball Champ.............2019.......................................72062
ACC Championship......................2018.......................................67784
Big Ten Champ.............................2018........................................ 66375
NCAA Lacrosse Champ..............2019.........................................31528

FCS Championship....................2019.........................................17802

Just putting numbers and information together for y'all!
 #14393  by paladinfan12
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:31 am
JohnKX512 wrote:
This may seem odd to everyone, but the NCAA Lacrosse championship is the largest attended NCAA sport outside of football. Just because LAX is new here and is new to us, doesn't mean it isn't high profile. It offers a sport that Furman can compete in and is just as relative as all sports. (Seventh in attendance, only behind football and basketball, I also included the FCS championship attendance this year....)

Title............................................. Year.........................................Attendance
Big 12 Champ..............................2018........................................83114
SEC Championship.....................2018........................................77141
College Playoff ......................... 2019.......................................74814
NCAA Basketball Champ.............2019.......................................72062
ACC Championship......................2018.......................................67784
Big Ten Champ.............................2018........................................ 66375
NCAA Lacrosse Champ..............2019.........................................31528

FCS Championship....................2019.........................................17802

I totally agree Lax is a great investment to raise publicity. I just wish we were better at it.
 #14396  by JohnW
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:17 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:

Need to include the TV audience.
Fessor liked this
 #14418  by fufanatic
 Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:31 am
JohnKX512 wrote:

I totally agree Lax is a great investment to raise publicity. I just wish we were better at it.
Same. I really thought when we started the program with a name coach that we could make national moves pretty quickly. Smaller schools and academically-minded ones have found success and championships in lacrosse. When we signed on there weren't a crazy amount of schools playing the sport. Now it's grown by leaps and bounds. Our time to make a quick splash are over. It's going to be a long process now and I hope one day we can get there. No one wants to admit it because it's depressing, but men's lacrosse absolutely gets more coverage on ESPN than FCS football does. And it's not even close. We would be getting a lot of national exposure if we were a top 15 lacrosse team.
Affirm, Jasper liked this
 #14426  by JohnKX512
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:03 am
JohnW wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:17 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:

Need to include the TV audience.
FCS this year:
Saturday’s North Dakota State-Eastern Washington FCS college football championship had a 0.6 rating and 1.00 million viewers on ESPN2, down 40% in ratings and 34% in viewership from last year (NDSU-James Madison: 1.0, 1.52M) and down a third and 36% respectively from 2017 (JMU-Youngstown State: 0.9, 1.56M).

It was the least-watched FCS title game since at least 2012.

Mens Lacrosse Championship:
The two-game average for the men's NCAA Semifinals increased 20% year-over-year. The first game, featuring No. 2-seed Duke vs. No. 3-seed Virginia, garnered a viewership number of 190,000 on ESPN2, while the second game, pitting No. 1-seed Penn State vs. No.5-seed Yale, drew 218,000 viewers.

Virginia's 13-9 championship game win over Yale drew an audience of 296,000 viewers on ESPN2, a similar number to last year.

Maryland's title game win over Boston College was an even bigger success story, drawing 109,000 viewers on ESPNU, up nearly 50% from 2018. The NCAA Semifinals were originally scheduled to be digital only, but were added to ESPNews's programming and BC's dramatic win over North Carolina drew 49,000 viewers, while Maryland's victory over Northwestern drew 52,000 viewers
 #14427  by gman
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am
Assuming this thread is still about basketball, I’m hearing plans have been approved for a new practice facility and for improvements to Timmons. All that’s needed now is $12,000,000 to get the work done.
MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #14429  by fufanatic
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm
gman wrote:
Assuming this thread is still about basketball, I’m hearing plans have been approved for a new practice facility and for improvements to Timmons. All that’s needed now is $12,000,000 to get the work done.
If I can ever win the lottery, consider it done.
 #14433  by furpop16
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:22 pm
gman wrote:
Can you provide any specifics (in addition to the practice facility)? Are you serious that the improvements amount to $12M, or are you joshing?
 #14436  by Top25
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 pm
that would b amazing news. If BR can pull that off, forget about coaching bball, he should be a commish somewhere. Now to the plans, hate to be a Debbie doubter but …

there were plans to
1. build a new track facility
2. build a baseball press box
3. build a new golf complex
4. build a lax facility
5. expand the tennis facility

and all that put together was a lot less than 12M. I hope its true just sayin....