• Clemson v. Furman in 2025

#1419  by soconjohn
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 am
I don't mind playing Patriot League teams...Give me a game with Holy Cross...Want to destroy them just like Furman did Colgate...At least the Patriot competes in the FCS playoffs...There's a reason why Ivies don't...They would be about as competitive as the SWAC and MEAC have been in the past.
 #1420  by Jasper
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:55 am
soconjohn wrote:
I don't mind playing Patriot League teams...Give me a game with Holy Cross...Want to destroy them just like Furman did Colgate...At least the Patriot competes in the FCS playoffs...There's a reason why Ivies don't...They would be about as competitive as the SWAC and MEAC have been in the past.
The problem with a home and home with the Cross is where they are. Ever been to Worcester, Mass.? It aint NYC or DC. ;)
 #1421  by Fessor
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:13 pm
Jasper wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:55 am
soconjohn wrote:
The problem with a home and home with the Cross is where they are. Ever been to Worcester, Mass.? It aint NYC or DC. ;)
Doubt you're going to make any money, but it would be a great experience for the kids and would pick up some Northeast FCS poll votes. Stay on 128 - go into the city for a day and dinner - and then bus out to Wooster on game day. Better yet, schedule a game with BC. You might actually win and get paid to do it.

Between travel and accommodations, big money loser but it ain't always about the money.
 #1422  by Flagman
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:57 pm
I just looked at the Holy Cross football stadium on Google maps. Their stands are just 30yards wide and only on one side. It certainly would not be a money game.
 #1425  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:14 pm
soconjohn wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:38 am
Furman needs to challenge itself as a football program...Playing a bunch of Ivy League programs is not to the way to do it...I would rather play two FBS programs--one power five and the the other from a group of Five than play an Ivy.
Yale finished in the Top 25 in the FCS Coaches Poll & the STATS FCS Top 25 in 2017. They finished #8 in the Simple Ranking System. No Patriot League Team finished in the Top 25 in the polls. I believe Holy Cross was the highest ranked PL Team using the SRS. They were #73.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but those that vote & rank, do.
 #1426  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 pm
As for Duke, Wake and Vandy, I doubt they would pay very much. We did play Vandy some 15 years ago. Duke likes to keep their FCS games in state for the most part. Their schedule is/was littered with NC Central and NC A&T and maybe Elon once.
 #1433  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 am
apaladin wrote:
As for Duke, Wake and Vandy, I doubt they would pay very much. We did play Vandy some 15 years ago. Duke likes to keep their FCS games in state for the most part. Their schedule is/was littered with NC Central and NC A&T and maybe Elon once.
Let's never mention the 2002 Vanderbilt game again ... a really good Furman team coming off the national title letdown faces off against the very coach that led them to said national title game. A recipe for disaster and a real butt kicking. I believe the university bused the freshmen that year to the game. I'm sure that could have been more fun.
 #1434  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 am
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 am
apaladin wrote:
Let's never mention the 2002 Vanderbilt game again ... a really good Furman team coming off the national title letdown faces off against the very coach that led them to said national title game. A recipe for disaster and a real butt kicking. I believe the university bused the freshmen that year to the game. I'm sure that could have been more fun.
They did. Jackal and I were on those buses. That was hard to watch. Still a cool experience though.
fufanatic liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.