• Coach Johnson on Gurley and Slawson

#14158  by DungeonRealm
 Sun May 19, 2019 2:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:38 am
Does this mean Gurley is moving to the post?
Most likely, seems Mounce, Slawson, Gurley are primed to be starting front line
Slawson and Gurley will probably be interchangeable at the 4 and 5 spots I would think
 #14159  by CharlieFU
 Sun May 19, 2019 2:26 pm
If Pugh and Bothwell make good progress and Clark gets more consistent, we could be pretty good.

Interested to see which of the freshmen have an impact. I’m guessing Kenney is the likeliest one.
 #14162  by apaladin
 Sun May 19, 2019 8:20 pm
NCPaladin22 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:59 pm
Gurley played the post all year for us...started at the 4 and backed up Rafferty at the 5.
That may be a little over simplification. Rafferty had only 239 minutes when he was not on the court including OT games. Williams and Slawson had 245 minutes between them so if Gurley played the post it wasn't much. Regardless who played the post we struggled to score when MR was not in the game so there is a lot of work to do. Lot's of minutes, points, rebounds, assists and steals to replace besides the things you can't measure.
Fessor, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #14163  by DungeonRealm
 Sun May 19, 2019 11:07 pm
There is no question at this point we will need one of the 2 freshmen bigs (Lawrence or Beeker) to step in and contribute efficient basketball early on for us even if off the bench
 #14168  by Paul C
 Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:20 pm
Regardless who played the post we struggled to score when MR was not in the game so there is a lot of work to do. Lot's of minutes, points, rebounds, assists and steals to replace besides the things you can't measure.
There is no question that the parts of the offense that were emphasized this year involved using Matt's unique skills, and we struggled when he was out.

What I expect next year is that our same basic offense will be tweaked to more resemble '16-'17 when Rafferty basically missed the whole year and we had no interior scoring or passing presence (Acox)and the offense was more G oriented.

Also expect us to find ways to use Gurley's skills...his quick first step and shooting ability give him some interesting matchup advantages.
 #14172  by edwards555
 Mon May 20, 2019 1:03 pm
I think we will be fine on offense. Need to coach up the bigs to defend the basket without committing excessive fouls. From memory believed Gurley and Slaussson led the team or were close to leading the team in fouls per minute last year. Their development in this area imo will be the key to success. Excited to see their progress!
 #14180  by paladinfan12
 Mon May 20, 2019 10:33 pm
I think the team is a little more equipped with an inside presence compared to 16-17. We have 3 skilled players (Mounce, Gurley, Slawson) down low compared to 1 (Acox) in 16-17. None of them are true centers, but it'll be nice to not be so reliant on one player for the entire offense.