• Home Game Times Announced

#14127  by apaladin
 Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 pm
Sir William wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm
We are on Point’s schedule. Listed as an exhibition game. That’s another way of them saying “we gotta get paid.” Good move for them, IMO.
Amazing what one email will do, lol. May be the first "exhibition" game ever played at the end of the season.
 #14131  by MNORM
 Fri May 17, 2019 8:09 am
Just so I'm clear on this...
The game will be an exhibition for Point (because of NAIA rule restrictions), but will be an "official" game for us?
 #14132  by The Jackal
 Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 am
MNORM wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:09 am
Just so I'm clear on this...
The game will be an exhibition for Point (because of NAIA rule restrictions), but will be an "official" game for us?
I'm not smart enough to figure all of this out. I guess the two schools are governed by different organizations.
 #14133  by apaladin
 Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 am
Yes it will count for FU but not for Point. We had the same situation in basketball. I think it was NGU or Southern Wesleyan where they called it an exhibition and FU counted it as a W.
 #14134  by gman
 Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 am
apaladin wrote:
Yes it will count for FU but not for Point. We had the same situation in basketball. I think it was NGU or Southern Wesleyan where they called it an exhibition and FU counted it as a W.
We did not count any exhibition game in basketball as a win. We shouldn’t in football either. The only point in playing Point in football is to get a home game, in front of 2,500 fans. We are not playing the game to get into the playoffs.
 #14135  by Paul C
 Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
We did not count any exhibition game in basketball as a win. We shouldn’t in football either. The only point in playing Point in football is to get a home game, in front of 2,500 fans. We are not playing the game to get into the playoffs.
I would have agreed with you until last year....
 #14141  by The Jackal
 Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It's not an exhibition.
 #14142  by gman
 Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It's not an exhibition.
Scrimmage?
Flagman liked this
 #14148  by The Jackal
 Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 am
gman wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It's not an exhibition.
Scrimmage?
The game is at Furman. It counts. Point plays under a different governing body and it can call it what it wants. Under the NCAA rules, this appears to be a normal home game.
 #14149  by apaladin
 Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Like I said we counted the games against Southern Wesleyan and NGU and they did not. We played those 2 games on Nov. 15th and Nov. 22nd last year and they are not even listed on their last years schedule.

http://www.nguathletics.com/mbasketball/schedule/

https://www.swuathletics.com/sports/mbk ... 9/schedule
 #14153  by gofurman
 Sat May 18, 2019 5:55 pm
Paul C wrote:
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Nailed it. Never forget 2018. Also them Germans and Pearl Harbor ...
 #14160  by ccoates
 Sun May 19, 2019 5:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:

And them ETSU Buccaneers. Ambush City.
 #14164  by The Jackal
 Mon May 20, 2019 5:14 am
ccoates wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Furman missed the post season, but it really had nothing to do with whether we scheduled a win over an NAIA team. It had far more to do with surrendering a three-touchdown lead in Johnson City.

We deserved to be in the post season, but opted to leave it up to the committee instead of handling our business. Someone gets screwed every year by leaving their fate to the committee.
 #14166  by paladinfan12
 Mon May 20, 2019 8:10 am
The canceled game against Colgate cost us last year. if you win that game you're in. If you win the game at ETSU you're in too.

The game against Point U will help with our record. A better record may help fractionally with national polling, and being slightly higher in national polling will help us with getting into the playoffs..... But don't try to confuse this Point game with the Colgate or Charleston Southern game. One is a a clear non-conference foe, the other is a way for Furman to make a little extra money.
 #14167  by fufanatic
 Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:14 am
ccoates wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
gman wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Furman missed the post season, but it really had nothing to do with whether we scheduled a win over an NAIA team. It had far more to do with surrendering a three-touchdown lead in Johnson City.

We deserved to be in the post season, but opted to leave it up to the committee instead of handling our business. Someone gets screwed every year by leaving their fate to the committee.
I don't think Furman gets in last year with a 7-4 record with a win over an NAIA team because the committee clearly hated us since we weren't even listed among the last few out. But we have got to stop forgetting Lamar in all of this. Only non-conference win was over an NAIA team. Was 1-4 before winning 6 straight conference games to finish 7-4. They got in. So the precedent has been set that if Furman loses its two FBS games, dropped two more to SoCon teams and finished year at 8-4 with a win over Point, that the Paladins should be deserving of a spot in a non-impressive year across FCS.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.