• Home Game Times Announced

#14082  by MNORM
 Mon May 13, 2019 8:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:35 pm
I believe the 23rd of November is also the second week of the NAIA playoffs.
So....in theory, this game could end up not happening?
 #14086  by apaladin
 Mon May 13, 2019 9:23 am
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Dunno, but it looks like this is a possibility. Of course they could decline an invite to the playoffs as the Furman game would prolly pay them some money where I doubt they are going to see any from the playoffs. I don't know how they are going to get around scheduling a 12th game though.
 #14088  by gofurman
 Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 am
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
We NEEED this game. after last year this concerns me. I would think most would agree. Is anyone SURE we are playing this game. Just odd it's not on POINTs schedule !
 #14094  by The Jackal
 Tue May 14, 2019 7:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm
Just an FYI, Point opens with Kennesaw St on August 31st. Kennesaw St also has Reinhart on their home schedule so we are not the only team struggling to find games. FWIW Point does not have the Furman game on their schedule. They have 11 games listed. Just wondering if NAIA are allowed 12 games?
Kennesaw State's schedule is laughable.
 #14095  by MNORM
 Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 am
According to the NAIA rules I found online, Varsity Football players are restricted to playing in 11 games in a single season. The November 23rd game vs Furman would be Point's 12th game scheduled for the 24 week athletic period. This, in addition to Furman not showing up on Point's official online schedule, is concerning. Hopefully someone will provide clarification.
 #14104  by gofurman
 Wed May 15, 2019 3:31 pm
According to the NAIA rules I found online, Varsity Football players are restricted to playing in 11 games in a single season. The November 23rd game vs Furman would be Point's 12th game scheduled for the 24 week athletic period. This, in addition to Furman not showing up on Point's official online schedule, is concerning. Hopefully someone will provide clarification.\
----------------------------------------------

This just became the most important game of the year. We NEED this game or it puts undue pressure on us like the debacle last year !!

Can anyone CONFIRM we are actually playing Point?
That would be horrible to have this scheduled only to realize it can't happen. that would be a big black eye on FU (and Point) if we didn't know the rules and it cost us a game. You would think Point would know their own rules
 #14105  by gman
 Wed May 15, 2019 5:09 pm
If the game is not played, will season ticket holders receive a refund, or like last year, receive an extra ticket to one of the other home games?
 #14106  by gman
 Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pm
gofurman wrote:
According to the NAIA rules I found online, Varsity Football players are restricted to playing in 11 games in a single season. The November 23rd game vs Furman would be Point's 12th game scheduled for the 24 week athletic period. This, in addition to Furman not showing up on Point's official online schedule, is concerning. Hopefully someone will provide clarification.\

This just became the most important game of the year. We NEED this game or it puts undue pressure on us like the debacle last year !!

That would be horrible to have this scheduled only to realize it can't happen. that would be a big black eye on FU (and Point) if we didn't know the rules and it cost us a game. You would think Point would know their own rules
We don't deserve a bid If we need a win against an NAIA school to make the playoffs.
 #14107  by The Jackal
 Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 pm
gofurman wrote:

(1) We don't need the game. We'd like 6 home games after having only 4 last season. If we aren't in a playoff spot before playing point, I don't think it is going to matter whether we play the game or not.

(2) Let's get the facts before everyone starts jumping to conclusions.
 #14112  by fufanatic
 Thu May 16, 2019 11:21 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

(1) If we aren't in a playoff spot before playing point, I don't think it is going to matter whether we play the game or not.
Counter point. There were teams just this year that got into the playoffs thanks to wins over powerhouse programs like Point. See Lamar with their convincing win over NAIA Kentucky Christian to open the year and pave the way for a 7-win team to make it over a 6-win Furman squad.
MNORM liked this
 #14116  by The Jackal
 Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 pm
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

(1) If we aren't in a playoff spot before playing point, I don't think it is going to matter whether we play the game or not.
Counter point. There were teams just this year that got into the playoffs thanks to wins over powerhouse programs like Point. See Lamar with their convincing win over NAIA Kentucky Christian to open the year and pave the way for a 7-win team to make it over a 6-win Furman squad.
Maybe.

Lamar likely made the post season on the strength of their 3 top 25 wins the last half of the year (Furman had 1 top 25 win total), not their win over Kentucky Christian. Remember, UIW, who was 6-5, was also selected over Furman. Lamar arguably had a better resume than Furman regardless of whether they played Kentucky Christian.

We'll make the post season based on what we do before the Point game. If we don't handle our business to the point where we need to beat an NAIA team to make the post season, we probably don't deserve to be one of the final teams standing.

I should note that I'm also a proponent of putting the playoffs back at 16 teams so 6 win teams are a nonstarter and 7 win teams are a rarity. If you can't win more than 6 games, why should you play for a national title?
 #14119  by apaladin
 Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 pm
In the past 7 win teams were very rare and 6 win teams unheard of. This has changed and it is a great help when the commissioner of a conference is also the selection committee chairman, thus 7 win Lamar and 6 win UIW get in from a one bid league. Pretty simple politics.
 #14122  by fufanatic
 Thu May 16, 2019 5:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 pm
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Maybe.

Lamar likely made the post season on the strength of their 3 top 25 wins the last half of the year (Furman had 1 top 25 win total), not their win over Kentucky Christian. Remember, UIW, who was 6-5, was also selected over Furman. Lamar arguably had a better resume than Furman regardless of whether they played Kentucky Christian.

We'll make the post season based on what we do before the Point game. If we don't handle our business to the point where we need to beat an NAIA team to make the post season, we probably don't deserve to be one of the final teams standing.

I should note that I'm also a proponent of putting the playoffs back at 16 teams so 6 win teams are a nonstarter and 7 win teams are a rarity. If you can't win more than 6 games, why should you play for a national title?
Oh I agree with much of that. Especially the part of going back to 16 teams and that a win over an NAIA team should mean zero. You'll never convince me that any team from the Southland had a better resume than Furman last year, however.
 #14126  by Sir William
 Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm
We are on Point’s schedule. Listed as an exhibition game. That’s another way of them saying “we gotta get paid.” Good move for them, IMO.

By the time we meet them, we should already be SoCon champs with autobid in hand. I say we rest our starters and key reserves, and start our our boys who haven’t seen a lot of playing time during year.

And, no - I’m not dissing Point. Nonetheless, please don’t bring up Newberry circa 1985; I’m eating dinner and don’t want to throw up.
MNORM, fufanatic liked this