#13963  by DungeonRealm
 Mon May 06, 2019 12:32 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:53 am
An injury to a starting 5 player and major contributor would be detrimental to any team.

People on this thread have mentioned redshirting one of the incoming freshman post players. Why call for a redshirt while also saying we need depth at the post?

CBR said it best when discussing position-less ball. We just need the best players on the court. Whether that is a 7 footer or 5'11 Jordan Lyons. Just my 2 cents
If we don't sign another player for this upcoming season we will have only 10 scholarship players so I doubt anyone redshirts with the possible exception of the walk-on. It is getting very late so with each passing day so the chances of another quality signee diminishes. I'm a little bit surprised that we did not get at least one of our targeted players.

It's 11, and one of the freshmen guards could easily redshirt, unless forced out of it by injury.

My guess is that playing time is an issue for higher-quality recruits this year, because the Paladins have multiple starters in the Junior and Sophomore classes. With respect to guards/wings, it was probably an uphill battle when other strong mid-majors were also involved.

The other thing is that the majority of good recruits commit in the early signing period. So at this point, it's hit or miss regarding who is available.

I don't disagree that the results appear somewhat underwhelming, but I think some people may have had unrealistic expectations.

True, we are Top 25 program so I was expecting a couple blue chips to come calling :D

Hopefully the 11 plus Beeker can get the job done next season assuming we stand pat at this point

Then maybe sign 3 studs for the 2020 class
 #13964  by fufanatic
 Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:53 am
An injury to a starting 5 player and major contributor would be detrimental to any team.

People on this thread have mentioned redshirting one of the incoming freshman post players. Why call for a redshirt while also saying we need depth at the post?

CBR said it best when discussing position-less ball. We just need the best players on the court. Whether that is a 7 footer or 5'11 Jordan Lyons. Just my 2 cents
If we don't sign another player for this upcoming season we will have only 10 scholarship players so I doubt anyone redshirts with the possible exception of the walk-on. It is getting very late so with each passing day so the chances of another quality signee diminishes. I'm a little bit surprised that we did not get at least one of our targeted players.

It's 11, and one of the freshmen guards could easily redshirt, unless forced out of it by injury.

My guess is that playing time is an issue for higher-quality recruits this year, because the Paladins have multiple starters in the Junior and Sophomore classes. With respect to guards/wings, it was probably an uphill battle when other strong mid-majors were also involved.

The other thing is that the majority of good recruits commit in the early signing period. So at this point, it's hit or miss regarding who is available.

I don't disagree that the results appear somewhat underwhelming, but I think some people may have had unrealistic expectations.
The fact that we are now recruiting in a different pool than a few years ago is a good thing. If we lose a couple of guys to the Wichitas, Davidsons, Libertys of the world, I can live with it, compared to signing guys that no one really wants.
 #13968  by CharlieFU
 Mon May 06, 2019 4:22 pm
We have a history since Niko and Bob came of signing players in the Spring who end up being good players. If we miss it this year, no big deal.
Fessor liked this
 #13970  by PaladinPower
 Mon May 06, 2019 5:52 pm
Furman recruit Zane Meeks has committed to Nevada per his twitter.

UNCG picks up 6'10 PF Bas Leyte from the Netherlands.
 #13971  by DungeonRealm
 Mon May 06, 2019 7:34 pm
We know we have a really good basketball program now and a great coach as well
We know FU academics are excellent
We know the campus is beautiful and Greenville is a very good smaller but nice city

With that said I think we can all agree something that will continue to hold us back from landing some of these prospects is our home court facility
furpop16, bj93 liked this
 #13972  by Flagman
 Mon May 06, 2019 7:51 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
We know the campus is beautiful and Greenville is a very good smaller but nice city

With that said I think we can all agree something that will continue to hold us back from landing some of these prospects is our home court facility
And the fact that we won't change spring break to alleviate DungeonRealm's fixation.
paladinfan12 liked this
 #13973  by FUBeAR
 Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Flagman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

And the fact that we won't change spring break to alleviate DungeonRealm's fixation.
I’d say “crusade” is more apt...other than the non-PC association that the word crusade has ascribed to it these days.

FUBeAR, an occasional zealot, is a fan of a good old-fashioned, earnest crusade; the non-violent kind.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #13974  by DungeonRealm
 Mon May 06, 2019 10:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm
Flagman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

I’d say “crusade” is more apt...other than the non-PC association that the word crusade has ascribed to it these days.

FUBeAR, an occasional zealot, is a fan of a good old -fashioned, earnest crusade; the non-violent kind.

FUBeAR liked this
 #13977  by tya1
 Tue May 07, 2019 12:34 am
Spencer Jones, the 6'7" forward from Kansas, picked up an offer from Stanford on his visit there this weekend. Stanford is over the scholarship limit now. They would have to lose two current players to make room for Jones. There is the possibility they try to have him reclassify to 2020 and go to a prep school next season.
 #14012  by tya1
 Thu May 09, 2019 1:14 am
Marcus Domask picked Southern illinois.
 #14014  by DungeonRealm
 Thu May 09, 2019 1:47 am
tya1 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:34 am
Spencer Jones, the 6'7" forward from Kansas, picked up an offer from Stanford on his visit there this weekend. Stanford is over the scholarship limit now. They would have to lose two current players to make room for Jones. There is the possibility they try to have him reclassify to 2020 and go to a prep school next season.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/spencer-jones-ks

Wonder what kind of shot we have at landing him??
 #14113  by JohnW
 Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 am
According to a tweet from some recruiting guy Furman is one of the many schools to contact recent Mississippi de-commit Rodney Howard, 6-9 230 PF, who played at Legacy Early College in Greenville.
 #14114  by apaladin
 Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm
JohnW wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 am
According to a tweet from some recruiting guy Furman is one of the many schools to contact recent Mississippi de-commit Rodney Howard, 6-9 230 PF, who played at Legacy Early College in Greenville.
I have lived in Greenville practically all my life and grew up not too far from this Legacy school and had never heard of it until the Greenville Triumph started playing games there. I think it is somewhere in the West Greenville/Woodside area. It's looking more and more like we won't sign anyone else this year. Summer is already here.
 #14115  by Paul C
 Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm
Yep, looks like unless something unpredictable happens we are going into next year w 11 scholarship players.

But we have plenty of depth and allows more flexibility in next years class as Lyons is the only Sr.

Sr - 1 (Lyons)
Jr - 3 (Clark, Mounce, Hunter)
So - 3 (Gurley, Slawson, Bothwell, Pugh)
Fr - 3 (Kenney, Foster, Lawrence)

Also high level w/o Ben Beeker will be a Fr
Last edited by Paul C on Thu May 16, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #14117  by PaladinPower
 Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm
Yep, looks like unless something unpredictable happens we are going into next year w 11 scholarship players.

But we have plenty of depth and allows more flexibility in next years class as Lyons is the only Sr.

Sr - 1 (Lyons)
Jr - 3 (Clark, Mounce, Hunter)
So - 3 (Gurley, Bothwell, Pugh)
Fr - 3 (Kenney, Foster, Lawrence)

Also high level w/o Ben Beeker will be a Fr
Don't forget Slawson!!! Looking for him to make a big impact next season.