Fessor wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:48 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:01 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:05 pm
Zac Ervin commits to Elon.
Been a really rough offseason in wofford land :D
Furman benefits from a strong Southern Conference and meaningful competitive rivalries.

I also don't want FU to be the SoCon NCAA tourney bid recipient by default.
After almost 40 years, I'm certainly not putting conditions on how I *want* us to get an NCAA tourney bid!!
FUBeAR, fufanatic and 1 others liked this
 #13947  by Fessor
 Sun May 05, 2019 7:45 pm
din23 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:09 pm
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Furman benefits from a strong Southern Conference and meaningful competitive rivalries.

After almost 40 years, I'm certainly not putting conditions on how I *want* us to get an NCAA tourney bid!!
I am. Having Wofford and ETSU be greatly diminished in basketball is like having Ga Southern and App leave the conference in football. Sure you won the conference without them around, but what did you win?

Does being football tri-champion of a nine team, weak Southern Conference feel like a conference title in the 80's or even the 90's when the competition was strong? I don't think so. Sure, you can hang a banner and call yourself champion (and even give out rings, I suppose), but it's not the same.

A strong Southern Conference with high-level play and competitive rivalries is in Furman's best interest. Wofford getting gutted isn't a good thing.
 #13949  by DungeonRealm
 Sun May 05, 2019 11:49 pm
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

I am all in for the team that just won 30 games getting weaker
Davemeister liked this
 #13952  by din23
 Mon May 06, 2019 12:59 am
Fessor wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:45 pm
din23 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:09 pm
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

I am. Having Wofford and ETSU be greatly diminished in basketball is like having Ga Southern and App leave the conference in football. Sure you won the conference without them around, but what did you win?

Does being football tri-champion of a nine team, weak Southern Conference feel like a conference title in the 80's or even the 90's when the competition was strong? I don't think so. Sure, you can hang a banner and call yourself champion (and even give out rings, I suppose), but it's not the same.

A strong Southern Conference with high-level play and competitive rivalries is in Furman's best interest. Wofford getting gutted isn't a good thing.
Think what you want. We cannot control the relative strength of the league in any given year so our two options are earn a ring or don't. I vote for option 1.

Many people thought the SoCon was doomed to very low status forever when CofC and Davidson left. And then last year proved that other schools will fill the vacuum left from those departures.
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #13954  by Fessor
 Mon May 06, 2019 7:47 am
din23 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:59 am
Think what you want. We cannot control the relative strength of the league in any given year so our two options are earn a ring or don't. I vote for option 1.

Many people thought the SoCon was doomed to very low status forever when CofC and Davidson left. And then last year proved that other schools will fill the vacuum left from those departures.
I was addressing the apparent happiness that WC's program was losing coaches, recruits, and players.
 #13955  by tim
 Mon May 06, 2019 9:44 am
I see the value of a strong SOCON in basketball for the first time in my life, with all the at large possibilities coming our way this year.There was a time when I would revel at other schools losing good players, things like NETs and Pomeroys didn't matter Furman was so bad. The SOCON needs a strong Woffy and Furman. I think the ETSU program is flaming out though. Keeping good players will be the challenge ahead.
 #13957  by apaladin
 Mon May 06, 2019 10:06 am
This past season was a very rare occasion, unheard of really. The chances of the SoCon maintaining that are almost non-existent. Having 4 25 plus win teams will likely never happen again. Hopefully the SoCon can maintain a higher than normal standard though.
 #13969  by CharlieFU
 Mon May 06, 2019 4:25 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:06 am
This past season was a very rare occasion, unheard of really. The chances of the SoCon maintaining that are almost non-existent. Having 4 25 plus win teams will likely never happen again. Hopefully the SoCon can maintain a higher than normal standard though.
Apaladin has been so positive lately that I had become worried for him. I am pleased to see that he has returned to his rightful place among the "nattering nabobs of negativity."
 #13976  by tya1
 Mon May 06, 2019 11:50 pm
ETSU's Mladen Armas will transfer to Boise State. That's an odd choice. Armas was a starter and averaged 8 ppg and 8 rpg as a sophomore at ETSU. He is leaving ETSU which has averaged 25 wins a year since Forbes got there to transfer to a team that was 13-20 this year. They did win 23 the year before and made the NCAA tournament as recently as 2015 - at best a lateral move.

--------------------

A guy on Wofford's message board suggested that Bob Richey is considering former Wofford player and four year assistant coach Tim Johnson for the Paladins' open assistant coaching job. Johnson is currently an assistant at James Madison.
 #13987  by tya1
 Tue May 07, 2019 11:10 pm
Chattanooga transfer Duane Moss is headed to Campbell. He was a player the Paladins recruited back in high school. Moss picked Youngstown State originally but changed to Chattanooga after a coaching change. He has had constant injury problems since high school.
PaladinPower wrote:
ETSU's Jeromy Rodriguez plans to return to ETSU and not go pro.

Wow, that's a shock. Figured he would be a first rounder!
Big boost for ETSU. He lead the SoCon in rebounding and was 8th in the NCAA.
 #14051  by tya1
 Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 pm
Former SoCon Freshman of the Year Preston Parks is returning to the conference. He will transfer from UT-Martin to Samford. Of course, the Greenville Wade Hampton HS graduate started his college career at The Citadel.

I am sure the Bulldog fans will give him a big cheer when he returns to Charleston.
 #14058  by MNORM
 Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 am
tya1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 pm
Former SoCon Freshman of the Year Preston Parks is returning to the conference. He will transfer from UT-Martin to Samford. Of course, the Greenville Wade Hampton HS graduate started his college career at The Citadel.

I am sure the Bulldog fans will give him a big cheer when he returns to Charleston.
...all 200 of them. ;)