• Clemson v. Furman in 2025

#1389  by Flagman
 Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:03 am
I'm sure the pay isn't as good, but it sure would be fun in the years where we can play two FBS games, to travel to a MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, etc. team to try to pick up a win. I love that we have the Georgia State game on the books for 2019. Hopefully that sort of thing will happen more often. Would also love some West Coast or Midwest travel to big opponents. How much fun would a trip to Wisconsin or Arizona be?
I've been to Wisconsin. Keep it. Arizpna might be nice. Been there, also. Play-off game with N. Arizona. Sun Belt? Really? Any of the others might be OK as long as it's not with Marsha.
FU69 liked this
 #1390  by paladinfan12
 Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:19 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:19 pm
gman wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:11 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 am
gman wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:27 am
The shamecocks have been ripping us off for years. I don’t care if we ever play down there again. And, it’s a terrible environment for families.
I feel like all of us are like broked records on here.

The Gamecocks do not pay as well as other schools, but the reason our payout was so much less back in 2010 when we played them was because when the contract was signed while the NCAA rules stated FCS games do not count toward your 6 wins for bowl eligibility.

If South Carolina was willing to pay upwards of $400K for a game that the school could do in a day trip I think it would be a great game for 2023. This year South Carolina is paying Chattanooga $400K for their game.
Why should USC not pay as well as other schools? Why should they not pay at least as much as Clemson does?
Because under the previous athletic leadership, they could take advantage of us. It’s as much our fault as theirs.
Exactly. If we were willing to sell at fire sale prices, why should any school pay more for a game than they have to?
Man, throw Dr. Clark and under the bus a little harder why don't you. Furman doesn't have bargaining power in these games. They get paid the same as everyone else.
 #1397  by paladinfan12
 Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Or turn it down and don't get a money game at all. There are 124 FCS schools (114 without Pioneer League) and 65 Power 5 schools. I'm sure they can find someone who wants to play at their price.
 #1402  by AHB1188
 Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:16 pm
I found an article published in 2014 that speaks a bit to the earlier comments about the payout for an in-state FCS institution playing Clemson or South Carolina.

It may be of interest: [https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/p ... 3e.htmlurl]

In short, South Carolina wasn't paying quite as much to in-state FCS opponents in the period between 2007-14. It doesn't speak to the 2010 Furman-South Carolina game.

It does, however, state that Clemson would pay Furman $360,000 for the 2018 game. Obviously, that number has increased since it was published in 2014.
 #1403  by Affirm
 Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm
Based on distance, we should aim to get games against
Virginia
Va Tech
Wake Forest
Duke
NCSU
UNC
USC
CU
GT
UGA
Auburn
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
That's 15 teams. To my knowledge, in FCS era, there are about 5 of those we've never played, maybe more.
What is our scheduling philosophy
for these games?
What is the scheduling philosophy of these FBS oppononents in regard to whether or not they will contract to play us?
 #1404  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:14 pm
affirm wrote:
Virginia
Va Tech
Wake Forest
Duke
NCSU
UNC
USC
CU
GT
UGA
Auburn
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
That's 15 teams. To my knowledge, in FCS era, there are about 5 of those we've never played, maybe more.
for these games?
What is the scheduling philosophy of these FBS oppononents in regard to whether or not they will contract to play us?
For the next 8 years all of our FBS opponents are on your list with the exception of Ole Miss. We have one year 2023 that we need an FBS opponent. Both the ACC and SEC have said they will schedule FCS teams for the foreseeable future.
 #1407  by fufanatic
 Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 am
Flagman wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:03 am
I'm sure the pay isn't as good, but it sure would be fun in the years where we can play two FBS games, to travel to a MAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt, etc. team to try to pick up a win. I love that we have the Georgia State game on the books for 2019. Hopefully that sort of thing will happen more often. Would also love some West Coast or Midwest travel to big opponents. How much fun would a trip to Wisconsin or Arizona be?
I've been to Wisconsin. Keep it. Arizpna might be nice. Been there, also. Play-off game with N. Arizona. Sun Belt? Really? Any of the others might be OK as long as it's not with Marsha.
Suggested Sun Belt only with the thought that it could provide us with a real shot at an FBS victory. Certainly for those that would travel, there's not much going on with the Sun Belt schools with the exception of Atlanta for Georgia State and Myrtle Beach for Coastal. I'm sure some of the other towns are nice, just not easy to get to.
 #1408  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:14 pm
affirm wrote:
Virginia
Va Tech
Wake Forest
Duke
NCSU
UNC
USC
CU
GT
UGA
Auburn
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
for these games?
For the next 8 years all of our FBS opponents are on your list with the exception of Ole Miss. We have one year 2023 that we need an FBS opponent. Both the ACC and SEC have said they will schedule FCS teams for the foreseeable future.
Alabama, Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia, Duke have never been on our schedules during the FCS era. My questions, which you did not answer, would seek to get to why those 5 never have been. Also, to my knowledge, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest have not been on our schedules in a long time; and Tennessee is scheduled for the first time. So that 5+2+1=8 is a majority of my list of 15.
Note that Mercer, in their short time as a resurrected program, has already played Alabama and Georgia.
By the way, it's maybe just of interest, but Colgate, a school extremely similar to Furman and one of our home opponents this year, plays at Air Force next year, and Army this year. I previously stated that I'd like for us to play Air Force, if Clay would be OK with it. Of course I realize Air Force may not want to play us, and there may be scheduling conflicts, etc., but it still is of interest that the school from Hamilton, NY, is going out to Colorado Springs next year.
 #1409  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:55 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm
Note that Mercer, in their short time as a resurrected program, has already played Alabama and Georgia.
In the interest of accuracy...

Mercer has played...
2016 - @ Georgia Tech
2017 - @ Auburn & @ Alabama - I did hear a RUMOR that Georgia was originally scheduled in 2017, but backed out because they preferred to play Samford that weekend, which left Mercer free to fill the open slot on Auburn’s schedule.

Mercer is scheduled to play...
2018 - @ Memphis, @ Yale (FCS), and Jacksonville U. (FCS)
2019 - Campbell (FCS), @ UNC
2020 - @ Vanderbilt, @ Campbell (FCS)
2021 - Yale (FCS), @ Alabama
2022 - @ Yale
2023 - @ Ole Miss, Yale
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1413  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:39 pm
Thanks for that. Yale home and home is a great contract. I think a home and home contract with schools such as them, Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Georgetown would be of interest to certain SoCon teams. Congrats to Mercer on getting Yale. I suppose it's not to get a big payout, but for publicity and building interest in the program. (By the way, wasn't Yale Georgia's first Sanford Stadium opponent?)
 #1415  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 pm
affirm wrote:
Thanks for that. Yale home and home is a great contract. I think a home and home contract with schools such as them, Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Georgetown would be of interest to certain SoCon teams. Congrats to Mercer on getting Yale. I suppose it's not to get a big payout, but for publicity and building interest in the program. (By the way, wasn't Yale Georgia's first Sanford Stadium opponent?)
Sorry - the Yale/Mercer deal is actually 4 games. I corrected my original post. Overlooked those 2 latter games because definite dates have not been finalized/announced.
 #1416  by Affirm
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 pm
affirm wrote:
Sorry - the Yale/Mercer deal is actually 4 games. I corrected my original post. Overlooked those 2 latter games because definite dates have not been finalized/announced.
Twice as good. Looked up the Yale game at UGA to open Sanford Stadium in 1929. It was Yale's first ever game in the South. Mercer is to be congratulated on getting that series with Yale. The AD or whoever does Mercer's football schedules is to be commended, not only for that Yale series but also for the other OOC games that you mention for 2018-2023.
FU69 liked this
 #1417  by Jasper
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:57 am
I would like to see Furman build on the Colgate relationship and schedule some other Patriot League games. They are now almost at the scholarship limit for FCS with 60 and are playing very competitive football. Lehigh and Bucknell have good football history and away games vs. Fordham in NYC or Georgetown in DC would be great for the kids and the fans. Lots of FU alum in both those locations. Good football, great road trips and excellent exposure for the FU "brand".
FU69 liked this
 #1418  by soconjohn
 Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:38 am
Furman needs to challenge itself as a football program...Playing a bunch of Ivy League programs is not to the way to do it...I would rather play two FBS programs--one power five and the the other from a group of Five than play an Ivy.
gman84 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.