• Armor Gray Uniforms

#13811  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 pm
No issue in general.

But like Flag says I prefer the Diamond F. Please don’t lose that to the masked crusader icon. I recall when the new icon (mask of knight) came out people said it was always just going to a lil thing. It seems to be creeping in more and more. Please don’t lose the Diamond F!!! Anyone else notice the knight head seems to be becoming more prominent?
If Furman Football ever decided to take the Diamond F off of the helmets, I suspect you would see that decision reversed PFQ. I can’t speak for the recent Football Alums, but I can guarantee that the late 70’s, 80’s, and probably thru at least the early 2000’s Football Alums would threaten a ‘mutiny’ over such a decision. It’s a whole lot more than ‘just a decal’ to that large group of Furman Football supporters & donors.

In fact, Coach Johnson just told some of us, on Friday night, the story about how they had to ‘fight’ with the powers that were at Vanderbilt to put a Star-V on their helmets when they went there in order to attempt to replicate what the <F> meant to the Players at Furman. I’m assuming, also, everyone remembers the logo that Coach Sheridan and Staff created & implemented at NC State, when they went there.

That shape was NOT an accident.

The masked knight guy is fine as a secondary logo for Football and for other sports to use as much as they would like, but Furman Football will always be about <F> to us.
FUPlayer74, MNORM liked this
 #13812  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:16 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 pm
No issue in general.

But like Flag says I prefer the Diamond F. Please don’t lose that to the masked crusader icon. I recall when the new icon (mask of knight) came out people said it was always just going to a lil thing. It seems to be creeping in more and more. Please don’t lose the Diamond F!!! Anyone else notice the knight head seems to be becoming more prominent?
A few things. To those who say gray is not a Furman color, that is no longer the case (https://www.furman.edu/wp-content/uploa ... -Guide.pdf). In fact, it is called "Furman Gray."

Second, I do not think that you will see the diamond F go away. Furman's athletics department, like many D1 athletics departments, has a primary and secondary logo. I am not a branding expert, but I believe the idea is that you have a secondary logo simply so as to not over-use the primary identity. The logos along with type face, etc. create a consistent visual identity for Furman's athletics program.

A college football program is a lot of things, but it is also a marketing arm of the University. There are numerous colleges we know nothing about outside of their university's athletics. To that end, it becomes important to tell a cohesive story. It doesn't do much good for the football team to look different than the basketball team, baseball team, and women's lacrosse team.

All that said, I do not think the Diamond "F" is going anywhere. I just think for a long time Furman didn't have a secondary logo they would use and now they do. It, perhaps, seems like they are reducing the "F", but in reality are probably just making a concerted effort to use the other logo where previously they had not.
gman, FUKA61 liked this
 #13813  by Fred Garvin
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:06 am
They look great and have historical significance....the black stuff sucked as bad as the all purple pants

If you don't like them....
1. Call 294-2120
2. Identify yourself with your real name
3. Ask to speak with Coach Hendrix
4. Say the same you are saying here

There are 2 of you on here that make the rest of us laugh with your constant negative waves.....you will be upset the rapture doesn't have more fire....
DeepPurple liked this
 #13814  by AstroDin
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:30 am
I've never heard of any thoughts to get rid of the Diamond F - thankfully a few folks brought it back to it's original DNA.
Years back the F was tinkered with - we have some folks at Furman that will keep this icon pure.

In case some of you don't know thank Dennis Zeiger for the Diamond F - Dennis took Sheridan's vision and did what is damn hard to do. Create a simple icon that stands the tests of time.

Concerning the secondary mark - Furman in years past struggled to have a 'mascot' logo. I tried unsuccessfully to do this with the mascot logo during the Boby Johnson era - it's funny to see that The Furman Bands are still using that logo.

The new Knight Logo - IMO is a great compliment to the Diamond F. It looks great on apparel and as a graphic element on social. Furman so far has done a great job at what we call "linking the logos."

Lastly, I sound like a broken record - it appears both logos are very popular with current students and recruits.
Today looks need to be more hybrid offering flexibility - in the past, you just slapped your logo on stuff and you were done with it. Today everything has an element of design to it. Below are just random examples of how Furman IMO is masterfully weaving the Diamond F, the Knight, and being relevant.

FUKA61 liked this
 #13815  by DeepPurple
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:13 am
The Armor Gray looks a lot like the armor on our mascot riding our horse. I don't think we will see these uniforms worn that much but it sure seems to create excitement with our student athletes, football players. I personally like them. They are classy and done first class. Purple and the Diamond F will always rule. I bet we see a lot of mix with them, not just all Gray, etc. IMO, the all white uniform are the best looking outfit we wear.
I am looking forward to toe meeting leather in a few months.
FUBeAR, FUKA61, fufanatic liked this
 #13820  by fufanatic
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 pm
I think the secondary logo was a great touch. It looks phenomenal on the basketball court and really slick in these men's tennis shirts that I've tried to purchase directly from the team. Does everyone remember how embarrassing our mascot has been over the years? Merlin was awful. To finally have a secondary logo to go along with the best logo in all of college sports, was a great forward-thinking move. These gray jerseys are also forward thinking and will be a nice touch 1-2 times a year. They are incredibly crisp and well done. Such a giant upgrade over the last time we tried to have alternate unis. Didn't help that we weren't very good during that stretch either.

DeepPurple liked this
 #13821  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 pm
Thought y’all might want a side by side look...

DeepPurple liked this
 #13824  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:55 pm
Just can't beat those first 2. I guess the gray would be ok for one game a year. I really would like to see that Purple Matte Helmet with the white diamond F come into play that was shown a couple of years ago. I thought it was awesome looking. . i've told this story before but I will tell it again since some may have missed it. After the new logo came on board ESPN suddenly started using it. I emailed them and told them the knight logo was just a secondary logo and the diamond F was the official logo and always would be. Thankfully ESPN responded immediately and has used the diamond F since then. I don't have a problem with the knight being a secondary logo as long as it stays that way.
MNORM, fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #13825  by cavedweller2
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:59 pm
I would like to see us play at home in all white uniforms if NCAA rules allow.
 #13827  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:19 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Jersey
ARTICLE 5. b. Color.
2. The visiting team shall wear white jerseys; however, the home team may wear white jerseys if the teams have agreed in writing before the season.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #13829  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:05 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
We've done that before. Remember "white out"?
QCGlue liked this
 #13838  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:55 pm
Just can't beat those first 2. I guess the gray would be ok for one game a year. I really would like to see that Purple Matte Helmet with the white diamond F come into play that was shown a couple of years ago. I thought it was awesome looking. . i've told this story before but I will tell it again since some may have missed it. After the new logo came on board ESPN suddenly started using it. I emailed them and told them the knight logo was just a secondary logo and the diamond F was the official logo and always would be. Thankfully ESPN responded immediately and has used the diamond F since then. I don't have a problem with the knight being a secondary logo as long as it stays that way.

Great story and great point. I just want the masked-knight icon to stay as the secondary. That's all I was getting at.
 #13840  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 pm
Thought y’all might want a side by side look...

Thanks BeAR.. those look awesome !

And as to whiteout and other ideas - just never.. ever... ever.. ever.. ever.. bring back the KISTLETOE ! ( most embarrasing thing ever... lol
 #13845  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:45 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 pm
What next? Pink? Actually, that would look better than the lame gray.
fufanatic liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.