• Put up or Shut up

#13716  by Affirm
 Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 pm
I donated April 20 to
-men’s basketball enhancement fund
-women’s basketball fund
-balance of my Paladin Club pledge for 2018-2019.
Can those be counted in your list?
 #13719  by Fuonetime
 Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:01 pm
FU03times wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 am
On that note...Dins Day is coming up, and as a young alumn I’ve been recruited to be a social advocate and raise money for my preferred part of the campus. Guess what I’ve chosen! Would y’all donate if I post it here? You can see the progress with each single donation and we can all put our money where our mouths are and do the darn thing.
You post! We give! Let’s do this!
 #13728  by FU03times
 Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm
affirm wrote:
I donated April 20 to
-women’s basketball fund
I wish! Don't worry though affirm, it is more important to me to raise money for the program than for me personally to have the most successful fundraising page. Even though that would also be pretty cool haha. If you feel so inclined you can always make a smaller donation to my page once it's live.
 #13730  by Affirm
 Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 pm
FU03times wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm
affirm wrote:
I donated April 20 to
-women’s basketball fund
I wish! Don't worry though affirm, it is more important to me to raise money for the program than for me personally to have the most successful fundraising page. Even though that would also be pretty cool haha. If you feel so inclined you can always make a smaller donation to my page once it's live.
I am so inclined. I appreciate and encourage your service to Furman as an alumnus.
Thank you.
FU03times, FUKA61 liked this
 #13833  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:13 pm
I do not want to be the lowest on your list. Expect to hear from me tomorrow if no one gives $40 or below. Note: I encourage everyone to give more than $40. That was just to get in on your campaign, as I had previously fulfilled my pledges.
 #13834  by FU03times
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:10 pm
affirm wrote:
I do not want to be the lowest on your list. Expect to hear from me tomorrow if no one gives $40 or below. Note: I encourage everyone to give more than $40. That was just to get in on your campaign, as I had previously fulfilled my pledges.
Affirm, I love how passionate you are about this lol!
We have a little less than 27 more hours to do this! Let's reach $1k and then surpass it!!! We can all make a difference when we work together. Do it for the Dins!!!
https://dins-day-2019-athletics.everyda ... r-fu-hoops
 #13851  by Affirm
 Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:07 am
FU03times wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:10 pm
affirm wrote:
Affirm, I love how passionate you are about this lol!
We have a little less than 27 more hours to do this! Let's reach $1k and then surpass it!!! We can all make a difference when we work together. Do it for the Dins!!!
https://dins-day-2019-athletics.everyda ... r-fu-hoops
I just went in and added money! No longer the single lowest on the list - if you will edit my amount by combining my newest donation to the earlier one. (“Connecting to payment server” is presently still showing up at bottom of your online giving form for this latest donation.)
 #13854  by FU03times
 Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 am
DINS DAY IS HERE EVERYBODY!
Let's show this school and the athletics department that we care by being ALL DIN today! You can make donations on furman.edu/dinsday and if you're especially interested in donating to Furman Men's Basketball, you can use this fundraiser page I've made through Furman to raise money designated for the team and the program's growth. Here's the link:https://dins-day-2019-athletics.everyda ... r-fu-hoops
Please consider donating and sharing the link!
We are only $65 away from my $1k goal and we can raise even more! Let's show CBR, the Furman administration, and the team that has given us to much to be happy about and proud of this season, that WE CARE! It's our time to give back! Together, we can make a difference. GO DINS!
 #14201  by JohnW
 Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 pm
Going to throw a bit of a bomb out there. We know and Coach Richey has honestly stated the obstacles Furman faces in getting to that next step, facilities, entrance requirements, money. We should be proud of our academic standing, does shrink the pool, more funding needed for extended recruiting. Facilities, money, retaining coaches, money. Now Furman luckily has some rich donors, but not enough, the local community will contribute but not enough. Arguably Furman needs to reach that next step before that particular faucet will start to pour.

Bit long winded but my point is donations won't get us there, what's left is school funding. My proposition, my bomb is would the school benefit more from a next level successful basketball program than it currently does from what to date is an under performing Men's lacrosse team. I don't know, but I will state my bias, I like basketball, I attend basketball games, I have never seen the Lacrosse team play and honestly have no desire too. I was in favor of starting lacrosse because it seemed an enhancement to student body recruitment. But I've always felt if you're going to do a sport you should try to be good at it, so far we aren't and I don't think that's lack of effort. And it can probably be fixed.

Should it or is it time to move men's lacrosse to the level of our very successful rugby team. Divert the money to basketball to climb that ladder. Again I don't know because I lack the facts. My gut tells me it would be overall a positive move just from a publicity point. It seems the biggest bang for the buck. Still having said all this in I hope is an uncharacteristically loose and verbose manner. I would like to hear from the forum, many I know having a deeper knowledge of the subject.
 #14203  by Paul C
 Wed May 22, 2019 4:22 pm
I don’t know the #s but am very curious.

Obviously the success we were forecast to have with a supposed high level coach didn’t come to pass, but have no idea of the impact on our athletic budget.
 #14204  by fufanatic
 Wed May 22, 2019 4:46 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 pm
My gut tells me it would be overall a positive move just from a publicity point.
I don't have an answer to your question. I've been incredibly disappointed with lacrosse as well. But I'll disagree that it would be a positive move from a publicity point to move it to a club sport. Any time a school eliminates programs, it's a bad look in the media and around the country. I don't think it would be any different in this circumstance, especially not for a sport where universities are tripping all over themselves trying to add it. Also for the fact that we are still such a young program. Cutting the cord this quickly would be a bad look in my opinion.

Unless someone can speak differently to what's going on internally, I think the first step is a fresh start at coach and see what can happen with the lax program over the next 3-4 years.
 #14205  by JohnW
 Wed May 22, 2019 5:16 pm
Just as a point of reference, when Richmond added lacrosse, they dropped soccer. This a school with roughly 4X our endowment. They've been much more successful in lacrosse so they saw benefit in the sport, but made a choice not to increase the number of sports they support. It's been a few years and I remember being surprised they dropped soccer I don't recall much blow back. I think the rewards from a higher profile basketball program to local public interest and most likely nationally over anything lacrosse would bring is a given. My sticking point is I've no idea if it's paying off in terms of the cohort.
 #14206  by JoeyFreshwater
 Wed May 22, 2019 8:09 pm
There are no intentions on dropping lacrosse. For one, you are not able to simply drop only men’s lacrosse due to title ix. Two, men’s lacrosse brings in approximately 35 students without any athletic scholarship money and is increasing furmans footprint in the northeast which is desirable to the university. Third, the admin is actually investing more in lacrosse with a number of capital projects including a locker room renovation.
FUKA61, Jasper liked this