• 2019 Recruiting

#13502  by Paul C
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am
tya1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:17 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:59 pm
That's a nice article. I wonder if his weight is listed correctly at 170? Seems awfully light for a 6'5" or 6'6" player.
From the video I've seen he is closer to the 190-200 range.
yeah for sure, we were just talking about that this morning...he definatly looks more stout than 170....200 is a good guess.

Not sure if he's faced a high level of competition in the Jersey Shore league. I grew up in Jersey and thought I was a decent athlete.....until I came down here :)
 #13514  by Monday
 Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:41 am
Zac Ervin has de-committed from Wofford. He was a big recruit for the Terriers and his friendship with Hunter Cattoor was a reason we lost out on the latter. According to the Wofford boards, their coaches are not recruiting right now and are waiting until a new coach is selected. Of course, none of them may be around to recruit for Wofford in a week or so.

Update: Twitter says that Hunter Cattoor has also been granted his release. Wofford now has zero incoming recruits. I wonder what our interest level is in Cattoor, he was one of our top targets this past fall.
 #13515  by tya1
 Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 am
Here is a LINK to a story from Colin Kenney's hometown paper about him missing out on the Indiana all-star team that will play the Kentucky team in their annual series. They think it was because he attended a smaller school. All but one of the all-stars picked was from a class 4A high school and most were from the Indianapolis area.
Monday wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:41 am
Zac Ervin has de-committed from Wofford. He was a big recruit for the Terriers and his friendship with Hunter Cattoor was a reason we lost out on the latter. According to the Wofford boards, their coaches are not recruiting right now and are waiting until a new coach is selected. Of course, none of them may be around to recruit for Wofford in a week or so.
Cattoor has de-committed from the Terriers too. He had a very good senior year. I wonder if he and Ervin try to follow Young to Virginia Tech?
 #13522  by CharlieFU
 Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Zac Ervin—when he committed to Wofford, this was one recruiting site’s comment:

“Ervin is the sort of tough, shot-making athlete who could put up big numbers at the SoCon program.”

Now, maybe that SoCon program could be us. Was originally offered by both Mercer and ETSU, among others.
 #13591  by CharlieFU
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am
Since de-committing, Zac Ervin has at least new offers from both Elon and App State.

6-5 shooting guard.
 #13592  by CharlieFU
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:11 am
When Hunter Catoor committed to Wofford, he was asked about his "closest second place." He said both Furman and Belmont (whose coach just retired...)
 #13593  by youwouldno
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:34 pm
Kenney was signed for that PG/CG spot. It's clear from what Richey said on the latest podcast, and a general look at the roster, that first priority is a 5, second priority is a 3.
 #13597  by Monday
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:57 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:34 pm
Kenney was signed for that PG/CG spot. It's clear from what Richey said on the latest podcast, and a general look at the roster, that first priority is a 5, second priority is a 3.
You take talent when you can get talent, let it sort itself out later. If we are being super picky, as BR has said, and Ervin checks all our recruiting boxes then why not. Saving him from the ignobility of attending a certain other school is a bonus. Plus, we have another available scholarship.
Jasper, tya1 liked this
 #13622  by tya1
 Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:53 am
Marcus Domask, 6'5" 180 guard from Waupun, WI, is getting recruiting interest from the Paladins and at least 14 other schools since he re-opened his recruiting after Northern Kentucky coach John Brannen left to take the job at Cincinnati. Domask was named "Mr. Basketball" by the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association after leading his team to a 26-2 record and the Div. 3 state championship game. Domask averaged 26 ppg and 10 rpg. Among the schools he has heard from are Wright State, Furman, Loyola, Chattanooga, and Southern Illinois. He says he won't be following Brannen to Cincinnati. He might stick with Northern Kentucky but won't decide until after they pick a new coach.

Looking at some video, I would say this guy is pretty good.

LINK
 #13732  by tya1
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:35 am
Hunter McIntosh, Georgia guard who had some Furman interest at one point, is going to Elon.
Kelton Samore, 6'8" forward from Oregon who also had some interest from the Paladins, picked American U.

Northern Kentucky hired Darrin Horn as new head coach. Interesting to see how that affects Marcus Domask's choices. Horn had a successful run as coach at Western Kentucky but his four years as South Carolina coach were a disaster recordwise. The Gamecocks went 21-10 his first year and declined each season afterwards until Horn was fired after going 10-21 in his fourth year in Columbia. Horn was an assistant at Texas this year.
 #13860  by JohnW
 Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:16 am
New offer reported by a guy from National Scouting Report. Spencer Jones, 6-7 SF, from Shawnee, Ks.
 #13867  by tya1
 Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:25 pm
Spencer Jones has become very popular lately. So far today he has reported offers from Furman, Davidson, and Drake. Add those to a handful of earlier offers.

Jones was rated in the top 5 candidates for Kansas "Mr. Basketball" during the preseason.
Slender, lanky, athletic wing in the mold of Clay Mounce as a Paladin comparison.

Some comments from before this season -
An athletic wing with terrific size and length, Jones was mostly known for his ability to simply fit in last year with Bishop Miege, a talented team that captured a state championship. However, Jones is poised for a breakout spring and summer as he brings a diverse and well-rounded skill set to the court. He has elite level athleticism, a strong, powerful frame and good quickness and anticipation at the defensive end.
LINK
One of the state’s premier players in the 2019 class, Jones showed his all-around skills throughout the event on Sunday. He has a big, strong frame and good size and athleticism at 6’6, and can do a variety of things. At the offensive end of the floor, he was able to finish a lot of baskets in the paint and did some damage in transition. He also showed the ability to dominate the glass at the defensive end of the floor, and even in an up-and-down camp type setting, he showed he is capable of defending at a high level.
LINK

Kansas State, Wichita State, and Northern Iowa have also been evaluating Jones this Spring.
 #13874  by soconjohn
 Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:58 pm
Furman basketball is so amazing...That might sound cheesy, but it's true...Few places if any will you see better basketball in the Palmetto State!
 #13904  by tya1
 Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 pm
6'10" David Skogman has announced for University of Buffalo. Good pick-up for them. I don't know if we had been waiting on a decision or had moved on earlier. If we were waiting there might be news on some other players soon. Bob Richey mentioned on his podcast that there was one player who Furman was after who would make a decision soon. Don't know if that was Skogman or not. Interesting that Wofford apparently tried to start recruiting Skogman in the past couple of days. Was Dwight Perry recruiting Skogman for Furman?
 #13906  by CharlieFU
 Fri May 03, 2019 4:41 am
I think Richey was probably talking about Zac Ervin when he a player deciding soon