• 2019-2020 Season

#13472  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:24 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 am
when he talked about Furman fans complaining on a message board rather than taking action.
Timestamp?
OK - had to listen 2x...but I heard it at the end.

FUBeAR’s Takeaway: As I’ve KNOWN for a LONG time & opined here more than a few times...this confirms, once again, that “important” peeps read this (and other) message boards. 99.99 times out of 100, they won’t directly admit that they do...but THEY DO.

So...yes, it’s great if you have the inclination and the ability to take your ideas, suggestions, comments, and complaints directly to those important people; you should do that. It is certainly the best methodology to make your position known. And, if you can back up your position with donations of time, talents, and/or treasure; you should do that too. And, if you aren’t able to do the latter AND your have a complaint, then, IMO, you sure as heck oughta bring some well-thought-out suggestions for resolution and/or solutions with you as you make your complaint directly.

But...if you don’t have the inclination or the ability to make that direct contact, then, IMO, this IS THE best forum to state your position. My opinion is that you should still do either or both of the ‘donating & solutioning’ mentioned above when using this forum for that purpose, of course.

My bottom line point is, other than ANY criticism of student athletes, posters here should not be stifled from expressing their opinions, WITHIN REASON & WITH PROPER DECORUM. We will really never know if something changes for the better as a direct result of those opinions expressed here, but we DO KNOW those opinions are ‘registered’ by those that have the power to make changes & improvements.

So...if you disagree with something a poster states, IMO, it’s perfectly OK to tell them why you think they are wrong & also full of bull excrement (if applicable), and it’s also fine to inform them how they can make their position known directly to those responsible; but I don't think it’s OK to tell them to ‘shut up’ or go away, or encourage their opinion(s) to be stifled in any way.

[steps down from soapbox]...
dornb, Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #13479  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am
MNORM wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Great podcast episode. Those might be the most candid comments from a coach I've ever heard. Lots of highlights throughout, from his brutal UFFP takedown, mentioning that other mid-major programs have been after him, explaining why Bob Hoffman hit the skids at Mercer, noting that Furman has the worst facilities in the SoCon . . . really a tour de force. He's obviously correct about the need for timely investment.
CBR talked a little bit about recruiting. He mentioned that he will have coaches in both Missouri and Ohio for the ending of the "quiet period" today. Below are my educated guesses on the two likely reasons:

Zane Meeks - Missouri (Shawnee Mission, KS is a suburb of Kansas City) 6-9 210lbs
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zane-meeks

Ben Wight - Ohio (Thomas Worthington HS - Ohio University decommit) 6-9 210lbs
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ben-wight

Would be great to land one of those kids!
underjack liked this
 #13480  by furpop16
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am
MNORM wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Great podcast episode. Those might be the most candid comments from a coach I've ever heard. Lots of highlights throughout, from his brutal UFFP takedown, mentioning that other mid-major programs have been after him, explaining why Bob Hoffman hit the skids at Mercer, noting that Furman has the worst facilities in the SoCon . . . really a tour de force. He's obviously correct about the need for timely investment.
CBR talked a little bit about recruiting. He mentioned that he will have coaches in both Missouri and Ohio for the ending of the "quiet period" today. Below are my educated guesses on the two likely reasons:

Zane Meeks - Missouri (Shawnee Mission, KS is a suburb of Kansas City) 6-9 210lbs
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zane-meeks

Ben Wight - Ohio (Thomas Worthington HS - Ohio University decommit) 6-9 210lbs
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ben-wight

Loved how CBR mentioned that he & staff are being "picky" with recruiting. "We're saying 'no' a lot more than we're saying 'yes'".
 #13491  by apaladin
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:07 am
A perfect example of "they do" read the UFFP. After Noah Gurley did not start a couple of games I posted that NG needs to be starting and many of you agreed, NG started the next game an the rest of the season. :shock: :shock:
 #13493  by gman
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:42 am
apaladin wrote:
A perfect example of "they do" read the UFFP. After Noah Gurley did not start a couple of games I posted that NG needs to be starting and many of you agreed, NG started the next game an the rest of the season. :shock: :shock:
I’m sure Coach Richey read your post suggestion and then started him the next game.
 #13495  by Jasper
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:55 am
apaladin wrote:
A perfect example of "they do" read the UFFP. After Noah Gurley did not start a couple of games I posted that NG needs to be starting and many of you agreed, NG started the next game an the rest of the season.
Wow. That is something else man. POWER TO THE PEOPLE :roll:
 #13496  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am
Jasper wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:55 am
apaladin wrote:
A perfect example of "they do" read the UFFP. After Noah Gurley did not start a couple of games I posted that NG needs to be starting and many of you agreed, NG started the next game an the rest of the season.
Wow. That is something else man. POWER TO THE PEOPLE :roll:
I am sure he's joking ;)
 #13499  by Affirm
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 am
Whether it’s another 1, or 2, or perhaps a few more years than that for Coach BR to be with us, it will be less time than we want. The point is that this is the time for all of us, and as many others as possible, to actively support the program in significant tangible ways.
Paul C and 1 others liked this
 #13500  by MNORM
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:04 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 am
Whether it’s another 1, or 2, or perhaps a few more years than that for Coach BR to be with us, it will be less time than we want. The point is that this is the time for all of us, and as many others as possible, to actively support the program in significant tangible ways.
Exactly.
Another way to read/interpret CBR's comments, transparency and candor;
1) We have the worst basketball facilities in the SoCon.
2) We really need the university administration and fan-base to do a better job of supporting the program, as a whole...i.e. financially.
3) I've had other mid-major programs contact me for coaching positions.

Read between the lines folks. If these goals that CBR has for the program are not reached due to lack of university and fan support, he will leave for a place that will allow him to succeed (at the level he wants). He's coming right out and saying it without directly saying it.
 #13504  by Paul C
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:47 am
I was reassured by the way he talked about the support he's received from Mike Buddie and Dr Davis. Sometimes it's what you DON'T say that's telling, and the fact he mentioned Dr Davis' name I think is a positive.

Doesn't mean she's gonna wave some magic wand and bippity-boppity-boo we will have a bigger budget and new facilities, but just having the administration behind the efforts needed to get a bigger budget and updated facilities is extremely helpful.
furpop16, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #13506  by Affirm
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm
He will not be here long enough to reach major goals other than perhaps 1 or 2 SoCon championships. Achieving that would be major, but not equivalent to “being like a Butler or a Gonzaga” (or even to being like a Wofford with their numerous championships over the decade; or their new arena). Coach would have to stay at Furman at least 8 more years, I expect, to show really major growth. Even so, the program needs to advance and grow for the long term, i.e., so that the future head coaches will have a much better foundation than Medved and Richey had. Future head coaches already will have a better foundation than Medved and Richey had, but everyone needs to help Richey to make it even much better. To emphasize my point: we still need to support the program regardless of who is in charge; and we need to make sure that between now and whenever Coach Richey leaves, we need to build in his energy and vision, continuing to advance as a program, until and beyond whenever he leaves.
MNORM liked this
 #13508  by youwouldno
 Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:16 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm
He will not be here long enough to reach major goals other than perhaps 1 or 2 SoCon championships. Achieving that would be major, but not equivalent to “being like a Butler or a Gonzaga” (or even to being like a Wofford with their numerous championships over the decade; or their new arena). Coach would have to stay at Furman at least 8 more years, I expect, to show really major growth. Even so, the program needs to advance and grow for the long term, i.e., so that the future head coaches will have a much better foundation than Medved and Richey had. Future head coaches already will have a better foundation than Medved and Richey had, but everyone needs to help Richey to make it even much better. To emphasize my point: we still need to support the program regardless of who is in charge; and we need to make sure that between now and whenever Coach Richey leaves, we need to build in his energy and vision, continuing to advance as a program, until and beyond whenever he leaves.
This is clearly not what Richey was saying. He would like to hang around until he gets a big-time job offer, which won't happen in the next 1-2 years. He can make a lateral move whenever he likes (unless he stops winning of course), but will only do so if the program doesn't get the support to keep growing.

Mid-major coaches have to win for 6-10 years or so to get major program jobs. Iona's Tim Cluess is a good example - he's been there 9 years, 6 NCAA tournaments, and only now is in line for the St. John's gig (after the leading candidate said no).
Jasper liked this
 #13584  by tya1
 Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 pm
Early 2019-2020 SoCon favorite ETSU takes a BIG hit themselves as SoCon leading rebounder Jeromy Rodriquez has announced he will forego his last year of eligibility to turn pro. Rodriquez is on schedule to graduate but won't look to transfer. He lead D1 in rebounding at times during the year and finished #8.

Evens out the field a bit, although there are so many grad transfers available we probably should wait until fall to predict a favorite.