• 2019-2020 Season

#13215  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:45 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:37 pm
I do not know whether the participating schools pay for all, part, or none of their cost to go. The schools closest to us (I already mentioned CCU and CofC) appears to be Gardner-Webb, Clemson, Georgia, USC, and Georgia Tech. At least one of the tournaments is a conference challenge tournament, MAAC vs. ASUN (Monmouth, Iona, Stetson, and Kennesaw State). It appears that none of the Power 5 Conference Challenges that occur within the season are not included in the list - they are "just games", not tournaments. I do not know what the downside would be for Furman to participate - maybe cost, maybe eliminating a chance to play some big name school for a big payoff, etc. (One of the 26 events listed is a PAC-12 game that will take place somewhere in China, involving Arizona State and Colorado.) I wonder when any of the SoCon teams, including Furman, have been involved in such tournament. I wonder that because I see no SoCon Teams participating this year in any that have been announced. I also wonder what the role is (if any) of the SoCon Commissioner (which is apparently a vacant position) is in getting conference teams into these tournaments. This is not a burning issue as far as I am concerned, but it is relevant to the topic of 2019-2020 basketball schedule.
Doesn't appear at this time that we would be a good fit for the Maui Invitational - all big schools and elite mid-majors. However, they do have "mainland teams" that participate in the Maui Invitational, but don't go to Hawaii. Wofford did this a few years ago. That could be a good option ... guessing you play a bigger school before the Hawaii portion begins. Similar to what we did with Villanova this year.

Here's an interesting website. https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018 ... anksgiving

The Myrtle Beach tourney would have been awesome to get into. Charleston one would be as well. Maybe Coastal and Charleston don't want Furman or another in-state school. Wouldn't surprise me. The more I look down the list there are a ton of tournaments that I think we would be a good fit for, where we would get multiple games against bigger schools. Hopefully these options are being explored.
 #13236  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:47 pm
it would be good to get into a real tournament and not just a side game. It would also be good for Furman and/or other SoCon to have a couple of games on espn during the regular season. Maybe if we get a GOOD commish this could happen.
 #13237  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:47 pm
it would be good to get into a real tournament and not just a side game. It would also be good for Furman and/or other SoCon to have a couple of games on espn during the regular season. Maybe if we get a GOOD commish this could happen.

Indeed, hopefully the league can find a good one, would be interesting to know who some of the candidates are
 #13245  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:55 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:45 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:37 pm
I do not know whether the participating schools pay for all, part, or none of their cost to go. The schools closest to us (I already mentioned CCU and CofC) appears to be Gardner-Webb, Clemson, Georgia, USC, and Georgia Tech. At least one of the tournaments is a conference challenge tournament, MAAC vs. ASUN (Monmouth, Iona, Stetson, and Kennesaw State). It appears that none of the Power 5 Conference Challenges that occur within the season are not included in the list - they are "just games", not tournaments. I do not know what the downside would be for Furman to participate - maybe cost, maybe eliminating a chance to play some big name school for a big payoff, etc. (One of the 26 events listed is a PAC-12 game that will take place somewhere in China, involving Arizona State and Colorado.) I wonder when any of the SoCon teams, including Furman, have been involved in such tournament. I wonder that because I see no SoCon Teams participating this year in any that have been announced. I also wonder what the role is (if any) of the SoCon Commissioner (which is apparently a vacant position) is in getting conference teams into these tournaments. This is not a burning issue as far as I am concerned, but it is relevant to the topic of 2019-2020 basketball schedule.
Doesn't appear at this time that we would be a good fit for the Maui Invitational - all big schools and elite mid-majors. However, they do have "mainland teams" that participate in the Maui Invitational, but don't go to Hawaii. Wofford did this a few years ago. That could be a good option ... guessing you play a bigger school before the Hawaii portion begins. Similar to what we did with Villanova this year.

Here's an interesting website. https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018 ... anksgiving

The Myrtle Beach tourney would have been awesome to get into. Charleston one would be as well. Maybe Coastal and Charleston don't want Furman or another in-state school. Wouldn't surprise me. The more I look down the list there are a ton of tournaments that I think we would be a good fit for, where we would get multiple games against bigger schools. Hopefully these options are being explored.
We may not be but Davidson is, They are in.
 #13446  by furpop16
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:28 pm
WOWWW!
Episode 28 is amazing. Answers a LOT of questions being chewed-on here on gopaladins.com

"Challenger to Champion" ... perfect!
Fuonetime and 1 others liked this
 #13448  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:28 pm
WOWWW!
Episode 28 is amazing. Answers a LOT of questions being chewed-on here on gopaladins.com

"Challenger to Champion" ... perfect!

Incredible podcast with Coach Richey, something everyone needs to listen to in its entirety!
furpop16, Fuonetime liked this
 #13461  by youwouldno
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Great podcast episode. Those might be the most candid comments from a coach I've ever heard. Lots of highlights throughout, from his brutal UFFP takedown, mentioning that other mid-major programs have been after him, explaining why Bob Hoffman hit the skids at Mercer, noting that Furman has the worst facilities in the SoCon . . . really a tour de force. He's obviously correct about the need for timely investment.
 #13463  by furpop16
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 am
youwouldno wrote:
... Lots of highlights throughout, from his brutal UFFP takedown ...

Ya mean where he told us all to calm down because he's well aware of the need for another post player?

I might've even blushed when I heard him say it :D
 #13465  by youwouldno
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 am
furpop16 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Ya mean where he told us all to calm down because he's well aware of the need for another post player?

Haha no, when he talked about Furman fans complaining on a message board rather than taking action.
furpop16, QCGlue liked this
 #13466  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:57 am
youwouldno wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Haha no, when he talked about Furman fans complaining on a message board rather than taking action.

Some fans on here seem to think it wise to fight progress for no particularly good reason, seems to me he's basically stating at this point there is only one direction to focus on at that is 'UP' to the pinnacle, and the better we all work together the sooner we can get there!
 #13468  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:45 am
youwouldno wrote:
his brutal UFFP takedown
Timestamp?
Jasper liked this
 #13469  by Monday
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:46 am
At least he cares enough to take a swipe at us. That's two administrators in 4 months who've taken the time to put us in our place. Dwight Covington being the other.

Good job, guys, if we keep it up we can have pres. Davis telling us to quit bitchin'!
FUBeAR liked this
 #13470  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 am
youwouldno wrote:
when he talked about Furman fans complaining on a message board rather than taking action.
Timestamp?
 #13471  by MNORM
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am
youwouldno wrote:
Great podcast episode. Those might be the most candid comments from a coach I've ever heard. Lots of highlights throughout, from his brutal UFFP takedown, mentioning that other mid-major programs have been after him, explaining why Bob Hoffman hit the skids at Mercer, noting that Furman has the worst facilities in the SoCon . . . really a tour de force. He's obviously correct about the need for timely investment.
CBR talked a little bit about recruiting. He mentioned that he will have coaches in both Missouri and Ohio for the ending of the "quiet period" today. Below are my educated guesses on the two likely reasons:

Zane Meeks - Missouri (Shawnee Mission, KS is a suburb of Kansas City) 6-9 210lbs
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zane-meeks

Ben Wight - Ohio (Thomas Worthington HS - Ohio University decommit) 6-9 210lbs
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ben-wight
Last edited by MNORM on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.