• Mike Young Endorses Jay McCauley

#13426  by tim
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 pm
I'm not sure Mike Ayers was impressed with the Conklin hire on the football side. I think he ( Conklin) is a relative of a wealthy donor. Endorsements are good but other things are probably at play.
 #13428  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:54 pm
tim wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:42 pm
I'm not sure Mike Ayers was impressed with the Conklin hire on the football side. I think he ( Conklin) is a relative of a wealthy donor. Endorsements are good but other things are probably at play.

True, good point
Ayers endorsed their offensive coordinator, who is still just their offensive coordinator
 #13436  by Fessor
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:58 am
Monday wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 am
Just throwing this out there.

Which option would you choose if you were JM?

Option A: Stay at WC and be head coach. You are familiar with the team, facilities, alumni/boosters, administration, conference, etc. You know the continuity will help your transition to HC and you might have a longer leash if things get rocky. There's not much downside but the opportunity of Option B may never come again.

Option B: Go with MY to VPI. It's big boy basketball with big boy talent, facilities, amenities and everything else. You've made it to the ACC but there are high expectations and you could be gone in a year and asst coaching at Kennesaw St or some other backwater. But if you make it, the sky's the limit.

The salaries are equal. What do you choose?

No guarantee that option A will come again either, I would take head position at Woff, just never know who or when someone will be willing to give you that shot at being the lead man again if ever. Easier to get it now at a school that you have already been an assistant at as opposed to being more on the open market interviewing against all comers were he to try and land a head job after being at V. Tech for a stint as an assistant. I think the likelihood of consistent success is more slanted in favor of Woff as a program as well, tougher gig at V. Tech for that staff to maintain a winner IMO.
I'd go to Blacksburg, take what also is probably a ten-fold raise, and worry about the future when it arrives. The AD at WC doesn't sound like a good boss. No. brainer.
bj93, QCGlue liked this
 #13437  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Monday wrote:

Option A: Stay at WC and be head coach. You are familiar with the team, facilities, alumni/boosters, administration, conference, etc. You know the continuity will help your transition to HC and you might have a longer leash if things get rocky. There's not much downside but the opportunity of Option B may never come again.

Option B: Go with MY to VPI. It's big boy basketball with big boy talent, facilities, amenities and everything else. You've made it to the ACC but there are high expectations and you could be gone in a year and asst coaching at Kennesaw St or some other backwater. But if you make it, the sky's the limit.

No guarantee that option A will come again either, I would take head position at Woff, just never know who or when someone will be willing to give you that shot at being the lead man again if ever. Easier to get it now at a school that you have already been an assistant at as opposed to being more on the open market interviewing against all comers were he to try and land a head job after being at V. Tech for a stint as an assistant. I think the likelihood of consistent success is more slanted in favor of Woff as a program as well, tougher gig at V. Tech for that staff to maintain a winner IMO.
I'd go to Blacksburg, take what also is probably a ten-fold raise, and worry about the future when it arrives. The AD at WC doesn't sound like a good boss. No. brainer.

I get that and agree money wise, but the scenario that was painted was if the salaries were equal
 #13464  by Fessor
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Monday wrote:

I get that and agree money wise, but the scenario that was painted was if the salaries were equal
Oh.

I'd go to Blacksburg and worry about the future when it arrives. The AD at WC doesn't sound like a good boss. No brainer.

Most important thing about any job is the boss.
 #13473  by MNORM
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 am
Fessor wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Monday wrote:

Oh.

I'd go to Blacksburg and worry about the future when it arrives. The AD at WC doesn't sound like a good boss. No brainer.

Most important thing about any job is the boss.
Mike Buddie > Richard Johnson.....hands down.
FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this
 #13477  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 am
MNORM wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 am
Mike Buddie > Richard Johnson
Also, Water = Wet
:D