• Mike Young to Va Tech

#13402  by CharlieFU
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:38 pm
Meanwhile, with Young already taken, UCLA hires Mick Cronin. Wow. How far has that program fallen?

Cronin has done fairly well at Cincy but never done much in tournament.

I am guessing he wont be asking Larry Davis to join him on the west coast.
 #13404  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Jasper wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:57 pm
Perhaps it took him a while to learn his craft. My old high school coach was one of the worst basketball coaches ever known to man when he first came on board. The ONLY thing he really knew was that really good players tend to win games. So, after a dismal first year, he went out and got some of those before he knew an X from an O. Often game strategies and plays were drawn up on the fly by the players. We won a lot of games without much coaching at all. I assume he got a lot better at it after I graduated because he went on to have a great career in the collegiate and pro ranks and is ensconced as an honored member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.
I don't know Mike Young at all but in the 10 or so years I've been watching his teams, he has had some very good players at Wofford that he prepares very well for a game and manages them beautifully during the game. He had 3 kids this year that could have played up a collegiate level. That is a lot for a mid major and it tells me that he has a good eye for real talent and determination. If that 3 pointer kid makes just 2 of his 12 attempts vs. Kentucky, Wofford likely wins the game and goes on. That's on the kid not the coach. I wish him luck and success. If they got to the Final Four, maybe he gets the UCLA job for 5 large. :)

It was kind of a joke many moons ago that Mike Young was actually the real coach when Richard Johnson was still the titled head man, Mike Young was in charge of the x and o's even way back then as he would be the one getting in the middle of the huddles during timeouts while Richard Johnson was always just kinda hovering outside the huddle looking around, it was hilarious
 #13406  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 pm
With Rich Barnes staying at Tennessee, Steve Forbes name now coming up as a candidate for the Cincinnati and St. John's jobs
 #13407  by Jasper
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:53 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Jasper wrote:
Perhaps it took him a while to learn his craft. My old high school coach was one of the worst basketball coaches ever known to man when he first came on board. The ONLY thing he really knew was that really good players tend to win games. So, after a dismal first year, he went out and got some of those before he knew an X from an O. Often game strategies and plays were drawn up on the fly by the players. We won a lot of games without much coaching at all. I assume he got a lot better at it after I graduated because he went on to have a great career in the collegiate and pro ranks and is ensconced as an honored member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.
I don't know Mike Young at all but in the 10 or so years I've been watching his teams, he has had some very good players at Wofford that he prepares very well for a game and manages them beautifully during the game. He had 3 kids this year that could have played up a collegiate level. That is a lot for a mid major and it tells me that he has a good eye for real talent and determination. If that 3 pointer kid makes just 2 of his 12 attempts vs. Kentucky, Wofford likely wins the game and goes on. That's on the kid not the coach. I wish him luck and success. If they got to the Final Four, maybe he gets the UCLA job for 5 large. :)

It was kind of a joke many moons ago that Mike Young was actually the real coach when Richard Johnson was still the titled head man, Mike Young was in charge of the x and o's even way back then as he would be the one getting in the middle of the huddles during timeouts while Richard Johnson was always just kinda hovering outside the huddle looking around, it was hilarious
You think maybe Mike dumped the X and O game back then for better recruiting?
 #13408  by Affirm
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 pm
Jasper wrote:
As interesting as anything about Young or Magee is that a fellow poster on this board played HS basketball (1) at a school where the new coach could “go out and recruit really good players to attend the HS” and (2) under a coach who eventually may it to the basketball hall of fame. Very uncommon.
 #13409  by soconjohn
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 pm
Wofford never had a winning season in NCAA Division I until 2008-09...That was Dahlman’s sophomore season...We all know his story...He was a program and ultimately profession changer for Young
 #13412  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:11 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 pm
Wofford never had a winning season in NCAA Division I until 2008-09...That was Dahlman’s sophomore season...We all know his story...He was a program and ultimately profession changer for Young

Yep Dahlman, Larry Davis commit that saved the day for Mike Young
 #13416  by Jasper
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 pm
Jasper wrote:
As interesting as anything about Young or Magee is that a fellow poster on this board played HS basketball (1) at a school where the new coach could “go out and recruit really good players to attend the HS” and (2) under a coach who eventually may it to the basketball hall of fame. Very uncommon.
Not uncommon at all at large private Catholic high schools that dominated BB back in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s in the big northern cities. Division 1 HS teams in NYC usually recruited 5 or 6 scholarship players a year from the CYO leagues. Those teams produced loads of college players and a goodly amount of pros over the years. The North Carolina team that won the NCAAs back in 1957 and started the “tobacco road” legend were all from that league with the exception of Lenny Rosenbluth who was a Jewish kid from Brooklyn. And I can assure you that I had very little to do with my old HS coach being inducted into the Hall of Fame. 🤗
Affirm liked this
 #13421  by Affirm
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:04 am
Thanks for explaining. I still think uncommon that students from large Catholic private high schools in big northern cities in the 50s & 60s were coming to FU. Maybe a few did. Not saying anything bad about it if they did. I think of Frank McGuire in relation to that phenomenon, particularly at USC. I don’t think of Furman in relation to it. But I don’t know all in regard to where everyone at Furman originated. And I’m not even sure if Jasper has stated that he went to Furman. In any case, thanks for enlightening.
 #13424  by Jasper
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:55 am
affirm wrote:
Thanks for explaining. I still think uncommon that students from large Catholic private high schools in big northern cities in the 50s & 60s were coming to FU. Maybe a few did. Not saying anything bad about it if they did. I think of Frank McGuire in relation to that phenomenon, particularly at USC. I don’t think of Furman in relation to it. But I don’t know all in regard to where everyone at Furman originated. And I’m not even sure if Jasper has stated that he went to Furman. In any case, thanks for enlightening.
I never said anything about players like that coming to Furman. Not only did I not go to Furman but I never heard of the school until Frank Selvy dropped a hundred on somebody when I was a kid. I live locally, am a sports fan and am particularly fond of the level of student athletes that represent this university. I think that Furman is a good example of everything that is right about college sports these days and have season tickets to 5 of its sports programs. I am simply a fan. My post was not about Furman. It was an observation re the apparently late blooming career of the former Wofford coach, Mike Young ; of which I was unaware until other posters mentioned it. My point was that great players can make great coaches even if they don't possess strong technical knowledge and used my old HS coach as an example. BTW, two of the best players ever to play for South Carolina were from my HS in NYC: Brian Winters and Kevin Joyce. They won a few games in high school as well and I can assure you were highly recruited scholarship players coming out of 8th grade. Private schools then and now can do that.
fufanatic, AstroDin, MNORM liked this
 #13427  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:50 pm
Jasper wrote:
I live locally, am a sports fan and am particularly fond of the level of student athletes that represent this university. I think that Furman is a good example of everything that is right about college sports these days and have season tickets to 5 of its sports programs. I am simply a fan.

BTW, two of the best players ever to play for South Carolina were from my HS in NYC: Brian Winters and Kevin Joyce. They won a few games in high school as well and I can assure you were highly recruited scholarship players coming out of 8th grade. Private schools then and now can do that.
Growing up in Raleigh, NC as a BIG NC State basketball fan...I was certainly NOT a fan of those 2 guys...they were evil, mean, dirty (but, John Roche was dirtier)....and VERY GOOD PLAYERS! [NOTE for the young peeps: South Carolina used to be in the ACC...and ONLY the Tournament Champion made the NCAA Tourney. The 'fights' were very bitter back in those days...and those ACC Tournament games felt like 'life & death' affairs to a 10-year old Fan...and many adults]

BTW - THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF FURMAN ATHLETICS!!!!! Finding a way to connect and attract more local non-Furman Alumni to be FANS of FU Athletics should be a top priority, IMO, for Furman Athletics AND Furman University. Hopefully, we/they are doing a good job of showing you how much they appreciate your support.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #13438  by CharlieFU
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I live locally, am a sports fan and am particularly fond of the level of student athletes that represent this university. I think that Furman is a good example of everything that is right about college sports these days and have season tickets to 5 of its sports programs. I am simply a fan.

BTW, two of the best players ever to play for South Carolina were from my HS in NYC: Brian Winters and Kevin Joyce. They won a few games in high school as well and I can assure you were highly recruited scholarship players coming out of 8th grade. Private schools then and now can do that.
Growing up in Raleigh, NC as a BIG NC State basketball fan...I was certainly NOT a fan of those 2 guys...they were evil, mean, dirty (but, John Roche was dirtier)....and VERY GOOD PLAYERS! [NOTE for the young peeps: South Carolina used to be in the ACC...and ONLY the Tournament Champion made the NCAA Tourney. The 'fights' were very bitter back in those days...and those ACC Tournament games felt like 'life & death' affairs to a 10-year old Fan...and many adults]

BTW - THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF FURMAN ATHLETICS!!!!! Finding a way to connect and attract more local non-Furman Alumni to be FANS of FU Athletics should be a top priority, IMO, for Furman Athletics AND Furman University. Hopefully, we/they are doing a good job of showing you how much they appreciate your support.
Can’t be sure of the year. But ACC championship game—‘71?—-SC beat NC 52-51(?) on jump ball. SC player 6 inches shorter out jumps nc player to get the tip and score.

I cried. I was a 9 year old die hard Heels fan.
 #13439  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:34 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Can’t be sure of the year. But ACC championship game—‘71?—-SC beat NC 52-51(?) on jump ball. SC player 6 inches shorter out jumps nc player to get the tip and score.

I cried. I was a 9 year old die hard Heels fan.
That was Jasper's schoolmate...Get your tissues ready...

#13442  by Affirm
 Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:10 pm
Jasper wrote:
affirm wrote:
I never said anything about players like that coming to Furman. Not only did I not go to Furman but I never heard of the school until Frank Selvy dropped a hundred on somebody when I was a kid. I live locally, am a sports fan and am particularly fond of the level of student athletes that represent this university. I think that Furman is a good example of everything that is right about college sports these days and have season tickets to 5 of its sports programs. I am simply a fan. My post was not about Furman. It was an observation re the apparently late blooming career of the former Wofford coach, Mike Young ; of which I was unaware until other posters mentioned it. My point was that great players can make great coaches even if they don't possess strong technical knowledge and used my old HS coach as an example. BTW, two of the best players ever to play for South Carolina were from my HS in NYC: Brian Winters and Kevin Joyce. They won a few games in high school as well and I can assure you were highly recruited scholarship players coming out of 8th grade. Private schools then and now can do that.
Thanks.