• Mike Young to Va Tech

#13370  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am
I read where they offered Young a raise in the $300k+ range a couple weeks ago and he turned it down. I guess he saw the writing on the wall. For a school like Wofford or FU, paying your basketball coach in the 300k+ range is NOT being cheap.
A raise to $300k or a raise of $300? Was Gibbs remodeled? Looks the same to me. What did they do to Gibbs?
soconjohn liked this
 #13373  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am
I read where they offered Young a raise in the $300k+ range a couple weeks ago and he turned it down. I guess he saw the writing on the wall. For a school like Wofford or FU, paying your basketball coach in the 300k+ range is NOT being cheap.
A raise to $300k or a raise of $300? Was Gibbs remodeled? Looks the same to me. What did they do to Gibbs?
My guess was “to $300k”. But only a guess. “Of $300k” would would make his new salary approx $500k had he stayed at WC.
 #13376  by tya1
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 pm
Virginia Tech loses another player - freshman Landers Nolley, 6'7" wing, will transfer. He was a 4-star rated top 75 recruit but never played because of eligibility questions around an ACT test he took. Nolley had a memorable recruiting journey. At one point he committed to Georgia. The commitment lasted for 18 hours.

Here is a LINK if you are interested in some of the VT info.

Young starts with $2,000,000 a year for the first two years. That increases by $250,000 each year in years 3,4, and 5. Young's contract is loaded with incentives, which I am sure is fairly common. If they win the national championship he gets a $500,000 bonus. Other levels of success get corresponding bonuses ranging from $100,000 to $250,000.
ACC season finishes range from $25,000 for a top 8 to $250,000 from a first place finish. Another $100,000 for an ACC tournament title.
There are also bonuses for ACC ($100,000) and national coach of the year ($250,000) honors.
There are academic bonuses too. Good team GPAs earn up to $50,000. Good APRs earn up to $60,000. Compare and contrast the relative importance of on-court and in-classroom success.
Although the stated value of the contract is for $11,500,000 Virginia Tech can buy out the contract starting at $7,000,000 this year and dropping each year to $1,000,000 the last year.
Last edited by tya1 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #13377  by Paul C
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:14 pm
As reported on espn upstate tonite the raise was TO 375k. Obviously not even in the same county, let alone ballpark.
 #13378  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:28 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:14 pm
As reported on espn upstate tonite the raise was TO 375k. Obviously not even in the same county, let alone ballpark.
I'm more curious to know who felt like it was in their best interests to leak that offer. Only a handful of people, or fewer, should be privy to that number.

The easy choice is the AD. He's trying to paint a picture that he went all in (for WC); that he did all he could do.
 #13379  by youwouldno
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:13 am
Realistically, the VT job is just something Young couldn't turn down . . . this isn't a Drake situation. He gets financial security and a chance to compete against the best in college basketball. Not bad for a guy that, in 17 seasons, had 13 mediocre or worse teams, 3 good teams, and 1 great team. Timing is everything, as they say.

That's the paradox with Young . . . the highs have been very high, but he does a lot more losing in between than most top coaches. That won't work at VT, needless to say. So far as Wofford, a guy like McAuley would stand a good chance to keep them as a strong SoCon program.

Overall, I'm not sure how huge the impact will be.
 #13380  by soconjohn
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:43 am
Wofford job is an attractive one...Every one in the SoCon is starting to become that, thanks in large part to the improvement of the conference as a whole.
 #13394  by fufanatic
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 am
Going from whatever Young was making to 2 million is living the dream to be sure. Good for him. And several very manageable incentives that probably add up to more than he made at Wofford by themselves.

And I disagree with his resume a bit. The first 7 years were brutal, and it's honestly remarkable that he kept his job. I'm not sure if it would happen in today's game. But his last 10 years have been borderline brilliant with five titles and five NCAA berths. He certainly has earned this promotion, and I'm honestly surprised a bigger school hadn't come calling before. Maybe previous options were Sun Belt, Conference USA, etc. and turning down his hometown school and the ACC was impossible.
 #13395  by furpop16
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:01 pm
fufanatic wrote:
[MY's] first 7 years were brutal, and it's honestly remarkable that he kept his job... But his last 10 years have been borderline brilliant with five titles and five NCAA berths.
I'd love to read the opinions of others on the turnaround. Was there some secret-sauce or did MY have some epiphany? Did the fancy stadium play a part, or was the program already golden by that time? And why did it take MY eight seasons to get to 20 wins while NM did it in only four (and only three to 19)?
 #13397  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:16 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:01 pm
fufanatic wrote:
[MY's] first 7 years were brutal, and it's honestly remarkable that he kept his job... But his last 10 years have been borderline brilliant with five titles and five NCAA berths.
I'd love to read the opinions of others on the turnaround. Was there some secret-sauce or did MY have some epiphany? Did the fancy stadium play a part, or was the program already golden by that time? And why did it take MY eight seasons to get to 20 wins while NM did it in only four (and only three to 19)?

Cue tya1 on how Mike Young got lucky as hell with the Larry Davis exit that single handily reversed Mike Young's fortunes as a college head coach
fufanatic liked this
 #13400  by Jasper
 Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:57 pm
Perhaps it took him a while to learn his craft. My old high school coach was one of the worst basketball coaches ever known to man when he first came on board. The ONLY thing he really knew was that really good players tend to win games. So, after a dismal first year, he went out and got some of those before he knew an X from an O. Often game strategies and plays were drawn up on the fly by the players. We won a lot of games without much coaching at all. I assume he got a lot better at it after I graduated because he went on to have a great career in the collegiate and pro ranks and is ensconced as an honored member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.
I don't know Mike Young at all but in the 10 or so years I've been watching his teams, he has had some very good players at Wofford that he prepares very well for a game and manages them beautifully during the game. He had 3 kids this year that could have played up a collegiate level. That is a lot for a mid major and it tells me that he has a good eye for real talent and determination. If that 3 pointer kid makes just 2 of his 12 attempts vs. Kentucky, Wofford likely wins the game and goes on. That's on the kid not the coach. I wish him luck and success. If they got to the Final Four, maybe he gets the UCLA job for 5 large. :)