#13349  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:33 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Fessor wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 am
I was surprised that MY left. That was before I saw something that has led me to believe that TAMU where Williams has gone pays something in the area of $3 million per year plus great bonuses and great raises, and that VaTech is in the area of $2 million plus bonuses/raises. And I have learned that apparently MY was at $171 thousand at WC, and was offered a raise to around $300 thousand if he’d stay. Glad he didn’t sign the WC raise contract which I suppose would have required VaTech to give WC a small windfall for MY’s buyout.
The money at the top level and the significant disparity with this level are common knowledge.

The expectations are also multiplied and compounded by competing against and recruiting against the best. Wes Miller, Steve Forbes, and Bob Richey ain't Tony Bennett, Roy Williams, and Coach K.

MY won't get 11 years to build a winner at Tech. I'm not sure he'll get three.
A big disparity was known to me, but I did not realize the extent of the disparity. MY may not get 11 years at VT, nor even 3. But let’s say he survives there only 2 years. That would give him the equivalent earnings that he would have had from the staying next 15 years (to his age 70) at Wofford.
If Wofford cannot afford to keep a coach who succeeds like MY did, then I doubt Furman cannot afford to either. We’ll just do the best we can and support the best we can.
Yes and No.

He will jump a few tax brackets, but I'm sure VaTech has taken care of that.

However, barring it being dependent on incentives to achieve the full amount or some moral turpitude on the part of MY or his staff, the full term is also guaranteed. So, his retirement is set regardless of how many games he actually coaches. Well-done.

I knew he was giving WC the hometown discount, I just didn't realize how significant that discount was. S'burg is an incredibly cheap place to live, so that money goes far there. But still.

SoCon can't compete with that but we shouldn't loose coaches to being an assistant somewhere else or to places like Drake.
Last edited by Fessor on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #13350  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:53 pm
Steve Forbes name coming up a lot for the Tennessee job should Rick Barnes leave to go to UCLA
 #13351  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:01 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 am
Aluma and Goodwin starting at 4 and 5, neither one has ever hit a 3 in their career or even an outside shot that I am aware of lol, we should be able to pack it in on them
Other than Hoover nobody else averaged more than 8ppg, so they still have a lot to prove, and teams will now be able to hound Hoover with their best defender with Magee gone
Murphy is a solid point guard but he will most certainly have to become more of a scorer for them next season, can he make the leap?
What kind of size and depth will they have coming off the bench?
Who is going to be their 5th starter?
Flashes of brilliance from Mounce and being a #1 guy and contributing for 30 - 40 minutes every night are two different things.
 #13353  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 pm
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Aluma and Goodwin starting at 4 and 5, neither one has ever hit a 3 in their career or even an outside shot that I am aware of lol, we should be able to pack it in on them
Other than Hoover nobody else averaged more than 8ppg, so they still have a lot to prove, and teams will now be able to hound Hoover with their best defender with Magee gone
Murphy is a solid point guard but he will most certainly have to become more of a scorer for them next season, can he make the leap?
Flashes of brilliance from Mounce and being a #1 guy and contributing for 30 - 40 minutes every night are two different things.

Fessor, I don't follow
 #13355  by Jasper
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Fessor wrote:
affirm wrote:
I was surprised that MY left. That was before I saw something that has led me to believe that TAMU where Williams has gone pays something in the area of $3 million per year plus great bonuses and great raises, and that VaTech is in the area of $2 million plus bonuses/raises. And I have learned that apparently MY was at $171 thousand at WC, and was offered a raise to around $300 thousand if he’d stay. Glad he didn’t sign the WC raise contract which I suppose would have required VaTech to give WC a small windfall for MY’s buyout.
The money at the top level and the significant disparity with this level are common knowledge.

The expectations are also multiplied and compounded by competing against and recruiting against the best. Wes Miller, Steve Forbes, and Bob Richey ain't Tony Bennett, Roy Williams, and Coach K.

You are correct on all counts, Fessor. The fact that top level schools pay 7 figures for BB coaches is not news. IT was obvious to me that Young would get a top level offer after his performance this year. What would stop a man from taking such a huge jump in pay? Loyalty to "grand old ivy"?? Give me a break.

And now that he is being paid like a big boy, he is going to have to compete with the big boys in recruiting. Does he have those kind of contacts? We'll see.

He'll get 2 years plus one in which they are interviewing his replacement. Chris Mullin, the legend at St. John's, was just given a "vote of confidence by his AD". uh, oh! And he MADE the Big Dance.

But, IMO, Young was absolutely right to take the shot. He's in his late 50's and this is it. There wont be another. If he fails, he can always play out his career at VMI or some such place. At least he knows he had the gonads to give the big time a try. Never up, never in...and all the rest of that cliché BS.
MNORM, Fessor liked this
 #13359  by furpop16
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 pm
Fessor wrote:

@Fessor: to underscore your point, as mentioned elsewhere VTech DID make this year's Sweet-16 AND then lost to #1 Duke by only a bucket. So the definition of "build a winner at Tech" must be an astronomically high expectation.
 #13360  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 pm
Jasper wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Fessor wrote:
affirm wrote:

You are correct on all counts, Fessor. The fact that top level schools pay 7 figures for BB coaches is not news. IT was obvious to me that Young would get a top level offer after his performance this year. What would stop a man from taking such a huge jump in pay? Loyalty to "grand old ivy"?? Give me a break.

And now that he is being paid like a big boy, he is going to have to compete with the big boys in recruiting. Does he have those kind of contacts? We'll see.

He'll get 2 years plus one in which they are interviewing his replacement. Chris Mullin, the legend at St. John's, was just given a "vote of confidence by his AD". uh, oh! And he MADE the Big Dance.

But, IMO, Young was absolutely right to take the shot. He's in his late 50's and this is it. There wont be another. If he fails, he can always play out his career at VMI or some such place. At least he knows he had the gonads to give the big time a try. Never up, never in...and all the rest of that cliché BS.
Agree 100%. No brainer move on his part. He's set.
 #13361  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Fessor, I don't follow
A likely misplaced response to another post comparing Furman's returning starters versus what WC has coming back. Mounce may be a returning starter but I have some concerns whether he can carry the load.

I am rooting for him to dominate.
 #13363  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 pm
Fessor wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fessor wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Fessor, I don't follow
A likely misplaced response to another post comparing Furman's returning starters versus what WC has coming back. Mounce may be a returning starter but I have some concerns whether he can carry the load.

I am rooting for him to dominate.

He will need another jump in the consistency of his game for sure, as will Gurley
Don't you expect Lyons to be the #1 guy offensively next season though?
 #13364  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 pm
He will need another jump in the consistency of his game for sure, as will Gurley
Don't you expect Lyons to be the #1 guy offensively next season though?
No, I'm expecting it to be by committee and then ride the hot hand on a given night.
 #13365  by soconjohn
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 pm
Fessor, are you serious to tell me to take you would take Hoover over Magee? I mean Magee only set an NCAA career record for three-pointers made...I think you might be a closet Wofford fan because that comment makes no sense...Tell me Aluma and Goodwin are better than Jackson now...lol
Last edited by soconjohn on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #13368  by soconjohn
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 pm
"A likely misplaced response to another post comparing Furman's returning starters versus what WC has coming back. Mounce may be a returning starter but I have some concerns whether he can carry the load." wow you can't make this stuff up.