• Mike Young to Va Tech

#13329  by Jasper
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:24 am
Fessor wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:29 pm
I'll believe it when they quote the Mike Young career experts from GoPaladins.com. Until then, this is hearsay.

If true, however, then good for him getting to go back home.
When I said that Young would get a big time offer after his showing this season and would leave Wofford for that kind of money, I was told that he was a true blue terrier and that there was " no way he leaves Wofford". So, you are right to exercise some caution in your congratulations note. :)
 #13330  by fufanatic
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am
I think MY will do a fine job at VT, but I understand why the fans are upset. When the Hokies were awful they hired an elite coach in Buzz Williams from a very good program in Marquette. Now the program is a Sweet 16 team and they hire a mid-major coach - albeit one that has had remarkable success at a very tiny school. Surprised they didn't try to go after a coach from the American, Big East, Mountain West, etc.
 #13332  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:44 am
gman wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 am
tya1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:22 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm
Woffy: Top guard gone, top big man gone, head coach gone

Door is wide open for Furman to make some major noise next season
Congratulations to coach Young and Wofford for their great season and good luck to him with his new job, but this was the first season in four that Wofford finished above the Paladins in the standings. He wasn't keeping the door shut before. UNCG and ETSU have been more troublesome to our championship hopes lately.
I don't share your confidence on how he'll do, but we shall see. He's following one of the best young coaches in America. I don't follow Tech, but on the plus side of following Williams, he may be inheriting a talented team.
There is immediate work to do at VT. They lose almost 50% of their scoring and 66% of their three point shooting to graduation plus their leading scorer has declared for the NBA draft, two other players have announced intentions to transfer, and their highest rated recruit has backed out of his commitment. They have one junior and two sophomores on the team roster if they lose the transfers. If their leading scorer also leaves they would return only one player who averaged more than 3 ppg.

My point being the team that just went undefeated in the socon has now been mostly decimated ;)
Not correct. They had a deep and young bench. The recruiting class for next year was good too. Had Young stayed, I think they would have had another outstanding year. If Jay is hired as HC, they will be a force in the SoCon.

They don't bring anything back that worries me to much, they have some decent players but that's about it
Their two inside guys won't be able to shoot from outside 3 feet at all (Aluma, Goodwin)
And defenses will now be able to dedicate themselves to Hoover with Magee out of the mix
Wofford will be much easier to defend next year
With Mike Young gone now I am not to high on the prospects of that team being able to contend at all next year
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #13333  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 am
Monday wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am
wasn't Gibbs stadium just remodeled?
Was it? Still seemed like a bad HS stadium last time I was there (12/2/17).

Spartanburg High, who shared Gibbs Stadium with the PorchYappers, is moving to a new school with a new stadium (patterned after Mercer's Stadium, I read) this season. Maybe you meant that one. Hey, maybe Woffy will move their games over to Spartan High next Fall. I believe they held some of their Spring practices there this year because Woffy's field was un-usable due to rain.
 #13334  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:49 am
Fessor wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 am
I agree: the Wofford job is a very attractive one. Significant contributors coming back (I might take Hoover over Magee; Magee's NBA chances are greatly exaggerated), talent on the bench, and probably some good recruits lined up. Unless they really rock the boat with the hire, that program is close to being on auto-pilot for next year and maybe the following one as well.

Somewhere Eddie Holbrook is nodding his head "yes".
Eddie is happy in Shelby, NC, I believe.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #13336  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 am
I was surprised that MY left. That was before I saw something that has led me to believe that TAMU where Williams has gone pays something in the area of >$3 million per year plus great bonuses and great raises, and that VaTech is somewhere in the area of $3 million also. And I have learned that apparently MY was at $171 thousand at WC, and was offered a raise to around $300 thousand if he’d stay. Glad he didn’t sign the WC raise contract which I suppose would have required VaTech to give WC a small windfall for MY’s buyout.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #13337  by soconjohn
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am
Here is the difference...Wofford lost two great players...They will no doubt be good next year, however, Furman has four starters back...Yes, Furman lost Rafferty, but return more scoring firepower for next season and have arguably as good of a recruiting class coming in.
QCGlue liked this
 #13338  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 am
Aluma and Goodwin starting at 4 and 5, neither one has ever hit a 3 in their career or even an outside shot that I am aware of lol, we should be able to pack it in on them
Other than Hoover nobody else averaged more than 8ppg, so they still have a lot to prove, and teams will now be able to hound Hoover with their best defender with Magee gone
Murphy is a solid point guard but he will most certainly have to become more of a scorer for them next season, can he make the leap?
What kind of size and depth will they have coming off the bench?
Who is going to be their 5th starter?
soconjohn liked this
 #13339  by Monday
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:25 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 am
Monday wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am
wasn't Gibbs stadium just remodeled?
Was it? Still seemed like a bad HS stadium last time I was there (12/2/17).

Spartanburg High, who shared Gibbs Stadium with the PorchYappers, is moving to a new school with a new stadium (patterned after Mercer's Stadium, I read) this season. Maybe you meant that one. Hey, maybe Woffy will move their games over to Spartan High next Fall. I believe they held some of their Spring practices there this year because Woffy's field was un-usable due to rain.
That was a legitimate question, I thought I heard somewhere they did. What I do know is they have had an NFL team training there for 25+years, so the facilities can't be awful.

I also know that Wofford fans are sad and that's funny. I hope the Richardson Palace has flood insurance, they'll need it with the rivers of tears they're crying.
Affirm liked this
 #13340  by Monday
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Aluma and Goodwin starting at 4 and 5, neither one has ever hit a 3 in their career or even an outside shot that I am aware of lol, we should be able to pack it in on them
Other than Hoover nobody else averaged more than 8ppg, so they still have a lot to prove, and teams will now be able to hound Hoover with their best defender with Magee gone
Murphy is a solid point guard but he will most certainly have to become more of a scorer for them next season, can he make the leap?
They do have Messiah Jones who red shirted this year. He was a 3 star recruit who decomitted from Drake after Niko left. And they have two good recruits plus an open scholarship.
 #13341  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41 am
Monday wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
They do have Messiah Jones who red shirted this year. He was a 3 star recruit who decomitted from Drake after Niko left. And they have two good recruits plus an open scholarship.

Right, so young unproven potential with what might be an unproven coach
Of course anything is possible look what Furman did this year with 3 new starters, but I am just saying for the time being it looks like a pretty big drop off from this season to next for Wofford
 #13342  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am
affirm wrote:
I was surprised that MY left. That was before I saw something that has led me to believe that TAMU where Williams has gone pays something in the area of $3 million per year plus great bonuses and great raises, and that VaTech is in the area of $2 million plus bonuses/raises. And I have learned that apparently MY was at $171 thousand at WC, and was offered a raise to around $300 thousand if he’d stay. Glad he didn’t sign the WC raise contract which I suppose would have required VaTech to give WC a small windfall for MY’s buyout.
The money at the top level and the significant disparity with this level are common knowledge.

The expectations are also multiplied and compounded by competing against and recruiting against the best. Wes Miller, Steve Forbes, and Bob Richey ain't Tony Bennett, Roy Williams, and Coach K.

MY won't get 11 years to build a winner at Tech. I'm not sure he'll get three.
 #13344  by GOAT
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:11 pm
Fessor wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 am
I agree: the Wofford job is a very attractive one. Significant contributors coming back (I might take Hoover over Magee; Magee's NBA chances are greatly exaggerated), talent on the bench, and probably some good recruits lined up. Unless they really rock the boat with the hire, that program is close to being on auto-pilot for next year and maybe the following one as well.

Somewhere Eddie Holbrook is nodding his head "yes".
What does Eddie Holbrook got to do with this?
 #13346  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Fessor wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am
affirm wrote:
I was surprised that MY left. That was before I saw something that has led me to believe that TAMU where Williams has gone pays something in the area of $3 million per year plus great bonuses and great raises, and that VaTech is in the area of $2 million plus bonuses/raises. And I have learned that apparently MY was at $171 thousand at WC, and was offered a raise to around $300 thousand if he’d stay. Glad he didn’t sign the WC raise contract which I suppose would have required VaTech to give WC a small windfall for MY’s buyout.
The money at the top level and the significant disparity with this level are common knowledge.

The expectations are also multiplied and compounded by competing against and recruiting against the best. Wes Miller, Steve Forbes, and Bob Richey ain't Tony Bennett, Roy Williams, and Coach K.

MY won't get 11 years to build a winner at Tech. I'm not sure he'll get three.
A big disparity was known to me, but I did not realize the extent of the disparity. MY may not get 11 years at VT, nor even 3. But let’s say he survives there only 2 years. That would give him the equivalent earnings that he would have had from the staying next 15 years (to his age 70) at Wofford.
If Wofford cannot afford to keep a coach who succeeds like MY did, then I doubt Furman cannot afford to either. We’ll just do the best we can and support the best we can.
Fessor liked this
 #13347  by Paul C
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:25 pm
Here you go, for those that need some perspective on coaches salaries, primarily in the P5 Conferences....although Jay Wright (Nova) and Gregg Marshall (Wichita St), and to a lesser extent Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) are exceptions....

You have to scroll down to #61 before Gonzaga's Mark Few checks in at a paltry $1.8m/year

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... all/coach/

Per Furman's Form 990 for 2016 (most recent year disclosed) Niko Medved made $208k of W-2 wages and another $41k of "other compensation".....