• Mike Young to Va Tech

#13308  by Jasper
 Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:24 pm
Just like I said weeks ago. When a coach gets into the top 25, makes the Big Dance and then WINS a game, it’s not Drake that comes calling. Congrats to the best coach in the SoCon.
 #13309  by Fessor
 Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:29 pm
I'll believe it when they quote the Mike Young career experts from GoPaladins.com. Until then, this is hearsay.

If true, however, then good for him getting to go back home.
Last edited by Fessor on Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #13310  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm
Woffy: Top guard gone, top big man gone, head coach gone

Door is wide open for Furman to make some major noise next season
 #13311  by CharlieFU
 Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:46 pm
Fessor wrote:
I'll believe it when they quote the Mike Young career experts from GoPaladins.com. Until then, this is heresay.

Appears to be true.

I heard from two different people that there was reportedly some “friction” between Young and AD Richard Johnson.

Then again, they have been together for 30 years.

Social media tells me some Hokie fans are not pleased with the hire. I have little doubt that they will be proven wrong.
 #13313  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:56 pm
Woffy fans are not happy with Richard Johnson. Hard to believe that Young's reported salary is $171k which is the worst in the SoCon. Where is Jerry Richardson when you need him?
 #13316  by Fessor
 Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:46 pm
Fessor wrote:
I'll believe it when they quote the Mike Young career experts from GoPaladins.com. Until then, this is heresay.

Appears to be true.

I heard from two different people that there was reportedly some “friction” between Young and AD Richard Johnson.

Then again, they have been together for 30 years.

Social media tells me some Hokie fans are not pleased with the hire. I have little doubt that they will be proven wrong.
I don't share your confidence on how he'll do, but we shall see. He's following one of the best young coaches in America. I don't follow Tech, but on the plus side of following Williams, he may be inheriting a talented team.
 #13318  by tya1
 Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:22 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

Congratulations to coach Young and Wofford for their great season and good luck to him with his new job, but this was the first season in four that Wofford finished above the Paladins in the standings. He wasn't keeping the door shut before. UNCG and ETSU have been more troublesome to our championship hopes lately.
I don't share your confidence on how he'll do, but we shall see. He's following one of the best young coaches in America. I don't follow Tech, but on the plus side of following Williams, he may be inheriting a talented team.
There is immediate work to do at VT. They lose almost 50% of their scoring and 66% of their three point shooting to graduation plus their leading scorer has declared for the NBA draft, two other players have announced intentions to transfer, and their highest rated recruit has backed out of his commitment. They have one junior and two sophomores on the team roster if they lose the transfers. If their leading scorer also leaves they would return only one player who averaged more than 3 ppg.
 #13321  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 am
tya1 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Congratulations to coach Young and Wofford for their great season and good luck to him with his new job, but this was the first season in four that Wofford finished above the Paladins in the standings. He wasn't keeping the door shut before. UNCG and ETSU have been more troublesome to our championship hopes lately.
There is immediate work to do at VT. They lose almost 50% of their scoring and 66% of their three point shooting to graduation plus their leading scorer has declared for the NBA draft, two other players have announced intentions to transfer, and their highest rated recruit has backed out of his commitment. They have one junior and two sophomores on the team roster if they lose the transfers. If their leading scorer also leaves they would return only one player who averaged more than 3 ppg.

My point being the team that just went undefeated in the socon has now been mostly decimated ;)
FUBeAR liked this
 #13322  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 am
Seems ETSU's Forbes could be on the market as well, he interviewed at Arkansas, Arkansas hired the Nevada coach yesterday but there will still be more movement that Forbes could try to get in on

#13324  by gman
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:55 am
tya1 wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

My point being the team that just went undefeated in the socon has now been mostly decimated ;)
Not correct. They had a deep and young bench. The recruiting class for next year was good too. Had Young stayed, I think they would have had another outstanding year. If Jay is hired as HC, they will be a force in the SoCon.
Fessor, Jasper liked this
 #13326  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 am
I agree: the Wofford job is a very attractive one. Significant contributors coming back (I might take Hoover over Magee; Magee's NBA chances are greatly exaggerated), talent on the bench, and probably some good recruits lined up. Unless they really rock the boat with the hire, that program is close to being on auto-pilot for next year and maybe the following one as well.

Somewhere Eddie Holbrook is nodding his head "yes".
Affirm liked this
 #13327  by Monday
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am
If they don't hire Jay Macaulay they run the risk of losing players to transfer, they might anyway but a complete new regime certainly facilitates transfers. But JM might just go to Blacksburg, too. With the whale sized contract MY got, it seems VaTech has money to burn.

The Hokie boards haaate this hire. I don't blame them for questioning it, at face value it seems like a reach. What's also funny is the Wofford boards complaining about their penny-pinching AD. Didn't these people just get a new opulent Bball arena and wasn't Gibbs stadium just remodeled? I don't know, they just sound ungrateful.
QCGlue liked this
 #13328  by Paul C
 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am
I read where they offered Young a raise in the $300k+ range a couple weeks ago and he turned it down. I guess he saw the writing on the wall. For a school like Wofford or FU, paying your basketball coach in the 300k+ range is NOT being cheap.
Fessor liked this