• 2019 Recruiting

#1318  by Paul C
 Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:52 pm
Per his Twitter account we’ve offered 6-8 F Zane Meeks of Shawnee Mission East in Kansas
furpep liked this
 #1319  by furpep
 Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Hope this is true. I think we are seeing a much different recruiting emphasis from Coach Richey, and I love the fact that he is recruiting out of the area. Gotta do that to expand the program.
 #1320  by Flagman
 Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:20 pm
furpep wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm
Hope this is true. I think we are seeing a much different recruiting emphasis from Coach Richey, and I love the fact that he is recruiting out of the area. Gotta do that to expand the program.
Just a year or so ago, we were saying how we needed to recruit more locallly to help build the program.
Affirm, MNORM liked this
 #1321  by tya1
 Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:13 pm
Meeks has one earlier offer from Univ. of Illinois-Chicago and interest from several other schools including Princeton, Cornell, and South Dakota according to Verbal Commits. Shawnee Mission is in the Kansas City area.

From the video I've seen Meeks has a game blending some characteristics of Geoff Beans and Matt Rafferty. He can play a physical inside game or go outside and knock down the three point shots. His range is very impressive and he has a quick, smooth shot . Looks like a solid athlete. One recruiting site rated him as the #5 junior prospect in Kansas recently.

LINK
LINK
 #1323  by PaladinPower
 Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:20 pm
How about Kyle Rode from Kentucky? Per his Twitter he has received a scholarship offer from Furman that I hope he will accept. Not sure. Love the versatile big men recruitment moves.
 #1325  by tya1
 Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 pm
Some info on Kyle Rode -

Rode was an all-state 2nd team selection - ten man team. Also named to the second team were Samford signee Steven Fitzgerald and UNC-Charlotte signee Cooper Robb. Andrew Taylor was named to the 1st team. Furman offeree Adam Kunkel was another on the ten man 1st team.

Verbal Commits lists six earlier offers - Samford, Northern Kentucky, Wright State, New Orleans, Kennesaw State, and Liberty.

Descriptions of his game refer to his ability to play multiple positions from point guard to power forward and his overall shooting and playmaking ability. He hit 86.5% of his FTs this year (115-133) - outstanding shooting at any level of competition.

There is disagreement on how tall he is. Several sites say 6'5" but others list him as 6'6" or 6'7."

LINK
LINK
 #1327  by Fessor
 Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:40 am
tya1 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 pm
Some info on Kyle Rode -

Rode was an all-state 2nd team selection - ten man team. Also named to the second team were Samford signee Steven Fitzgerald and UNC-Charlotte signee Cooper Robb. Andrew Taylor was named to the 1st team. Furman offeree Adam Kunkel was another on the ten man 1st team.

Verbal Commits lists six earlier offers - Samford, Northern Kentucky, Wright State, New Orleans, Kennesaw State, and Liberty.

Descriptions of his game refer to his ability to play multiple positions from point guard to power forward and his overall shooting and playmaking ability. He hit 86.5% of his FTs this year (115-133) - outstanding shooting at any level of competition.

There is disagreement on how tall he is. Several sites say 6'5" but others list him as 6'6" or 6'7."

LINK
LINK

The fact that there are different heights listed kind of says it all about the validity and accuracy of these sites, doesn't it? Is most of the information simply word of mouth? How do Verbal Commits and similar sites make money?
 #1347  by tya1
 Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:00 pm
Fessor wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:40 am

The fact that there are different heights listed kind of says it all about the validity and accuracy of these sites, doesn't it? Is most of the information simply word of mouth? How do Verbal Commits and similar sites make money?
The height differences aren't a huge deal. Verbal Commits gets their info from other sources. I don't think VC goes around with a measuring tape themselves. Also, high school aged kids are still growing. There are some camps that do measurements including heights, weights, reach, leaping ability, times in speed and agility drills, etc.

Some of the recruiting sites actually have multiple possible income streams. For example, the Hoopseen site sponsors camps and tournaments. In the next month they have six listed. Each team has to pay $300-500 as an entry fee. Dozens of teams in each event - times six events - that is income in six figures just for one month. And there will be other months and other tournaments. Then they can sell newsletters and online subscriptions to fans who want info on the players and who is recruiting them. And finally, the big money maker, they can sell more in depth info on the players to the schools and college coaches. During the open recruiting periods when college coaches can go to these events they can charge hundreds of dollars each for hundreds of coaches to watch.
Fessor liked this
 #1351  by furpep
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:16 am
Well, at least I never promoted the recruit local to build the program. Need program to expand recruiting area, which helps both the program and the university to get its name out.
 #1354  by youwouldno
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:10 pm
furpep wrote:
Well, at least I never promoted the recruit local to build the program. Need program to expand recruiting area, which helps both the program and the university to get its name out.
I don't see how recruiting mid-major prospects from a particular state helps Furman "get its name out" in a meaningful way, outside of high school basketball circles at least. Spending the plane ticket money on web ads would do a better job of that.

Anyway, geography isn't an either/or thing . . . for instance, it's much more practical to scout 'sleepers' like Clay Mounce if they are relatively local. But on the other hand, coaches need to go to where the players are that fit with the university and program. It's much more art than science.
 #1355  by Monday
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:10 pm
furpep wrote:
I don't see how recruiting mid-major prospects from a particular state helps Furman "get its name out" in a meaningful way, outside of high school basketball circles at least. Spending the plane ticket money on web ads would do a better job of that.

Anyway, geography isn't an either/or thing . . . for instance, it's much more practical to scout 'sleepers' like Clay Mounce if they are relatively local. But on the other hand, coaches need to go to where the players are that fit with the university and program. It's much more art than science.
It helps tremendously to get our name out. Mid major prospects are usually the best player in their school or region.

So, when someone like Mike Bothwell or Andrew Taylor comes to town and runs your team out of the gym, people ask, "Where's he going to play?" Any press write-up about those same recruits always mentions Furman. Plus, all the students in the recruits' school now know our name.

Lacrosse has spread Furman's name by recruiting outside the South.

Also, you pluck a kid out of KY, KS, OH, wherever; that strengthens your chances of getting another kid from the same area.

Another way a strong basketball program helps the school.
MNORM liked this
 #1356  by youwouldno
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:10 pm
Monday wrote:
It helps tremendously to get our name out. Mid major prospects are usually the best player in their school or region.

So, when someone like Mike Bothwell or Andrew Taylor comes to town and runs your team out of the gym, people ask, "Where's he going to play?" Any press write-up about those same recruits always mentions Furman. Plus, all the students in the recruits' school now know our name.

Also, you pluck a kid out of KY, KS, OH, wherever; that strengthens your chances of getting another kid from the same area.

Furman could just buy google ads on the websites of the papers in those various locales. It would be cheap. I'm not aware of any real evidence that Furman recruits produce a broader impact beyond their (important) individual role as a student-athlete.

To put it another way, there are articles and tweets that mention Furman, but seeing the name and actually matriculating are vastly different things. Furman is universally known to exist in the upstate of South Carolina, but what % of students in the region actually apply?
 #1357  by Monday
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Monday wrote:

Furman could just buy google ads on the websites of the papers in those various locales. It would be cheap. I'm not aware of any real evidence that Furman recruits produce a broader impact beyond their (important) individual role as a student-athlete.

To put it another way, there are articles and tweets that mention Furman, but seeing the name and actually matriculating are vastly different things. Furman is universally known to exist in the upstate of South Carolina, but what % of students in the region actually apply?
Do you want to be known as a school on a bunch of Google ads? And what resonates with a 17 or 18 year old more, seeing a Google ad for Furman or finding out the star basketball player is going there?
 #1358  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 pm
Monday wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Monday wrote:

what resonates with a 17 or 18 year old more, seeing a Google ad for Furman or finding out the star basketball player is going there?
The correct answer is C)

Being excited as heck to get to my new school in the Fall & participate in my 1st Student Tailgate before I form up with the masses to enter the hallowed grounds - my school’s football stadium - and truly become a bona fide and active part of that special majesty - College Football!
 #1360  by Monday
 Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 pm
The correct answer is C)

Being excited as heck to get to my new school in the Fall & participate in my 1st Student Tailgate before I form up with the masses to enter the hallowed grounds - my school’s football stadium - and truly become a bona fide and active part of that special majesty - College Football!
[/quote]

And then leave with the masses at halftime.