• 2019 Recruiting

#13177  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 pm
"Hendersonville lost just two regular-season games last season."
"Beeker was instrumental in that run. The big man averaged 17.6 points per game and 13 rebounds per game. On top of that, despite being a post player, he averaged 3.5 assists and 2.2 steals per game to go along with 2.2 blocks per game."
 #13181  by tya1
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 pm
Many of Beeker's high school games are posted on YouTube for anyone who is interested in doing their own scouting evaluations. From what I've seen, he has good hands, agility, and runs the court well. Passing the ball and defensive rebounding are strengths of his game. His biggest weakness is, well, strength. He often gets swarmed and bumped when he gets the ball at the low post and needs more upper body and core strength. His high school team has a lot of movement on offense and Beeker often would be at the high post. Not enough examples to tell how good a perimeter shooter he is but it was a college style offense.

Good prospect. Might be a good redshirt possibility while he muscles up.

I like the way this sets us up for further recruiting. Two scholarships still in hand. Beeker provides some depth up front which lets us be more selective. I would still like another big man and a guard/wing but we have flexibility and can focus on talent level more than position or save spots for next year's recruiting.
hypercycloid and 1 others liked this
 #13185  by Paul C
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:45 pm
From HoopSeen

6’9 F Ben Beeker (Hendersonville HS)-The long and athletic Beeker is a legitimate threat to be a stretch-four at the next level. He can consistently knock down the long jumper and can bring the ball into the post and score. He does a really good job of running the floor and filling the lanes. He is an above-average rebounder and blocks a lot of shots.
 #13190  by Fuonetime
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:29 am
Love this pick up. Ben Beeker is a true scholar athlete. He gets an academic ride and we still have 2 BB scholarships to award. I love the quote by legendary former HC of Utah Jazz Frank Layden regarding 7’4” Mark Eaton, “you can’t coach height.” Hope CBR can land another big. Maybe we can break the 6’9” barrier and find someone 6’10” or more.
 #13193  by Monday
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:10 am
Ben Beeker - full academic ride
Jonny Lawrence- class valedictorian
Marcus Foster - from a very respected ATL charter

We've got the brains in this class, maybe now there's some leeway to get Alex Karras' Mongo with a jump shot.
 #13195  by fufanatic
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:28 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
"Beeker was instrumental in that run. The big man averaged 17.6 points per game and 13 rebounds per game. On top of that, despite being a post player, he averaged 3.5 assists and 2.2 steals per game to go along with 2.2 blocks per game."
Matt Rafferty lite?
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #13200  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:59 am
fufanatic wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Matt Rafferty lite?
Indeed, that's what I thought when I first saw those numbers as well, if he is as tough and hard working as Matt then you just never know, anything is possible :D
 #13201  by Paul C
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:00 pm
fufanatic wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Matt Rafferty lite?
Funny, I thought the same thing but didn't post it as I was worried folks would think I was saying he was Matt's equal. I see a player with maybe a little more length and athleticism than Matt, but with alot of same qualities. He sees the floor, he's patient....as has been said, probably needs some time to adjust to a much higher level of competition (like fellow Fr Marcus Foster) but with a couple years of season could be a similar style player to Matt (of course I don't expect the same level of production....)
 #13205  by MNORM
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:14 pm
With Beeker and Lawrence, we now have two 6'9" F/Cs for the incoming class. Slawson and Gurley will both be Sophomores next year...we're getting longer and more athletic. I could definitely see red-shirting Beeker so he can gain some upper body strength.
I wouldn't be surprised if we keep one scholarship in our back pocket for the 2020 class.

David Skogman has recent offers from Nebraska, Vanderbilt and Minnesota. He now has 21 DI offers, including one from Final Four Texas Tech. I think our chances of getting the 6'10" Center are slim to none, and our coaching staff is looking at "alternatives".
Zane Meeks received recent offers from both UMKC and Ohio University. His prep team, Brewster, won the National Prep Championship last month. He's another 6'9" F that can shoot the 3 and stretch the floor.
 #13206  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 pm
Yep one more 6'8 or taller guy ready to contribute next season would be perfect! (ie. Zane Meeks, ect.)

And unless a stud guard comes along save the other scholarship and sign two guys next year (as Lyons is the only senior)

Redshirt Beeker and Foster next year most likely

Rock and roll with the other 11 scholarship guys gunning for the title next season!
 #13209  by Paul C
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:20 pm
FWIW, I think Colin Kenney has the best chance of any of the 3 to meaningfully contribute next year.