• Furman: Please change Spring Break to fall on different date as SoCon tournament

#13145  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:21 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:50 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:09 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:16 am
Bootie wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 am
It's interesting to me, dr, that you keep bouncing this topic to the top as though it hasn't gotten the attention or comments you want it to have. If you really want to get this idea in front of the administration and possibly see some results or be informed otherwise, I suppose some of them MIGHT stumble across it here, but you'd be better off contacting them directly.

This is extremely important
Gonna keep this near the top of the Basketball section until Furman does the right thing and gets the dates changed
DR,
Would you be willing and able to find and post on here how the spring break dates for Furman differ from each or at least several of the following schools:
USC
Clemson
College of Charleston
UGA
UNC-CH
Winthrop
?
I don’t know what all the factors are relating to determining when spring break for Furman occurs. Nevertheless, being able to compare with such other schools might possibly be of interest to the people who frequent this board thinking about this.
Also, exactly what dates would YOU move Furman’s spring break to? And what would such a move impact, other than how many Furman students can likely attend SoCon Tournament (what are the potential downsides)?

Furman Spring break begins next year on Friday March 6th 2020
https://www.furman.edu/academics/university-calendar/

The SoCon tournament next year is March 6th through March 9th 2020

Furman Spring break needs to be adjusted to the following week to begin on March 13th 2020

All you do is switch the week that events take place for those 2 weeks, very simple when done nearly a year in advance
DR,
You did not answer the request for spring break dates for those 6 schools I listed. This would be potentially relevant to the discussion.

All you do is look them up using google, they all have different dates for spring break
Of course! But I’m asking you to do that and list them on here. If you’re not willing to do that little amount of work to advance the discussion, then it’s a sign there’s not much of a discussion from your point of view.

Its not a sign of anything and its a pointless in-devour that will prove nothing

I have already looked them up
USC is early March, Clemson is mid March, Wofford is late March (all falling on different dates)

I have already pointed out the major reasons why Furman must change their schedule so don't tell me about advancing the discussion, I am the one who brought it up and I am the one pushing it because its obviously needed badly
The only point that matters for Furman is that Furman's should not fall on the same week as the SoCon tournament, that is the only point that matters at all
 #13146  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:48 pm
No thanks to DR, I looked up the 2020 dates for the 3 biggest SC colleges. CU, USC, CofC all have theirs beginning March 15 next year. So yeah, it’s not like others do not have theirs mid-March, and I do wonder why Furman could not do the same. [Wofford is somewhat irrelevant in this since their Spring semester starts quite late due to their minimester in January (“Interim”, January 2-31).]
 #13147  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:21 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:48 pm
Not waiting for DR to do it Dr me, I looked up the 2020 dates for the 3 biggest SC colleges. CU, USC, CofC all have theirs beginning March 15 next year. So yeah, it’s not like others do not have theirs mid-March, and I do wonder why Furman could not do the same. [Wofford is somewhat irrelevant in this since their Spring semester starts quite late due to their minimester in January (“Interim”, January 2-31).]
 #13152  by paladinfan12
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 am
When I was a student the tournament being on spring break was the reason I was able to make it. I had better things to do most Saturdays in the spring at Furman.

I would start by providing the bus on the weekend it is now and see if students some. If they still don't come then MAYBE there is an argument to adjust the entire academic calendar for this thing.
 #13153  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:50 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
When I was a student the tournament being on spring break was the reason I was able to make it. I had better things to do most Saturdays in the spring at Furman.

I would start by providing the bus on the weekend it is now and see if students some. If they still don't come then MAYBE there is an argument to adjust the entire academic calendar for this thing.

It has already been proven they are going home or on vacation for spring break, that's just the nature of college kids and spring break. They tried to get a bus this past tournament (although last minute which is typical Furman as well) and did not amount to anything because most Furman students live far away

The only way we can bus a ton of them up there is for them to be in school first
That is why this must change, flipping spring break to one week later is not asking much at all, its one of the smallest things the school can do to show support for the basketball program which can become a huge front porch for the university in not only athletics but other avenues as well financially/academically/ect.

Breeding a culture change where students not only attend the tournament now but carries over into their adults lives could pay huge dividends in the long run, its a big deal
 #13156  by MNORM
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:05 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

It has already been proven they are going home or on vacation for spring break, that's just the nature of college kids and spring break. They tried to get a bus this past tournament (although last minute which is typical Furman as well) and did not amount to anything because most Furman students live far away

The only way we can bus a ton of them up there is for them to be in school first
That is why this must change, flipping spring break to one week later is not asking much at all, its one of the smallest things the school can do to show support for the basketball program which can become a huge front porch for the university in not only athletics but other avenues as well financially/academically/ect.

Breeding a culture change where students not only attend the tournament now but carries over into their adults lives could pay huge dividends in the long run, its a big deal
Sounds like you should bring this up to the Furman administration. Beating this dead horse every few hours on GoPaladins.com isn't making a bit of difference.
 #13159  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:34 pm
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

Sounds like you should bring this up to the Furman administration. Beating this dead horse every few hours on GoPaladins.com isn't making a bit of difference.

This has been brought up to them for several years now and will continue to be brought up to them

Its already making a difference to have it here as well as more people are talking about it
I am going to keep it here and active as well as this is the most visible public place to keep them on notice and on the spot until they do finally change it
 #13160  by MNORM
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:55 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

This has been brought up to them for several years now and will continue to be brought up to them

Its already making a difference as more people are talking about it
I am going to keep it here and active as well as this is the most visible public place to keep them on notice and on the spot until they do finally change it
Suit yourself...your bandwidth. Unfortunately, while you may think this board is the most visible public place, the exposure is really limited to those you see on here everyday (and a few lurkers)...and none of us work for the university. Send emails to Mike Buddie, President Davis and Connie Carson. Repeating the same mantra every couple of hours and "bumping" topics is frankly just annoying. I've completed my survey, I've emailed administration, I've even brought it up face to face to someone who may (or may not) hold some sway...have you?
 #13161  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 pm
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

Suit yourself...your bandwidth. Unfortunately, while you may think this board is the most visible public place, the exposure is really limited to those you see on here everyday...and none of us work for the university. Send emails to Mike Buddie, President Davis and Connie Carson. Repeating the same mantra every couple of hours and "bumping" topics is frankly just annoying. I've completed my survey, I've emailed administration, I've even brought it up face to face to someone who may (or may not) hold some sway...have you?
More people view this website than you realize, and yes it is 100% the most visible public place
Not sure why you are telling me to message others like you are telling me something new, I have already stated at least 5 times that of course other avenues to contact admin have been used and will continue to be used, and this will also continue to be one of them as well (just part of my initiative to finally get this dilemma fixed)(tired of the pitiful Furman tourney attendance year after year and seemingly nobody at Furman does anything to change that)
I have not been bumping this every couple hours, I have been responding to people mostly.
But I sure won't hesitate to keep bumping it in the future to keep Furman on the spot until they make the proper change.
 #13163  by GOAT
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:12 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

Suit yourself...your bandwidth. Unfortunately, while you may think this board is the most visible public place, the exposure is really limited to those you see on here everyday...and none of us work for the university. Send emails to Mike Buddie, President Davis and Connie Carson. Repeating the same mantra every couple of hours and "bumping" topics is frankly just annoying. I've completed my survey, I've emailed administration, I've even brought it up face to face to someone who may (or may not) hold some sway...have you?
More people view this website than you realize, and yes it is 100% the most visible public place
Not sure why you are telling me to message others like you are telling me something new, I have already stated at least 5 times that of course other avenues to contact admin have been used and will continue to be used, and this will also continue to be one of them as well (just part of my initiative to finally get this dilemma fixed)(tired of the pitiful Furman tourney attendance year after year and seemingly nobody at Furman does anything to change that)
I have not been bumping this every couple hours, I have been responding to people mostly.
But I sure won't hesitate to keep bumping it in the future to keep Furman on the spot until they make the proper change.
You started this thread by saying you had been working on this issue for 4 years. What you are doing on this board is not normal. Go for a walk, jog or just get some exercise. Relax. Stay off this board and any others you go for at least a week. If you need help, seek it out. I have never known any FU decisions to be made based on what was posted on this board. Try really hard not to reply to this post. If you must reply wait until tomorrow. Good luck.
 #13164  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:19 pm
GOAT wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:12 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
MNORM wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:

You started this thread by saying you had been working on this issue for 4 years. What you are doing on this board is not normal. Go for a walk, jog or just get some exercise. Relax. Stay off this board and any others you go for at least a week. If you need help, seek it out. I have never known any FU decisions to be made based on what was posted on this board. Try really hard not to reply to this post. If you must reply wait until tomorrow. Good luck.

Give me a break, how about you try harder not to reply to me if you can't handle the topic

Change is coming and it will be for the better, you can thank me later ;)
 #13169  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:29 pm
Jasper wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:42 pm
Welcome to...………......THE TWILIGHT ZONE. (theme music playing in background) SCARE-REE.

Lol :D
That's exactly the point, that's what this thread should feel like as its ridiculous that Furman has not done anything in the past couple years to get things properly sorted out with their academic calendar
 #13171  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:50 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:43 pm
Email this guy.

Athletics.Director@Furman.edu

and unless you have the ear of him, Dr. Davis, or someone on the Board of Trustees posting on this board will not gain any more attention. To change an ACADEMIC calendar you need to be in the ears of people who are academics.

Agreed, I never disagreed with this point, but having it here as well sure as heck does not hurt and gets the general Furman populace in on it as well a little more than otherwise, I know several that have decided to include it in their survey, so I see it as a useful tool ;)