• Furman: Please change Spring Break to fall on different date as SoCon tournament

#13121  by Bootie
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:57 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:16 am
Bootie wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 am
It's interesting to me, dr, that you keep bouncing this topic to the top as though it hasn't gotten the attention or comments you want it to have. If you really want to get this idea in front of the administration and possibly see some results or be informed otherwise, I suppose some of them MIGHT stumble across it here, but you'd be better off contacting them directly.

This is extremely important
Gonna keep this near the top of the Basketball section until Furman does the right thing and gets the dates changed
DR,
Would you be willing and able to find and post on here how the spring break dates for Furman differ from each or at least several of the following schools:
USC
Clemson
College of Charleston
UGA
UNC-CH
Winthrop
?
I don’t know what all the factors are relating to determining when spring break for Furman occurs. Nevertheless, being able to compare with such other schools might possibly be of interest to the people who frequent this board thinking about this.
Also, exactly what dates would YOU move Furman’s spring break to? And what would such a move impact, other than how many Furman students can likely attend SoCon Tournament (what are the potential downsides)?

Furman Spring break begins next year on Friday March 6th 2020
https://www.furman.edu/academics/university-calendar/

The SoCon tournament next year is March 6th through March 9th 2020

Furman Spring break needs to be adjusted to the following week to begin on March 13th 2020

All you do is switch the week that events take place for those 2 weeks, very simple when done nearly a year in advance
DR, I don't mean to try to rain on your parade or squash your attempt at a solution here, but I'm guessing you've never been on the inside of a large organization planning dates and events. When someone says, "...all you do is switch the week..." it means they're kind of clueless as to the countless things that impact calendaring, especially for an entity as large as a university. There are so many things that factor into this other than just the basketball schedule. They likely plan the calendar 1-2 years in advance. We plan over a year in advance where I work, and moving something from one week to the next can easily cause all sorts of chaos and restructuring. Good luck with your progress, but again, you'll get more results by actually talking with someone in the administration than discussing it among fans here.
 #13122  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:09 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:
It's interesting to me, dr, that you keep bouncing this topic to the top as though it hasn't gotten the attention or comments you want it to have. If you really want to get this idea in front of the administration and possibly see some results or be informed otherwise, I suppose some of them MIGHT stumble across it here, but you'd be better off contacting them directly.

Gonna keep this near the top of the Basketball section until Furman does the right thing and gets the dates changed
DR,
Would you be willing and able to find and post on here how the spring break dates for Furman differ from each or at least several of the following schools:
USC
Clemson
College of Charleston
UGA
UNC-CH
Winthrop
?
I don’t know what all the factors are relating to determining when spring break for Furman occurs. Nevertheless, being able to compare with such other schools might possibly be of interest to the people who frequent this board thinking about this.
Also, exactly what dates would YOU move Furman’s spring break to? And what would such a move impact, other than how many Furman students can likely attend SoCon Tournament (what are the potential downsides)?

Furman Spring break needs to be adjusted to the following week to begin on March 13th 2020

All you do is switch the week that events take place for those 2 weeks, very simple when done nearly a year in advance
DR,
You did not answer the request for spring break dates for those 6 schools I listed. This would be potentially relevant to the discussion.
 #13124  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:

DR,
USC
Clemson
College of Charleston
UGA
UNC-CH
Winthrop
?

DR,
You did not answer the request for spring break dates for those 6 schools I listed. This would be potentially relevant to the discussion.

All you do is look them up using google, they all have different dates for spring break
 #13125  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:25 pm
Some of you are right in line with the typical Furman excuses to be lazy about being proactive and changing things for the better, those typical excuses will not discourage me one bit

This needs to be done now as we are still nearly a year away, Furman must not sleep on this as it should be a priority, no more being lazy with the calendar and not adjusting things, time to make the necessary changes

Furman admin have been notified of course various times over the past several years, they also read this board a lot more than some of you apparently realize
This will remain at the top of the discussion until Furman makes the proper changes
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #13126  by Flagman
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm
Maybe the SoCon tournament needs to moved back one week. That would allow it to coincide with all other conference tournaments. We didn't gain any advantage from the family of ESPN networks by having it when we do. It was still on ESPN+. We were just fortunate in our area to get it on a local channel. I'm wondering if it was also available on a local channel in every market of the SoCon.
 #13127  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:27 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm
Maybe the SoCon tournament needs to moved back one week. That would allow it to coincide with all other conference tournaments. We didn't gain any advantage from the family of ESPN networks by having it when we do. It was still on ESPN+. We were just fortunate in our area to get it on a local channel. I'm wondering if it was also available on a local channel in every market of the SoCon.

The championship game was on ESPN at 7pm

And Furman would still be on spring break lol, its perfect as is and all Furman needs to do is flip the weeks on its calendar now while they have time in advance to do so
 #13132  by fufanatic
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:34 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:33 pm
It's pretty hard to erase those stone tablets on which future schedules are written.

Lazy is more the reason and has been for the past couple years

Its 11 months from now, flip the weeks
There is 0 percent chance that it's changed for next year. Academic calendars are planned out well in advance. Your best bet would be an email to the provost about the 2020-21 calendar that probably hasn't been set in stone yet. Here you go: https://www.furman.edu/people/george-c-shields.

Good luck!
 #13133  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:11 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:34 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:33 pm
It's pretty hard to erase those stone tablets on which future schedules are written.

Lazy is more the reason and has been for the past couple years

Its 11 months from now, flip the weeks
There is 0 percent chance that it's changed for next year. Academic calendars are planned out well in advance. Your best bet would be an email to the provost about the 2020-21 calendar that probably hasn't been set in stone yet. Here you go: https://www.furman.edu/people/george-c-shields.

Good luck!

That's the whole point of this, to get things changed ASAP
Furman has sat on their butts for the last couple of years when it comes to this
This is extremely important, I will keep this thread up near the top of the discussion until the time comes when things are finally changed, whenever that day comes
 #13135  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:45 pm
We talk about this stuff all the time, its all about building culture

Making sure a large student turnout at the tournament (have them in school, and bus them up) is not only great for the current student body, it will breed them as fans that want to attend the tournament again and again long after they are done with school at Furman

Having a great crowd at the tournament will play a big role in our success moving forward

We have turned a blind eye to this for far too long and our crowd attendance at the Tourney has suffered for far too long, its time to plan ahead and change these things for the better, which will help to breed more successes moving forward
 #13144  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:50 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:

DR,
USC
Clemson
College of Charleston
UGA
UNC-CH
Winthrop
?

DR,

All you do is look them up using google, they all have different dates for spring break
Of course! But I’m asking you to do that and list them on here. If you’re not willing to do that little amount of work to advance the discussion, then it’s a sign there’s not much of a discussion from your point of view.