• Andrew Brown Surgery

#1271  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:52 pm
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week ...

Hopefully Andrew has no more surgery in his immediate future, but he's still at high risk in the short term for some major complications.

Scary stuff. Hopefully, each day is better than the day before.
FU69 liked this
 #1272  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:12 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:04 pm
Thanks for the link. The Facebook posts didn't quite answer the most pressing question that I couldn't stomach to ask on a public forum, which is that I'm glad he's past the point of life threatening. I never like to blame doctors, but I would be curious to now how this type of mistake happens. I'm sure Andrew is just ready to get back out on the court and in the classroom after a scary week or so.
The holy grail of medical care for patients is a provider's complication rate (adjusted for the severity of cases the provider sees - the best doc's often see the sickest, most complicated cases). The other interesting aspect of Andrew's case is that, he not only had a complication, but he apparently then was sent home with that complication; could that have been prevented? It's entirely possible that in all respects the providers' actions here were within a reasonable standard of care. I share your skepticism, however.

Also, did all of this happen at a GHS satellite hospital or at the main hospital? If I'm septic, I don't want to be at the satellite hospital. I'd bet the procedure was at GHS and the sepsis initially was managed at the local satellite given the urgency and proximity to the Brown's home.

There is an epidemic of medical errors in this country and it's not new. It's been a recognized problem for over 20 years. With medical schools proliferating to meet an MD shortage, the problem is getting worse not better.
 #1292  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:05 pm
I don’t know much about medical stuff, but I do know doctors shouldn’t make this type of error.
 #1294  by Fessor
 Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 pm
soconjohn wrote:
I don’t know much about medical stuff, but I do know doctors shouldn’t make this type of error.
Hard to argue when the treatment causes illness worse than the one you were trying to prevent.
 #1295  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 pm
Fessor wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Thanks for the link. The Facebook posts didn't quite answer the most pressing question that I couldn't stomach to ask on a public forum, which is that I'm glad he's past the point of life threatening. I never like to blame doctors, but I would be curious to now how this type of mistake happens. I'm sure Andrew is just ready to get back out on the court and in the classroom after a scary week or so.
The holy grail of medical care for patients is a provider's complication rate (adjusted for the severity of cases the provider sees - the best doc's often see the sickest, most complicated cases). The other interesting aspect of Andrew's case is that, he not only had a complication, but he apparently then was sent home with that complication; could that have been prevented? It's entirely possible that in all respects the providers' actions here were within a reasonable standard of care. I share your skepticism, however.

Also, did all of this happen at a GHS satellite hospital or at the main hospital? If I'm septic, I don't want to be at the satellite hospital. I'd bet the procedure was at GHS and the sepsis initially was managed at the local satellite given the urgency and proximity to the Brown's home.

There is an epidemic of medical errors in this country and it's not new. It's been a recognized problem for over 20 years. With medical schools proliferating to meet an MD shortage, the problem is getting worse not better.
Pretty sure the original surgery was at the TR satellite hospital. His mother stated they had to make the decision to transfer him to Memorial where he would have a team of Doctors.
FU69 liked this
 #1297  by CharlieFU
 Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:05 am
I am not comfortable speculating about the circumstances of Andrew’s medical situation. I did want people to know he was struggling so they could remember him and his family, send a card, etc.
gman84, GOAT, FU69 liked this
 #1298  by Bootie
 Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:40 am
Fessor wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Hard to argue when the treatment causes illness worse than the one you were trying to prevent.
When you cut open someone's body to work on it, things can go wrong. Doctors are human, and humans make mistakes. I don't think the expectation should ever be that humans, even professional ones, shouldn't make mistakes.
Jasper liked this
 #1303  by gman
 Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:31 pm
Latest Facebook post. “Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. It is hard. Because Andrew’s stomach is still Filling with bile as the intestines are backed up, he could
Not get the NG tube out today. This was discouraging news. His stomach is still too distended and hard. His white blood count is slowly creeping up so the doctors are watching for more infection. His last pain meds were in the middle of tues night and he is beginning to get a little feisty! He was threatening to pour out half the container of “pond algae “ so no one would know how much was actually in there. 😁
He is requiring less O2 support and is keeping his O2 levels in a pretty good place.
We are working on redecorating the room with your verses and these colorful banners from some of our 3rd-5th grade geography class at Upstate Homeschool Co-op (Kirin Mitchell) I caught several doctors reading the verses on the walls while they were in the room today which made me smile.
During the afternoon walk, Andrew said he just wanted to see a tree. Matt Rafferty surveyed the hospital corridor until he found just the right spot where he could look out the window .... and see a beautifully blooming tree.
This morning as I was getting ready for the day and crying out to Jesus for healing, I looked up and saw a picture in my head. The only other time in my life I have ever seen this very same hand reaching down was years ago when I was so sick.
In the center of a group of people from all walks of life was this situation with Andrew. They were holding, watching, standing, leaning and around them was God’s hand —shaping, molding, pressing with something similar to play doh or clay. A little strange but yet, I feel like that is what is happening to us as we stand by and love this son. Hopefully we are being shaped to not look like anything my flesh wants to scream out and be but more like what God wants. And then about 45 min later, my friend Alyssa P Lancaster , sent me this verse superimposed over the picture of me holding Andrew’s hand after the second surgery last Thursday. Nothing more needs to be said.” Rex Brown
 #1304  by Jasper
 Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 pm
Fessor wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Pretty sure the original surgery was at the TR satellite hospital. His mother stated they had to make the decision to transfer him to Memorial where he would have a team of Doctors.
Just spoke with a friend who worked in the ER at North Greenville - which I presume was the TR satellite hospital to which you refer. They dont do surgery at that facility according to him.
 #1313  by gman
 Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:34 am
Latest from Andrew’s mom.

“It was a good day. Day 11 of this journey. The mornings are slow for me arriving at the hospital because It takes me an awful lot of Jesus to start these days. Andrew has great friends(and a dad) who are willing to take turns at the hospital overnight to allow me to sleep. No set backs today and the smile on this boy’s face...... it doesn’t need many words.
However, the story behind this picture might. Andrew’s friend Cole Patterson had surgery for a broken foot and now gets to scoot around on this fun little rolling contraption. Poor Andrew Tooty Van Norden and Katie Landreth who had to walk their 21 year old friends around the hospital “walking track” with a walker and a scooter. 😂
We had lots of baby therapy today since we are in the “Presidential suite” and have room to move around. Doesn’t everyone bring their “bask-y-ball” to the hospital?
He held down 3 lemon icees today but we’ll take it! Some days things seem not very important but other days they are miraculous! Perspective is important.
He will have a CT scan this morning around 4am. Please pray the infection can be located and dealt with conservatively.”
dornb, QCGlue, FU69 liked this
 #1328  by gman
 Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 am
From Andrew’s mom.

“Another glorious day of steps forward! Somehow Andrew was allowed eggs, grits, meatloaf, mashed potatoes to eat today! Yes! Only Able To do a few bites at a time But we will Take it. His white blood count has dropped again which is also good news. Barring any infection setting in, we think he can come home some time This week. Was reading this earlier today from Paul Tripp. He has shaped much of my thinking over the years. That last paragraph...... convicting.”
MNORM, QCGlue liked this
 #1346  by FU03times
 Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:32 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
I am not comfortable speculating about the circumstances of Andrew’s medical situation. I did want people to know he was struggling so they could remember him and his family, send a card, etc.
To what address can we send cards? I have been following his news through his mother’s Facebook page but I’d also love to send him a handwritten note and unfortunately I’m not in town to take it to the hospital myself.
 #1371  by gman
 Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:22 pm
FU03times wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:32 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
To what address can we send cards? I have been following his news through his mother’s Facebook page but I’d also love to send him a handwritten note and unfortunately I’m not in town to take it to the hospital myself.
Send it to the Furman basketball office.
FU03times liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.