• Furman: Please change Spring Break to fall on different date as SoCon tournament

#12732  by gman
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:12 am
The e-mail was sent out yesterday morning. I received it at 9:10 a.m. Click on the embedded link for access to the survey.

Furman Athletics
March 21, 2019

Dear Fans,

Thank you for making the 2018-2019 season in Timmons Arena so memorable. With your support, we sent the winningest class in Furman Basketball history out with a 13-3 home record in front of several sell-out crowds.

All told, this senior class was 51-11 in Timmons Arena over the last four years.

Additionally, this Paladin team eclipsed the regular season wins record that was set last year and set the total single season wins record with 25.

This team spent three weeks ranked in the AP Top 25, peaking as high as No. 23 after starting the season 12-0 and beating two of last year’s Final Four teams, including defending champion Villanova.

Individually, Jordan Lyons eclipsed 1,000 career points and set the single season three-point record (105) and Matt Rafferty set the single season steals record (84) and eclipsed 1,000 career points.

None of this would be possible without YOU! We are always trying to improve the game day experience for fans at Timmons Arena. That being said, we’d like to solicit your feedback about your experience at Timmons Arena this season. If you could spare a few minutes, please consider filling out our survey at the following link:

https://goo.gl/forms/zmpgsVtS9oFchU5G3

Thanks again for your support,

Furman Basketball
 #12736  by MNORM
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:20 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 am
Flagman wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 am
gman wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am
Furman basketball just sent out a survey via e-mail. I urge every fan to take the time to complete it.
Where is those survey of which you speak? I didn’t get one.
I have that same question.
Just completed my survey. The email ended up in my Junk box.
 #12743  by GOAT
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:00 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 am
I disagree. Furman doesn't need to rework its academic calendar around a basketball tournament for a few students.

We're a school, not a fan squad.

You absolutely could not be more wrong, asking a simple thing from the Administration like this is the smallest thing they can do to help the basketball program and requires shifting spring break by 1 week, so simple a cave man can do it
Shifting spring break affects tons of activities that are planned around the school's annual calendar. The SoCon tournament is only one gear in a gigantic conglomerate of activities that affect when classes are held.

You are being vague, can you be more specific as to what difficulties this will entail to shift spring break 1 week?
So we will move spring break to mid-march and tell the following groups to reorganize their spring schedules because of a basketball tournament 1.5 hours away that we want them to go to. The following events take place after/during spring break and now have 25% less time to schedule all their activities.

Classes
Mid-term exams & final exams (spring break always half a semester)
Music Department Concerts/Oratorios
Board of Trustees Meetings
Student Life Events (End of year formals, trips, celebrations, banquets, etc.)
Relay for Life
Admissions Deadlines (Several students work for admissions)
Accepted students days and spring tours (Several students are tour guides)
Easter Holidays
Graduate School Interviews
High School Scholarship Interview weekend

If students wanted to go to the tournament they would go, regardless of when spring break is.

Thanks for making my point, nothing that can't easily be adjusted
All you do is shift everything 1 week, it could not be any more simple, if the Administration supports this basketball program they will make the adjustment, I hope they do because it is a MUST
How many students do think will go to Asheville if we change spring break. From what I saw on this board, many posters were not happy with student turn out for most home games. There is no history of large number of students going to the tournament and it is not because of spring break. It has to do with winning. Win baby and the fans will come.
 #12746  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:13 am
GOAT wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:00 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 am
I disagree. Furman doesn't need to rework its academic calendar around a basketball tournament for a few students.

We're a school, not a fan squad.

You absolutely could not be more wrong, asking a simple thing from the Administration like this is the smallest thing they can do to help the basketball program and requires shifting spring break by 1 week, so simple a cave man can do it
Shifting spring break affects tons of activities that are planned around the school's annual calendar. The SoCon tournament is only one gear in a gigantic conglomerate of activities that affect when classes are held.

You are being vague, can you be more specific as to what difficulties this will entail to shift spring break 1 week?
So we will move spring break to mid-march and tell the following groups to reorganize their spring schedules because of a basketball tournament 1.5 hours away that we want them to go to. The following events take place after/during spring break and now have 25% less time to schedule all their activities.

Classes
Mid-term exams & final exams (spring break always half a semester)
Music Department Concerts/Oratorios
Board of Trustees Meetings
Student Life Events (End of year formals, trips, celebrations, banquets, etc.)
Relay for Life
Admissions Deadlines (Several students work for admissions)
Accepted students days and spring tours (Several students are tour guides)
Easter Holidays
Graduate School Interviews
High School Scholarship Interview weekend

If students wanted to go to the tournament they would go, regardless of when spring break is.

Thanks for making my point, nothing that can't easily be adjusted
All you do is shift everything 1 week, it could not be any more simple, if the Administration supports this basketball program they will make the adjustment, I hope they do because it is a MUST
How many students do think will go to Asheville if we change spring break. From what I saw on this board, many posters were not happy with student turn out for most home games. There is no history of large number of students going to the tournament and it is not because of spring break. It has to do with winning. Win baby and the fans will come.

For the past 5 years yes it has been because of spring break
We are winning now, that's why we need to change spring break to a different week, that way we can bus tons of these kids up the Asheville the way Woff does, its the only way and it is a MUST
 #12747  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:35 am
Most of these Furman students live far from Greenville, they are going home on Spring Break as they do at every school

There are only 2 things required for Furman to have a great student turnout at the tournament
1) Be in school, not on spring break
2) Furman to bus them up, because they will want to go (we had large student turnouts for at least 7 home games this past year, and that number will continue to climb)

A lasting image from this past tournament, on Semifinal Sunday instead of running out to cheers from their own FU peers our team that had won 25 games ran out to boo's from hundreds of Wofford students for a game that we were not even about to play them in, that MUST change and its time to be proactive about it
Change the spring break schedule and get the buses lined up well in advance!
 #12892  by edwards555
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:32 am
The reason they should change the date is it is to their advantage to change the date. The name of the game today is admissions particularly full pay admissions. More applications result in higher standards. Wofford shows off its athletic facilities and uses its athletes when presenting itself to new students. Just as with what happened at Clemson, athletics has been one of the components that created a better institution.
 #12896  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:44 am
edwards555 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:32 am
The reason they should change the date is it is to their advantage to change the date. The name of the game today is admissions particularly full pay admissions. More applications result in higher standards. Wofford shows off its athletic facilities and uses its athletes when presenting itself to new students. Just as with what happened at Clemson, athletics has been one of the components that created a better institution.
Absolutely!
 #13115  by Bootie
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 am
It's interesting to me, dr, that you keep bouncing this topic to the top as though it hasn't gotten the attention or comments you want it to have. If you really want to get this idea in front of the administration and possibly see some results or be informed otherwise, I suppose some of them MIGHT stumble across it here, but you'd be better off contacting them directly.
 #13116  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:16 am
Bootie wrote:
It's interesting to me, dr, that you keep bouncing this topic to the top as though it hasn't gotten the attention or comments you want it to have. If you really want to get this idea in front of the administration and possibly see some results or be informed otherwise, I suppose some of them MIGHT stumble across it here, but you'd be better off contacting them directly.

This is extremely important
Gonna keep this near the top of the Basketball section until Furman does the right thing and gets the dates changed
 #13118  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:

Gonna keep this near the top of the Basketball section until Furman does the right thing and gets the dates changed
DR,
Would you be willing and able to find and post on here how the spring break dates for Furman differ from each or at least several of the following schools:
USC
Clemson
College of Charleston
UGA
UNC-CH
Winthrop
?
I don’t know what all the factors are relating to determining when spring break for Furman occurs. Nevertheless, being able to compare with such other schools might possibly be of interest to the people who frequent this board thinking about this.
Also, exactly what dates would YOU move Furman’s spring break to? And what would such a move impact, other than how many Furman students can likely attend SoCon Tournament (what are the potential downsides)?
 #13119  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Bootie wrote:

DR,
Would you be willing and able to find and post on here how the spring break dates for Furman differ from each or at least several of the following schools:
USC
Clemson
College of Charleston
UGA
UNC-CH
Winthrop
?
I don’t know what all the factors are relating to determining when spring break for Furman occurs. Nevertheless, being able to compare with such other schools might possibly be of interest to the people who frequent this board thinking about this.
Also, exactly what dates would YOU move Furman’s spring break to? And what would such a move impact, other than how many Furman students can likely attend SoCon Tournament (what are the potential downsides)?

Furman Spring break begins next year on Friday March 6th 2020
https://www.furman.edu/academics/university-calendar/

The SoCon tournament next year is March 6th through March 9th 2020

Furman Spring break needs to be adjusted to the following week to begin on March 13th 2020

All you do is switch the week that events take place for those 2 weeks, very simple when done nearly a year in advance