#13051  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:34 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Anyone interested in another Center from Hinsdale, Illinois (different HS).
https://247sports.com/Player/Barret-Benson-31584/

Matt and Barret follow each other on Twitter....maybe he can help lure him down here. 6-10, 240lbs...wears purple well.
He graduated early from Northwestern and has two years eligibility.
Very interesting find

So he would be eligible to play right away for 2 years? or just 1 year?
He should have two years of eligibility left. He only played two seasons and will be graduating early. I have no idea what his major was...so not sure if there's a graduate program at Furman that would even appeal to him. That could, in theory, be an issue.

https://nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4811
Looking at this it seems he will have only 1 year left, which would still be fine by me as we bring along Slawson and Lawrence
 #13053  by MNORM
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:57 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:34 pm
MNORM wrote:

Matt and Barret follow each other on Twitter....maybe he can help lure him down here. 6-10, 240lbs...wears purple well.
Very interesting find

So he would be eligible to play right away for 2 years? or just 1 year?
He should have two years of eligibility left. He only played two seasons and will be graduating early. I have no idea what his major was...so not sure if there's a graduate program at Furman that would even appeal to him. That could, in theory, be an issue.

https://nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4811
Looking at this it seems he will have only 1 year left, which would still be fine by me as we bring along Slawson and Lawrence
I believe you're correct.
 #13054  by fufanatic
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:38 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Tulane is a much better school than Georgia State.
Academically? No doubt. No argument from me. Just thought Hunter, with his resume, would have made a higher move up than the worst team in the American. They were 0-18 this year! But maybe he likes the city. Or the academic reputation. Or the money offered. Who knows.
Seems like a very doable project to improve a team that was 0-18 and to also get a lot of notice if he does improve it.
For sure. He'll do well there I'm sure. I'm just still surprised he didn't have or didn't want to wait for an offer from a bigger school/league. But that's enough Georgia State talk on this board.
 #13055  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:18 pm
fufanatic wrote:
affirm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
affirm wrote:
Academically? No doubt. No argument from me. Just thought Hunter, with his resume, would have made a higher move up than the worst team in the American. They were 0-18 this year! But maybe he likes the city. Or the academic reputation. Or the money offered. Who knows.
Seems like a very doable project to improve a team that was 0-18 and to also get a lot of notice if he does improve it.
For sure. He'll do well there I'm sure. I'm just still surprised he didn't have or didn't want to wait for an offer from a bigger school/league. But that's enough Georgia State talk on this board.
Thank you...I thought I was gonna have to become FUBeARPanther if y'all kept talking down GaSt's academics. FUBeAR finished up his MBA coursework @ Georgia State and YoungestMissFUBeAR is starting her Masters work there this Fall....so, I concur with your directive.

BTW - I will have no conflict at the 9/7/19 contest between the Paladins and the Panthers...unless the Panthers' Football Team engages YoungestMissFUBeAR for some Applied Behavior Analysis (whatever that is) work. #FUATT
 #13057  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:03 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
affirm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
affirm wrote:
Thank you...I thought I was gonna have to become FUBeARPanther if y'all kept talking down GaSt's academics. FUBeAR finished up his MBA coursework @ Georgia State and YoungestMissFUBeAR is starting her Masters work there this Fall....so, I concur with your directive.

BTW - I will have no conflict at the 9/7/19 contest between the Paladins and the Panthers...unless the Panthers' Football Team engages YoungestMissFUBeAR for some Applied Behavior Analysis (whatever that is) work. #FUATT
I did notice that Georgia State University is ranked #2 nationally by USNews & World Report in the category “undergraduate instruction”!
FUBeAR liked this
 #13065  by tya1
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:11 pm
MNORM wrote:

Benson's stats at Northwestern have been consistent through his career. He has played 8-9 minutes per game and averaged about 2 ppg and 2-3 rebounds. His rebounding has been respectable - on a 30 minutes a game basis he is averaging around 9 rpg this year. Not a big part of the offense at about 5-6 ppg per 30 minutes played. May be foul prone.

One of his former teammates transferred to Colgate and was named conference player of the year while helping Colgate to the Patriot League title and a trip to the NCAA tournament this year.
 #13069  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:41 pm
tya1 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:11 pm
MNORM wrote:

Benson's stats at Northwestern have been consistent through his career. He has played 8-9 minutes per game and averaged about 2 ppg and 2-3 rebounds. His rebounding has been respectable - on a 30 minutes a game basis he is averaging around 9 rpg this year. Not a big part of the offense at about 5-6 ppg per 30 minutes played. May be foul prone.

One of his former teammates transferred to Colgate and was named conference player of the year while helping Colgate to the Patriot League title and a trip to the NCAA tournament this year.

Yep that Colgate guy was the first thing I thought about, that guy averaged 16ppg and won patriot player of the year, he did not play at all and rode the bench at Northwestern
 #13083  by fufanatic
 Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:03 am
FUBeAR wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
affirm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
affirm wrote:

I got a masters from there. Loved the experience, loved Atlanta. Walking distance to Turner Field. Times were good.
FUBeAR liked this
 #13104  by tya1
 Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:15 pm
App. State hired Presbyterian coach Dustin Kerns as their new coach. Kerns had a successful two stint with the Blue Hose, leading them to a 20 win season which included two wins in the CIT. That was the first winning season for PC since they joined D1.

Christian Keeling, 6'4" guard, will transfer from Charleston Southern. He lead them in scoring , rebounding, assists, steals, and blocked shots. He scored almost as many points as the next two players combined. Could be tough to replace.

In the life comes at you fast category - a couple of weeks ago William and Mary was the early favorite in the CAA for next year. They had 6 of their top 7 players returning including all 5 starters. Their veteran coach of 16 years had more wins in the past 6 years than any other CAA team and the expectation that next year would be his best team yet. All in doubt now. The new AD fired the coach without much reason given and 5 of those top returnees have announced possible transfers, the star center is exploring his NBA chances, and their only recruit has announced he has backed off his commitment.
Affirm liked this
 #13105  by cavedweller2
 Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 am
Just had to massage the ego. Unless he was hired to clean up some unknown potential embarrassment to the University. Good luck to Bill and the bitch.
 #13148  by tya1
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:00 pm
Jerald Gillens-Butler, sophomore 6'4" 230 wing/guard at Butler, is transferring. He chose Butler originally over 20 reported offers. Furman was one of the teams recruiting him.
 #13225  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:59 pm
tya1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 pm
Reports out of Macon say that current Purdue assistant coach Greg Gary will be the new Mercer head coach. He has also been an assistant for Miami (FL), Tulane, South Florida, McNeese State, and Duquesne. Gary was head coach at Centenary College from 2008-10. He played at Tulane from 1989-92 where he set the school's career assist record.
Don't watch this if you don't want to hear good things about Mercer/Mercer Basketball.

Posting in this thread because initial interest in the change/hire at Mercer has been expressed by Furman Hoops Fans here. (In other words, FUBeAR doesn't want to read any ish about him posting Mercer stuff here. :) )

Coach Gary does say some good things about the SoCon's place on the national 'stage' and mentions "the Top 4 Teams" in the SoCon.

FUBeAR likes what he says about building relationships with Players so that they want to 'come back' and help build the future of the program as Alumni. That's been kinda important in building/rebuilding Furman Football...and is too often overlooked, IMO.
 #13247  by tya1
 Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:33 pm
Adam Flagler, freshman guard for Presbyterian, will transfer. Flagler scored 16 ppg and was Big South Conference freshman of the year. Tough break for PC after losing their coach a few days ago. Probably not an unexpected transfer.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.