• 2019-2020 Season

#12914  by tya1
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:47 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 am
Initially I think I'd pick Citadel for SoCon cellar dweller. They lose 4 starters in G Lew Stallworth, F Zane Najdawi and G Matt Frierson and G/F Conner Kern, and to me Stallworth and Najdawi were their 2 best players. Frierson was probably 4th best after Soph Rice....

The other candidates return mostly everyone....assuming that's a good thing when you're 4-14 in the SOCON...

Western returns 4 of 5 starters and 8 of top 9 players
VMI returns Parham, as well as every other contributor...no Sr's on the whole roster

And just to address Mercer...they lose 1 starter in G/F Jaylen Stowe who was 3rd in min played and reserve F Cory Kilby who played about 50% of available minutes. So they have a good core coming back

Mercer's Kilby started 26 of the 27 games he played this year and averaged 6 ppg and 3 rebounds . They have also lost freshman reserve guard D. J. Peavy to transfer.

Wofford's seniors scored about half of the Terriers points this year and made more than half of their free throws - that is a big hit. Also, Hoover and Murphy had great shooting percentages but will have to face the oppositions top defenders next year. Magee drew a lot of attention the past few years. I have no doubt they will have a good team, but probably closer to the previous years than this year.

UNCG loses about 1/3 of their scoring but over half of their three point shooting and over half of their assists.

I think Samford will be a top four team next year.

Chattanooga will probably be a middle of the pack team.

ETSU should be early favorite.
Last edited by tya1 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #12930  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:17 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 pm
It is time for the schedule. We have a right to know. Are they just lazy for taking so long. No wonder we have to schedule the Virginia Intermonts and Bob Jones of the world.
Pretty sure cavedweller2's and Flagman's schedule posts are in jest.
It takes a lot of time and work to line up the OOC schedule.
It was good that we had teams like Villanova, Loyola-Chicago, LSU, UNCW, UNCA, Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, USC Upstate, and Elon.
Hopefully the 2019-2020 schedule will include teams/conferences similar to those we had this year (those 9 that I just named, and their conference brethren);
...as well as improving by including AT LEAST 1 fewer non-D1 school and including instead AT LEAST 1 additional big name
from conferences like ACC, AAC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 12,
and/or name schools the likes of Army (Patriot League in basketball), Navy (Patriot League in basketball), Air Force (Mountain West), Yale (Ivy), Harvard (Ivy), Penn (Ivy), Princeton (Ivy), Brown (Ivy), Columbia (Ivy), Dartmouth (Ivy), and Cornell (Ivy).
 #12997  by Flagman
 Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:17 pm
I've never posted anything in jest, and neither has cavedweller. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cavedweller2 liked this
 #13002  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:36 pm
Flagman wrote:
I've never posted anything in jest, and neither has cavedweller. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uh huh
 #13005  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:49 pm
Flagman wrote:
Good. Such behavior is highly frowned upon here.
 #13114  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm
So we are doing an overseas trip this off season, does anyone know any specifics on that (just curious) when/where, ect.?
 #13128  by Flagman
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:31 pm
We need to go ahead and announce the 2019-2020 schedule in order to head off any anxiety that a delay may cause. Plus, it would give many on the board several months to express their angst, and give them a chance to get help for their PTSD.
GOAT, QCGlue liked this
 #13138  by CharlieFU
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:50 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:31 pm
We need to go ahead and announce the 2019-2020 schedule in order to head off any anxiety that a delay may cause. Plus, it would give many on the board several months to express their angst, and give them a chance to get help for their PTSD.
WARNING I will be bitterly disappounted if we haven’t scheduled games with Converse College, Sptbrg School for the Blind and the Citadel Women’s Club Team.
 #13150  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:09 pm
If it's like last year we will be watching football before the schedule is released. Remember we knew the whole OOC schedule before it was announced. :D
 #13166  by Affirm
 Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm
    Maybe there is a chance for Furman to play in the Sunshine Slam tournament, which will be Nov 8-10 in Kissimmee, FL.
    That tournament will have 8 teams, none which have been announced apparently.
      Also, there is a tournament in Jamaica (Jersey Mike's) Nov 22-24, for which LSU has been announced but 3 other teams have not been announced.
        Also, there is a tournament Barclay's Center Classic starting Nov 28, with NCSU and Memphis announced but with 2 other teams, which will begin with on-campus games not announced.
          There is a list of "notable teams not yet tied", including 23 schools of which Furman is not one. (However, the writer of the article apparently considers "notable teams" to be ones in Power Five Conferences plus Big East, AAC, and A10. No SoCon teams are seen anywhere in the entire article.)
            There are 2 tournaments in South Carolina Nov 21-22 & 24 with a total of 8 teams of which Furman is not one.
              There are a total of 26 tournaments altogether, with a total of approximately 140 teams involved, or at least 140 slots involved (some schools are involved in more than one).
              Here are some of the MID-MAJORS that are announced for participation in one or more such tournaments:
              Gardner-Webb, Kennesaw State, Stetson, Iona, Monmouth,
              Ball State, Portland, UTEP, Creighton, CofC,
              Pepperdine, Davidson, Boston University, UT-Martin, Northern Colorado,
              Northern Iowa, Richmond, Bradley, George Mason, Old Dominion,
              Central Connecticut State, Rider, Vermont, Bowling Green State, Fordham,
              Tulane, Ohio University, Coastal Carolina, Towson, St. Joseph's,
              Missouri State, Grand Canyon, Illinois State, Valparaiso.
                The above information is from the following source:
                https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018 ... anksgiving
                Most college basketball schedules are not released until approximately August, I believe; so we are approximately 4 months away.
                However most of the information about these 26 or so tournaments, including who is involved and the dates, is already known.
                Jasper and 1 others liked this
                 #13196  by fufanatic
                 Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:30 am
                affirm wrote:
                Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm
                  Maybe there is a chance for Furman to play in the Sunshine Slam tournament, which will be Nov 8-10 in Kissimmee, FL.
                  That tournament will have 8 teams, none which have been announced apparently.
                    Also, there is a tournament in Jamaica (Jersey Mike's) Nov 22-24, for which LSU has been announced but 3 other teams have not been announced.
                      Also, there is a tournament Barclay's Center Classic starting Nov 28, with NCSU and Memphis announced but with 2 other teams, which will begin with on-campus games not announced.
                        There is a list of "notable teams not yet tied", including 23 schools of which Furman is not one. (However, the writer of the article apparently considers "notable teams" to be ones in Power Five Conferences plus Big East, AAC, and A10. No SoCon teams are seen anywhere in the entire article.)
                          There are 2 tournaments in South Carolina Nov 21-22 & 24 with a total of 8 teams of which Furman is not one.
                            There are a total of 26 tournaments altogether, with a total of approximately 140 teams involved, or at least 140 slots involved (some schools are involved in more than one).
                            Here are some of the MID-MAJORS that are announced for participation in one or more such tournaments:
                            Gardner-Webb, Kennesaw State, Stetson, Iona, Monmouth,
                            Ball State, Portland, UTEP, Creighton, CofC,
                            Pepperdine, Davidson, Boston University, UT-Martin, Northern Colorado,
                            Northern Iowa, Richmond, Bradley, George Mason, Old Dominion,
                            Central Connecticut State, Rider, Vermont, Bowling Green State, Fordham,
                            Tulane, Ohio University, Coastal Carolina, Towson, St. Joseph's,
                            Missouri State, Grand Canyon, Illinois State, Valparaiso.
                              The above information is from the following source:
                              https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018 ... anksgiving
                              Most college basketball schedules are not released until approximately August, I believe; so we are approximately 4 months away.
                              However most of the information about these 26 or so tournaments, including who is involved and the dates, is already known.
                              Would be awesome to play in one of those tropical Thanksgiving tourneys. Not sure how those work. If you get invited, if you have to pay, how it counts against your games limit for the year. But would be a great opportunity at some national exposure and a March like situation of 3-4 games in 3-4 days.
                               #13204  by Affirm
                               Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:37 pm
                              I do not know whether the participating schools pay for all, part, or none of their cost to go. The schools closest to us (I already mentioned CCU and CofC) appears to be Gardner-Webb, Clemson, Georgia, USC, and Georgia Tech. At least one of the tournaments is a conference challenge tournament, MAAC vs. ASUN (Monmouth, Iona, Stetson, and Kennesaw State). It appears that none of the Power 5 Conference Challenges that occur within the season are not included in the list - they are "just games", not tournaments. I do not know what the downside would be for Furman to participate - maybe cost, maybe eliminating a chance to play some big name school for a big payoff, etc. (One of the 26 events listed is a PAC-12 game that will take place somewhere in China, involving Arizona State and Colorado.) I wonder when any of the SoCon teams, including Furman, have been involved in such tournament. I wonder that because I see no SoCon Teams participating this year in any that have been announced. I also wonder what the role is (if any) of the SoCon Commissioner (which is apparently a vacant position) is in getting conference teams into these tournaments. This is not a burning issue as far as I am concerned, but it is relevant to the topic of 2019-2020 basketball schedule.