4. Wofford
5. Western Carolina
6. VMI
7. Samford
8. The Citadel
9. Chattanooga
10. Mercer

Id say that looks about right at this juncture
If Richey goes out and gets us that big man stud, with our other returning 4 starters potential to stretch the floor and what should be an improved bench we can do this thing
 #12796  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:04 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 am
1. ETSU
2. Furman
3. UNCG
4. Wofford
5. Western Carolina
6. VMI
7. Samford
8. The Citadel
9. Chattanooga
10. Mercer
FUBeAR is certainly no hoops expert to the degree of soconjohn & DungeonRealm, but would be willing to wager an adult beverage or 3 that Mercer will not finish 10th in the SoCon in basketball next season.

To paraphrase Mr. Tripoli from the Fargo TV series, “Don’t care new Coach. Don’t care losing 2 starters. Won’t be 10th. That’s the message.”
 #12799  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:52 am
Agreed. Mercer will not be 10th. The bottom feeders will, not change.
 #12804  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:04 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 am
1. ETSU
2. Furman
3. UNCG
4. Wofford
5. Western Carolina
6. VMI
7. Samford
8. The Citadel
9. Chattanooga
10. Mercer
FUBeAR is certainly no hoops expert to the degree of soconjohn & DungeonRealm, but would be willing to wager an adult beverage or 3 that Mercer will not finish 10th in the SoCon in basketball next season.

To paraphrase Mr. Tripoli from the Fargo TV series, “Don’t care new Coach. Don’t care losing 2 starters. Won’t be 10th. That’s the message.”

Not a bet I would take :D To be honest I was mostly referring to the top
 #12832  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 pm
Wonder if Gregg Marshall would be up for a game against us @ Wichita St. next season

Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fessor liked this
 #12835  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 pm
I am hesitant to put us near the top of the league next year. I keep thinking about practically every time MR went to the bench how we struggled to score. I know CBR and staff can get this figured out. The good thing is that the new freshmen will be here this summer and the team can practice since they have an overseas trip this summer. That should help.
 #12859  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 am
apaladin wrote:
I am hesitant to put us near the top of the league next year. I keep thinking about practically every time MR went to the bench how we struggled to score. I know CBR and staff can get this figured out. The good thing is that the new freshmen will be here this summer and the team can practice since they have an overseas trip this summer. That should help.
Yep the overseas trip should be great for them

Think about this, Lyons made the jump from 8ppg to 16ppg
Would we have ever guessed last summer that Rafferty was going to have the great season he did, I don't remember anybody saying Rafferty was going to be the best player in the SoCon, and yet he was

We are going to get new guys stepping it up and exploding on the scene again next season and taking control of this team, its going to happen
 #12866  by youwouldno
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:25 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Would we have ever guessed last summer that Rafferty was going to have the great season he did, I don't remember anybody saying Rafferty was going to be the best player in the SoCon, and yet he was

We are going to get new guys stepping it up and exploding on the scene again next season and taking control of this team, its going to happen
Actually I did say that Rafferty was the best player in the SoCon.
 #12882  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:04 am
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:25 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Actually I did say that Rafferty was the best player in the SoCon.

Props!!!
 #12885  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:48 am
Jasper wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:45 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:11 am
If we can find a contributing big man out there for next season with one of our 2 scholarships left I would actually list us ahead of ETSU to win the league next year, I am just not sold on them having enough shooters

Also Wofford should be easier to defend, with Magee gone teams can focus on Hoover more, plus their two returning bigs Aluma and Goodwin have no shooting ability outside the paint at all
From what I saw of Wofford's bench last night, they have some very able replacements coming along. That is what a good program does. There is no question that they will miss Magee and Jackson - even Pegram places a big role but we are losing one of the great players in school history. His value was never more apparent to this team than against Wichita State. Who knows what ETSU will suit up next year. And UNCG is not going away. They have a lot coming in I am told. Another solid program. Furman should be in the mix for league leadership but I cannot see FU as favorite to win the league.
Always difficult to replace arguably the best player in the history of your program.

Wofford will be good, certainly. However, they are going to really miss McGee as a shot creator and guy that can extend a defense.
 #12889  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 am
Initially I think I'd pick Citadel for SoCon cellar dweller. They lose 4 starters in G Lew Stallworth, F Zane Najdawi and G Matt Frierson and G/F Conner Kern, and to me Stallworth and Najdawi were their 2 best players. Frierson was probably 4th best after Soph Rice....

The other candidates return mostly everyone....assuming that's a good thing when you're 4-14 in the SOCON...

Western returns 4 of 5 starters and 8 of top 9 players
VMI returns Parham, as well as every other contributor...no Sr's on the whole roster

And just to address Mercer...they lose 1 starter in G/F Jaylen Stowe who was 3rd in min played and reserve F Cory Kilby who played about 50% of available minutes. So they have a good core coming back
 #12906  by Flagman
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:23 pm
Why haven’t they released the schedule yet for ‘19-‘20?
gman, Paul C, furpep liked this
 #12907  by cavedweller2
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 pm
It is time for the schedule. We have a right to know. Are they just lazy for taking so long. No wonder we have to schedule the Virginia Intermonts and Bob Jones of the world.