• NCAA Tourney

#12860  by Kennypowers
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 am
Sorry you refuse to actually consider what I'm saying. It's far from a rant. You are the sour grapes guy cutting down a fellow school's moment in the sun because of jealousy. I really think you don't know what you're talking about but I'll leave it al that and will quit triggering you on the board.
 #12861  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 am
Kennypowers wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 am
Sorry you refuse to actually consider what I'm saying. It's far from a rant. You are the sour grapes guy cutting down a fellow school's moment in the sun because of jealousy. I really think you don't know what you're talking about but I'll leave it al that and will quit triggering you on the board.

You're not saying anything
Jealousy?
Lol you are such a wofford fan its not even funny, he shot 14-71, he did that not me, get real
 #12864  by soconjohn
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 am
Here is a really profound prediction...Furman will win 20 or more games in hoops again next year and have a chance at regular season and tournament titles...Mark it down.
Fuonetime, dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #12865  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 am
Here is a really profound prediction...Furman will win 20 or more games in hoops again next year and have a chance at regular season and tournament titles...Mark it down.
Ill add we are going dancing in 2020 or 2021 or both :!:
 #12883  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:08 am
Back to the tourney, it hasn't lived up to last year. Pretty much no one to pull for. Maybe Houston or Gonzaga. Outside of that all the others are from power conferences unlike last year.
furpop16 liked this
 #12884  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:38 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 am
I agree. Furman is clearly relevant in SoCon football again but the step back to national relevance is a big one - for all the reasons we have often discussed on this board. IMO, we are on the road to the relevance with this football staff and the program they are building. I see a depth in overall talent going into next season that I have not seen in a long time. If one of our QB's develops quickly, I think we can make a significant impact on the playoffs. I actually think we are much closer to national relevance in football than we are in basketball. This season was fun and exciting but I think much too much was made over the Villanova win. The Cats lost most of their national championship team from last year and although they won the Big East tourney, they are really not back to being a good team. The Big East is not the league it was a decade ago and are showing that in the tournament. Villanova got their doors blown off last night, Seton Hall lost to Wofford and Georgetown lost in the first round of the NIT. The reality is that the Wofford BB program is much further along than Furman's and they should be congratulated for a great year. If Magee makes 2 of his 12 attempts at 3, they beat Kentucky and go on to the Sweet 16. THAT is relevance. Not withstanding, I hope and expect to beat the snot out of them in football in 2019.
To be fair, there's really only one program that's nationally relevant in FCS football. I mean, teams make the playoffs and all, but your season ends whenever you run into North Dakota State.
furpop16, fufanatic, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #12887  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 am
Jasper wrote:
I agree. Furman is clearly relevant in SoCon football again but the step back to national relevance is a big one - for all the reasons we have often discussed on this board. IMO, we are on the road to the relevance with this football staff and the program they are building. I see a depth in overall talent going into next season that I have not seen in a long time. If one of our QB's develops quickly, I think we can make a significant impact on the playoffs. I actually think we are much closer to national relevance in football than we are in basketball. This season was fun and exciting but I think much too much was made over the Villanova win. The Cats lost most of their national championship team from last year and although they won the Big East tourney, they are really not back to being a good team. The Big East is not the league it was a decade ago and are showing that in the tournament. Villanova got their doors blown off last night, Seton Hall lost to Wofford and Georgetown lost in the first round of the NIT. The reality is that the Wofford BB program is much further along than Furman's and they should be congratulated for a great year. If Magee makes 2 of his 12 attempts at 3, they beat Kentucky and go on to the Sweet 16. THAT is relevance. Not withstanding, I hope and expect to beat the snot out of them in football in 2019.
Good comments.
I will acknowledge that we are relevant in either sport (football, basketball) in which we can win SoCon championship and/or playoff postseason game at least once every 5 years.
Not quite there in basketball.
Already there in football - though not relevant in football like we were in years past.
 #12891  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
To be fair, there's really only one program that's nationally relevant in FCS football. I mean, teams make the playoffs and all, but your season ends whenever you run into North Dakota State.
As always (cough, cough) Jackal, our thinking is perfectly aligned. When I read that nonsense previously posted, the exact same thought crossed my mind. I suppose cases could be made for James Madison (15 Playoff appearances, NC’s in 2016 & 2004 - beat NDSU in 2016 semifinals @NDSU :o ) & Eastern Washington (13 Playoff appearances, NC 2010 - beat NDSU in 2010 quarterfinals @ EWU...BEFORE NDSU began their epic domination of FCS in 2011), but the other 122 FCS Teams (and the aforementioned pair, really) are ALL just in different stages of trying to catch the bizuns.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #12893  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:46 am
Let's compare basketball records over the past 4 years...basically since Niko got this thing turned around

Furman:
Overall 90-46
SoCon 51-21 (reg season)
3 20-win seasons
All 4 years above .500
Ken Pom ratings '16-'19 and avg: 175, 106, 95, 59 (avg 109)

Wofford:
Overall 82-52
SoCon 50-22 (reg season)
2 20-win seasons
2 season over .500
Ken Pom ratings '16-'19 and avg: 187, 142, 163, 19 (avg 128)

Sure, they had a fantastic year and should be commended for it, and sure, I'm a little jealous...but to say their basketball program is significantly better than ours is just a straight up fallacy....that isn't supported by any facts.
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
FUBeAR, FU3, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #12894  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I just looked this up ... NDSU hasn't LOST an FBS game since 2009. Can't imagine how hard it must be for them to get games. I wouldn't want to play them if I was an FBS school.

2018 - No game
2017 - No game
2016 - Beat #11 Iowa, 23-21
2015 - No game
2014 - Beat Iowa State, 34-14
2013 - Beat Kansas State, 24-21
2012 - Beat Colorado State, 22-7
2011 - Beat Minnesota, 37-24
2010 - Beat Kansas, 6-3
2009 - Lost to Iowa State, 34-17
FUBeAR liked this
 #12895  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:11 am
Paul C wrote:
...to say their basketball program is significantly better than ours is just a straight up fallacy....that isn't supported by any facts.
Paul - you are so out of touch with the times. Facts, today, are irrelevant when people have opinions and pre-conceived notions. As the future Premier of the US of [Fill in your own 'truth' in this Blank] recently stated,

“There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.”

The recent posts clearly stated that poster's opinions and you have no business using facts to appropriate the 'moral high ground' occupied by those opinions!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #12897  by JohnW
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 am
First let me say that as a Furman fan for 50 years I am very happy about the overall athletic program. I think a strong case can be made that it is the best in the SoCon. We have two obvious problems in men's lacrosse and baseball. Otherwise pretty strong across the board. I am convinced football is on track to again becoming a top 10 program. With a solid QB performance this year I think we win 8-9 games, better than average 9-10. Basketball, of which I had almost despaired, is now a solid 20 game winner. People are actually going to Timmons and the early season excitement showed it's possible to become Greenville's team with all that would mean to the university. A few of us remember the 70s, for the first time in years I believe we can get there again. There are challenges to overcome, most notably a ridiculous media environment, social media can somewhat offset that, and budget restraints. We'll lose coaches and admin from time to time. It's inevitable. Here we must hope for wise leadership ( budgetary an personnel) and marketing. We really need to up our game there. Furman is a great athletic product and the school could do so much better at selling that brand to take us to another level. I am optimistic.
fufanatic, QCGlue, dornb and 4 others liked this
 #12899  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm
Paul C wrote:
Let's compare basketball records over the past 4 years...basically since Niko got this thing turned around

Furman:
Overall 90-46
SoCon 51-21 (reg season)
3 20-win seasons
All 4 years above .500

Wofford:
Overall 82-52
SoCon 50-22 (reg season)
2 20-win seasons
2 season over .500

Sure, they had a fantastic year and should be commended for it, and sure, I'm a little jealous...but to say their basketball program is significantly better than ours is just a straight up fallacy....that isn't supported by any facts.
You're absolutely right. Furman's men's hoops program is right up there with any in the league over the last few years. The difference between the two and even UNCG? The others have found a way to finish the job when it matters most. I have confidence that we will do that soon enough, but until we do, it will hang over the program and leave many unsatisfied.
Jasper liked this
 #12911  by dinhead
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:25 pm
Paul C wrote:

Furman:
Overall 90-46
SoCon 51-21 (reg season)
3 20-win seasons
All 4 years above .500

Wofford:
Overall 82-52
SoCon 50-22 (reg season)
2 20-win seasons
2 season over .500

Unfortunately Wofford has been significantly better in the games that you didn't count. The SoCon tournament. Furman's 3-4 record is well below that of the Terriers who won as many games in this years tournament as Furman has in the past four years combined.

Four Furman teams that were good enough to win the tournament and four underachieving performances. That's no fallacy and it's
supported by facts that you conveniently left out.

I can't stand the damn Terriers but if you're going to make a comparison you have to count all the games especially the most important ones.
Affirm liked this
 #12915  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:52 pm
dinhead wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:25 pm
Paul C wrote:

Furman:
Overall 90-46
SoCon 51-21 (reg season)
3 20-win seasons
All 4 years above .500

Wofford:
Overall 82-52
SoCon 50-22 (reg season)
2 20-win seasons
2 season over .500

Unfortunately Wofford has been significantly better in the games that you didn't count. The SoCon tournament. Furman's 3-4 record is well below that of the Terriers who won as many games in this years tournament as Furman has in the past four years combined.

Four Furman teams that were good enough to win the tournament and four underachieving performances. That's no fallacy and it's
supported by facts that you conveniently left out.

I can't stand the damn Terriers but if you're going to make a comparison you have to count all the games especially the most important ones.

Step one can be done right now

Change the dang spring break schedule for students by 1 week right now