• Some coaching changes and transfers of interest

#12766  by gman
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm a big fan of Richey but I think his near-term promotion prospects are being overblown. It's inconceivable, for instance, that Vandy would even talk to him at this point in his career.

Richey inherited a solid program, which is a huge difference between himself and Medved. Also of importance was Medved's extensive history as a major program assistant, which is something that BR lacks entirely. And even so, Medved left for a solid raise but mediocre job . . . he then wound up at Colorado State because of his connection there as a former assistant.

Getting Richey a raise certainly should be a major priority, to head off a lateral move. But at this point it's very unlikely he will be on the radar of major programs.
He is on the radar. Bob is already ahead of Niko in his coaching ability, and that is not meant to be a cut toward Niko. I like him.
 #12770  by Jasper
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:48 pm
youwouldno wrote:
I'm a big fan of Richey but I think his near-term promotion prospects are being overblown. It's inconceivable, for instance, that Vandy would even talk to him at this point in his career.

Richey inherited a solid program, which is a huge difference between himself and Medved. Also of importance was Medved's extensive history as a major program assistant, which is something that BR lacks entirely. And even so, Medved left for a solid raise but mediocre job . . . he then wound up at Colorado State because of his connection there as a former assistant.

Getting Richey a raise certainly should be a major priority, to head off a lateral move. But at this point it's very unlikely he will be on the radar of major programs.
You sir have committed blasphemy with this realistic evaluation. :o You are clearly not a big enough fan.
 #12773  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 pm
Richey was arguably as responsible as Niko for the "solid program" he inherited. Also, Niko's teams never played as well offensively as this year's team. This team was at another level.
 #12783  by youwouldno
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:07 pm
gman wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

He is on the radar. Bob is already ahead of Niko in his coaching ability, and that is not meant to be a cut toward Niko. I like him.
There are some major program ADs who undoubtedly have heard his name, if that's what you mean. But in terms of being a potential target? No way.

Major programs just do not hire 2nd year mid-major coaches with no major college background. It never happens.

For example, the now-departed Bryce Drew at Vandy, from a well-known coaching family, was an NCAA tournament hero, 1st round NBA draft pick, and put in 5 years at Valpo as head coach, going to the NIT twice, NCAA tournament twice, and winning a game in both of those NCAA tournament appearances. That's the kind of resume that takes a coach from the mid-major to power conference level.

I hope Richey's coaching resume is similarly illustrative in a few years, but it certainly isn't now.
Jasper, underjack liked this
 #12784  by gman
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:07 pm
gman wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

There are some major program ADs who undoubtedly have heard his name, if that's what you mean. But in terms of being a potential target? No way.

Major programs just do not hire 2nd year mid-major coaches with no major college background. It never happens.

For example, the now-departed Bryce Drew at Vandy, from a well-known coaching family, was an NCAA tournament hero, 1st round NBA draft pick, and put in 5 years at Valpo as head coach, going to the NIT twice, NCAA tournament twice, and winning a game in both of those NCAA tournament appearances. That's the kind of resume that takes a coach from the mid-major to power conference level.

I hope Richey's coaching resume is similarly illustrative in a few years, but it certainly isn't now.
A potential target. Absolutely.
 #12785  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:42 pm
Well, we know that schools such as Drake will consider those sorts of coaches and whether it's to a major program or not, once he's gone, he's gone.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've seen enough to know this is someone to make a concerted effort to hang on to.
Affirm liked this
 #12786  by fufanatic
 Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:25 pm
Fessor wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:42 pm
Well, we know that schools such as Drake will consider those sorts of coaches and whether it's to a major program or not, once he's gone, he's gone.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've seen enough to know this is someone to make a concerted effort to hang on to.
I agree. I think what we need to worry about is another coach leaving for a marginally better position - AKA Furman to Drake to Colorado State. The incentive package needs to be enough to where the only consideration would be a power conference school or a Wichita or Gonzaga. At which point, he’s probably done enough for the school where we are bummed he’s leaving, but understanding.
Fessor, dornb, Affirm liked this
 #12918  by tya1
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:47 pm
Mike Young has been at Wofford for 30 years. I don't think there are many jobs he would leave Spartanburg to take. Maybe an ACC or SEC type job but I doubt he leaves for Drake.

And the truth is that a lot of those ACC or SEC type athletic directors would have their doubts. Young has never shown that he can recruit the four and five star players high major teams thrive on. There is no doubt he can coach. That is only part of what HMs are looking for.
 #12919  by tya1
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 pm
Trey Doomes, 6'3" freshman at West Virginia, is planning to transfer. Furman was one of his early offers in high school - the summer after his sophomore year. He chose WVU over a couple of dozen offers including Georgia, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Mississippi, and a bunch of mid-majors. He is from Acworth, GA and attended Allatoona HS - Daniel Fowler's alma mater.

Doomes is a terrific athlete but wasn't much of a three point shooter.

Seems like someone we might be interested in. Great defender who can really take it to the hoop with speed and toughness.

(Addendum)

There are some interesting comments out there about Doomes leaving.

Doomes was originally going to redshirt this year because of all the guards on the WVU squad but coach Bob Huggins removed the redshirt in January and then didn't even play him much. Doomes ended up only playing 46 minutes all year. This despite Huggins calling Doomes "the best athlete on the team, by far." Some WVU fans thought Doomes was being "punished" for some unexplained reason. Four players on the WVU team have announced transfers.
 #12921  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 pm
tya1 wrote:
Trey Doomes, 6'3" freshman at West Virginia, is planning to transfer. Doomes is a terrific athlete but wasn't much of a three point shooter.
Deuce Doomes has a better ring to it anyway.
Jasper liked this
 #12923  by MNORM
 Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 am
tya1 wrote:
Trey Doomes, 6'3" freshman at West Virginia, is planning to transfer. Furman was one of his early offers in high school - the summer after his sophomore year. He chose WVU over a couple of dozen offers including Georgia, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Mississippi, and a bunch of mid-majors. He is from Acworth, GA and attended Allatoona HS - Daniel Fowler's alma mater.

Doomes is a terrific athlete but wasn't much of a three point shooter.

Seems like someone we might be interested in. Great defender who can really take it to the hoop with speed and toughness.

(Addendum)

There are some interesting comments out there about Doomes leaving.

Doomes was originally going to redshirt this year because of all the guards on the WVU squad but coach Bob Huggins removed the redshirt in January and then didn't even play him much. Doomes ended up only playing 46 minutes all year. This despite Huggins calling Doomes "the best athlete on the team, by far." Some WVU fans thought Doomes was being "punished" for some unexplained reason. Four players on the WVU team have announced transfers.
As an Akron Zips fan going back to the 80's, attended his basketball camps and many games...
Bob Huggins is a putz...the anti-CBR.
 #12946  by tya1
 Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 pm
Reports out of Macon say that current Purdue assistant coach Greg Gary will be the new Mercer head coach. He has also been an assistant for Miami (FL), Tulane, South Florida, McNeese State, and Duquesne. Gary was head coach at Centenary College from 2008-10. He played at Tulane from 1989-92 where he set the school's career assist record.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.